“Good hotel but crappy food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport

Save Saved
You added Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport to your Saves list
Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   315 Clyde Fant Parkway, Shreveport, LA 71101 (Formerly Harrah's Shreveport Casino and Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Summer Stay & Dine
Ranked #13 of 36 hotels in Shreveport
“Good hotel but crappy food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two nights for our anniversary trip. We had a king room which was a good size with a comfortable bed and arm chair. The room was clean enough but there were a few things that could be improved. The casino was our favorite out of all the ones we have visited here. It is a little smoky but not too terribly. Our biggest complaint was the food. We ate at both the buffet and Smokey Joe's. The buffet was awful and way too expensive for no taste or variety. Smokey Joe's food was overpowered by pepper and just dull. We would definitely stay again but we will eat elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We took an overnight girl's trip to Shreveport, being that we had never been there. Check-in was fast and easy and the complimentary valet parking is a nice perk. The casino was fair, but entirely too smokey. The room was spacious and very nice, but it was not as clean as it could have been -- all of the light fixtures were dusty, the bathroom floor needed to be sweeped and mopped, mirror had not been cleaned, and the bathtub did not drain properly. I didn't want to seem nit picky, so I did not complain about these issues; they were minor issues that I could deal with them.

However, after I woke up the next morning and was sitting on the edge of the bed, texting with my husband, something on the pillow caught my eye. The end of the exposed pillow, at the pillow case opening, was filthy; there was something that appeared to be dried vomit on the pillow, and I SLEPT ON THAT all night! That means my face (and most likely my open mouth) came into contact with some strangers bodily substance. I find that completely unacceptable. I complained to the front desk and the housekeeping manager and hotel manager came to the room to speak to me. They apologized profusely and offered me a $10 food credit. I did not accept, because we were hitting the road ASAP, but I think that was quite small considering how unsanitary the issue at hand was. I expected a little more compassion in the handling of such an issue and was kind of shocked when that's all they could do. I should have contacted the health department, but that thought did not even cross my mind at the time.

I am unwilling to compromise my own health at the expense of housekeeping's laziness. I will NEVER be back to Sam's Town in Shreveport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of your experience at Sam's Town. We apologize that you had issues in the hotel. We understand that this was a horrible experience. We strive to provide a memorable and enjoyable experience here, and we dropped the ball in this case. We invite you to visit our website and send us an email so that we may reach out to you and try to fix this issue. Rest assured that your comments are being forwarded to the hotel department. We hope to hear from you soon.
Tampa, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I spent two sleep disturbed nights there earlier this week. I was in room 1919 next to the loudest nonstop elevator you could imagine. I called to complain and they said they would move me the following day. Unfortunately I was busy at a conference and could not get away to move to a quieter room. Needless to say, I was thrilled to check out the next day.

Their steakhouse was closed, so the only option was the buffet which was fair to say the least. All about quantity with little quality.

Tried to give some money away in the casino, and the wall of smoke was intolerable. I was a gambler on steroids based on how quickly I tried to escape the smoke filled area.

I will not return, and if forced to attend another conference at this location, will look for another place to stay that invests in a modern air filtration system like they have in Vegas where you are spared secondhand smoke. I know what a brisket in a smoker feels like.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for writing a review of your experience at Sam's Town. We apologize that you had issues in your room, the buffet and our casino. We strive to provide a memorable and enjoyable experience here, and it seems as if we didn't do so in your case. We invite you to visit our website and send us an email so that we may reach out to you and try to fix this issue. Rest assured that your comments are being forwarded to the hotel, food and beverage and casino departments. We hope to hear from you soon.
dallas, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went for my husband's birthday. Got a great rate for Saturday night and the promotion for Saturdays in August was 13X the points. We had the BEST time. We requested a room close to the elevator (for later!) and Chiffon at the front desk hooked us up. The only way we could have been any closer is if we were in another elevator. We were in 714 just a few steps away. I had a minor mishap (nothing to do with Sam's Town, just my own stupidity). Sheila (Security) took great care of me. And the next day when we saw her, she remembered us! We hugged and talked for a few. She's a great employee and made me feel really special. Sam's Town Live is a really nice bar. We were happy to see what we refer to as "perfect hair bartender" and if you've been there, you;ll know who I mean. He is so friendly and actually remembered us from last time. I don't know why this hotel/casino would get any bad reviews. Our room was perfect (love the fact that there's a vanity and bench and the toilet has its own door). Room was clean, the view was perfect. What more can you ask for? Guess you just can't please some people. We are already planning our next trip. LOVE YOU SAM'S TOWN!! aND THE BUFFET....really good for the money. They had some really great greens, tender prime rib and so much more. You gotta go!

Room Tip: We prefer close to the elevator. We didn't experience any of the noise other travelers talked ab...
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Well furnished nicely sized rooms, extremely clean with comfortable bed, very clean with quality bath amenities. Jazz Sunday Brunch buffet was very good, with a wide variety including shrimp and crab legs. Staff was very friendly, and efficient, except a long wait one day for valet to bring our car.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room if you can get it.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I brought my Mother and Mother-in-law here for a girls weekend trip. When we arrived we had no problem parking there is more than enough room to park, some people have wrote on there reviews there wasnt covered parking but I prefer a larger parking lot over covered parking anyhow. The line for check in was very long at 4pm so I just played slots until 6ish then checked in with no wait. One thing I did notice is that all the other casinos in Shreveport the casino area is away from the check in area its totally seperate but this one you walk in and immediatley see the casino and the smell of smoke is very apparent ( it was pretty strong maybe not the best ventilating system). The rooms were so nice and HUGE, the beds were so comfy and I slept great!!! We played slot machines the whole time there and the payout was good (or maybe we just had good luck). The waitresses were very kind and would stop and ask if we needed anything. We ate the complimentary breakfast it was very good. We enjoyed our stay here and would definatley come back again. The only complaint would be after getting home we realized we left something in the room I called that same night of arriving home they stated they would have to talk to the supervisor and get back with me, no one ever called back I called again 2 days later and same thing they would have supervisor of security call and I still have not heard back, so I think they are lacking in the department of communicating. Another guest was having the same issue when we were checking out they had left something behind as well and no one seemed to know anything about the lost and found.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Beaumont, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

A last minute trip for a mini-vacation. The valet was not a problem. Didn't see a Bell Hop but I lug myself. Check in was quick. Booked a suite due to night and day sleeping. Ok it was a comp. I sleep days and gamble all night. Wife is more normal. Walked into the spacious suite with separate sitting / living room with a modern couch. Bedroom next door with comfortabe bed then bathroom. Every room had plenty of room to stretch or visit. TV in bedroom and sitting room. Coffee maker in the bathroom - Separate make up area for the wife - High tub to crawl over for a morning shower or bath. Soap Shampoo Conditioner - Coffee and condiments there in the bath. Shower was hot nothing fancy but it works. Some peeling wallpaper in the shower area. Dust bunnies in corners. Room was clean. Fridge was in a cabinet looking area. Night stands had no handles but I don't use them.

Food area confusing with one eating area open when other is closed -

Smokey Joes a standard sit down with good food and a Saturday mini buffet for morning breakfast although it doesn;t start till after 8 am. Food is good solid and well portioned.

Java's Deli - Sandwich Burger Snack's and Starbucks. It's edible -

International Buffet with odd hours - has gotten a little better than a year ago but has a long way to go. Veggies die a horrible death by steam (they are mushy). Carving station has a choice of meats and grill your prime from rare to whatever temp you like. Staff talks to each other I can't figure out what they have so much to say in the inner circle. Drink refills are sluggish - everybody talking to each other not serving.
Brunch is not the best or second best maybe the weak link. Hours mostly lunch / evening. Calling lunch Brunch with a spatter of breakfast foods Saturday and Sunday when its still lunch is an insult. Usually I like a good hearty breakfast. Ihop is over the bridge as is Harrah's. Brunch is a half hee haw attempt at the International Buffet at Sam's Town. Skip it.

William B's Steakhouse is the saving grace with consistant service and good food. Steak Diane was tender and moist - Monkfish special was good and salad and desert was very nice. Reservations but it's worth it.

Casino was down a strong notch - can you say remedial dealer school.

Craps was a total disaster the dealers could barely make a payout if they remembered or noticed a bet on the layout. Don't Pass was worse they kept taking the wins down didn't know how to pay any bet. Off and On bet was worse totally clueless (Come bet with a rehit no odds) - Stick man kept serving "7's" - and stickman stared at people confused when they were irritated or turned bets off or took bets down - sloppiest dealing looked like a street game than a Casino game - It took so long to pay out bets I fell asleep standing and may have missed a roll - no wonder everybody pulls up a chair and sits - I've seen chess games move faster.
Blackjack was as expected - a least they could make 95% of the pay outs missed a few and had to be called back or took a long time to continue. They seemed to count the drawer every other hand and rearrange chips - delay delay. Slots are plentiful and payoff's average with beverage servers there - aha moment - the beverage folks were there didn't have to search them out or call on a regular basis.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport? Share your experiences!