“Never Again!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport

You added Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport to your Saves list
Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   315 Clyde Fant Parkway, Shreveport, LA 71101 (Formerly Harrah's Shreveport Casino and Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Holiday Special Rates
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Shreveport
Dallas, Texas
“Never Again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

My second time to stay. The first time was good, however this trip not so good. Wow... checked in to room, mold all around bathtub. Smoking room, with no ash trays. Asked to change rooms, was accomodated. Only to find this room had mold, the whole bottom drawer to dresser was missing, fuzzy reception on TV, and ankle high standing water in slow draining tub. EWWWWWWW we were stuck, my sis and hubby were celebrating 16yrs together. I took pictures of this flea bag hotel and will be in touch with Sam. DONT do it tell ya!!!! Find another place to saty!
~ unhappy travels

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
adrianmcdole, Online Representative at Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
We're deeply sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, and would like to learn more about what happened. Could you give us a call at 877-429-0711, and ask to speak to our Customer Service Manager? They'd be very interested in getting more details from you. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I was leery due to some of the recent reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes I arrived at a very busy time, Sunday evening, and the valet lady doing the expediting was very rude when directing me where to go. But other than her everyone else was extremely nice an professional my entire week there. I never saw that lady again after the first day, all of the other valets were awesome, helping me with my packages, laptop etc each morning and afternoon. The ladies in Smokey Joes and the staff at the buffet restaurant were extremely kind and courteous and often chatted with me as I was alone. The food was average, what you would expect at a Ryan's or national chain but the portion sizes are huge... in fact too big. I hated throwing away extra food each day. Outstanding Fried chicken on the buffet, and crab leg night was pretty good considering the volume of legs they had to serve LOL.

Pros: Clean, clean, clean rooms. No skimping on the bleach here, the staff did a good job cleaning each day. Decent places to eat on property with decent value. Loose slots in the casino. I start with $20 won about $50 - 100 each night then would quit. One night I won $400. Felt good to leave ahead! LOL. Unlike the place next door where I lost $10 in less than 5 minutes! Stick to Samstown for your slots and you should be okay. No loud sounds in the bed area as its a good distance from the door. Nice view of the river and downtown. Need a room key to go up in elevator. Nice 3 floor casino with lots of slots. If you're into gaming tables you might be disappointed, not many of those.

Cons: I hear you have to pay for internet, I don't know as I used my 3G device, but if you do that would be a con. Needs a refresh on carpet, walls, etc. Wear and tear is beginning to show. Things were clean but gently worn. Too much smoke in the casino, need better air filtration or need to develop a none smoking floor. I got sick / scratchy throat from inhaling too much 2nd hand smoke while there. Thus I was only in the casino for 1 to 1/2 hours a night. Would have spent more time if there was a less smoky spot to be. BTW, I'm a former smoker so that tells you how bad it is.

Be sure to check your bill. They over charged me by using a rate different than the one I reserved online on the last night, but they corrected it immediately when I pointed it out. Glad I had my reservation confirmation with me!

I'm planning to stay again when I have business there and can get a rate my company covers again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a good river view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Queen City Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

The staff at this hotel and the Smokey Joes restaurant need a lesson in manners. They are rude and lazy. If you want to be ignored or treated like a low class citizen stay here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I am staying at the property as I am writing this. The staff has been great so far, but do not come here if you are looking for anything other than slots. Only a few tables are open and there are lines 2 deep to try and play any table games. I would be very frustrated if I came here to gamble. The only negative comment I would have about the hotel is that the lobby has an awful smell, like murphys oil soap and cheap perfume. If you are staying in Shreveport its a decent hotel, but evidentially they do not want you to gamble here.

• Stayed March 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We've stayed here a number of times over the years and sadly, the decline has been a steady one. Stayed two nights, a sleepless sunday night and a near sleepless monday night. You can hear every door open/close and every word being spoken in the corridors, and no one was yelling. The air conditioners are more like swamp coolers, in other words, the room won't get any cooler than a swamp and stays every bit as humid. Don't expect much in the way of coffee in the room. They've changed the coffee makers from 4 cup capacity to single cup capacity and you get two packets of coffee that tastes like goats have lived in it (they'd rather you buy coffee from the deli). We ate at Smoky Joe's the first night and had the fried catfish, it was the "special" priced at $10.99. It was so "special" that you couldn't cut it with a fork. We showed the server how tough and overcooked it was and we wern't even offered replacements. The french fries were fine as was the half full small bowl of cole slaw. She couldn't have cared less. The breakfast wasn't any better. The scrambled eggs were hard as a rock and stale, the hash browns were near raw (not browned at all and hard), the pancakes required a knife to cut them, and the bacon was like eating a burnt wood shingle. Another nasty $25.00 meal. We wern't willing to risk the International Buffet at $21.00 per person so I can't comment there (most buffets are usually nasty anyway). On to the casino itself... Bar none, the dirtiest casino in town. There were empty drink cups, full ashtrays, ashes, and miscellaneous small trash in between the slots everywhere. At every other casino there were at least three folks on each floor walking around cleaning up and wiping things down constantly. Not so at Sam's Town. We saw one lady, moving at a snail's pace, on one level. That was it. The elevator smelled of burnt tar. The slots are in disrepair and are not being properly maintained. I experienced 4 "general reel tilt" breakdowns in a matter of 2 hours. It took a minimum of 20 minutes for a technician to show up and fix it each time. The technician apologized each time, stating that there had been some "cutbacks" at Sam's Town. I can tell you if they "cut back" anymore, they might as well rename the place "Brokedown Town". The gambling was tighter than I've ever seen it and everyone I asked pretty much said the same thing: "Nothing is paying anything here". Even a couple of the employees, very quietly, were warning people "if you win anything from a slot, cash out fast and run". That really said something to me. The folks that work there see it every day. They know how the machines are set. We won nothing at Sam's Town off the slots and Blackjack was marginal at best. Thankfully, we were able to recoup some of our losses at the other casino's. The attitude of the employees at Sam's Town was poor to downright dismissive from the front desk to the Croupier at the Craps table to the Blackjack dealers. The cocktail waitresses were crabby when you were lucky enough to come across one. The alcohol content in the drinks has suffered from the cutbacks as well. So much so that we questioned calling them "alcoholic beverages" at all. We won't be staying at Sam's Town again. The other casinos are much cleaner, much friendlier, much looser, and offer much better service given by employees with much better attitudes. Sam's Town will be glad to take alot of your money in exchange for a little service and as little quality as possible. It's really too bad. The location is great as it's the only casino in town within walking distance to another one. Unfortunately, the location is all Sam's Town has going for it now.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Marshall, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

It was so hot in the Casino, it was hard to breathe. The room was even hotter! I turned the heat off and the air on in the room, and after 2 hours it was finally breathable air. I had to wait to go to sleep because of the room temp.
I don't understand keeping the casino like an oven. Yes it was cold outside, but it was way too hot in the Casino. Perfrect breeding ground for bacteria!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Bogata, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night in November 2010. We had a GREAT trip-- our room was spacious, very clean, and had a nice view of the Red River and the Louisiana Boardwalk (just across the river). We had to wait about 5-10 minutes to check-in, but it all went smoothly and quickly when we did check-in. I thought the price for this hotel ($99) was FANTASTIC compared to other casino hotels in the area. The one complaint I had was that the in-room internet (wi-fi) was not free.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport? Share your experiences!