“Nice establishment & large rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Eldorado Resort Casino
451 Clyde Fant Parkway, Shreveport, LA 71101 (Formerly Hollywood Casino)   |
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Shreveport
Beaverton, Oregon
“Nice establishment & large rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was pretty impressed with the whole Eldorado property, especially as compared to a neighboring hotel-casino. There is a welcome polish to the property that made me feel like we had made a good choice staying here nearly as soon as we were in the lobby. The size of the room was surprising, especially the bathroom, with its large tub and separate shower. Bed was comfy and decor was inviting. Only issues were a non-working bathroom fan and the fact that just a single soap was provided. Perhaps we were supposed to chisel the soap into three pieces, one each for the sink, shower and bathtub. There were no instructions to that effect, however.

The food at the casual restaurant on the first floor was serviceable, if unmemorable. The casino has a great filtration system - as compared to that aforementioned neighboring property, I didn't feel like I needed to throw all of my clothes away after spending a few hours in it. It's a bit of a pain to go level to level, as each floor has an ID checkpoint. The tradeoff is a larger footprint for the casino, being that you are, after all, on a boat, though you'd never know that if you weren't told before. In fact, when I was told about gambling "on the boats", I had this romanticized preconceived notion that the boat was actually part of the attraction, that there would be a certain appeal to being on a boat...docked in the river...and that this would be perceptible. Instead, this potential asset is completely cloaked, and the connection to the river is lost. But I digress - I guess most people will probably say I've missed the main point of going to a casino in the first place. All in all, this is an attractive, appealing place to stay if you find yourself in S'port.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

These are truly some nice rooms - large, great bed & nice desk area. They also have free WIFI which is a plus. Large, new TV with lots of channels. Bathroom was excellent - separate shower from the tub. Large vanity area & there are even drawers in the vanity area. The room was very clean. Can't remember what the # of our room was but I think 409. Didn't have a great view, but that was OK.

The casino is nice & large & has escalators to get to each of the different floors (much better than waiting for an elevator if you don't have to). They have lots of slots (not that we won on any of them).

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The rooms are great, but save your money on the "newly remodeled" buffet, and go to Golden Coral. The food is better and cheaper. The buffet underwent a major renovation, unfortunately the money that was spent on the remodel is being made up for in their horrible food. The mystery meat is cold and tough. The brisket dry, the salad bar dirty and the Mexican dishes are tasteless. Buffets are most known for their dessert choices, well you can forget about that. There is a very small dessert case. Believe it or not, you are not even allowed to get your own dessert anymore, you have to get a worker to get your dessert. It is obvious that Eldorado is cutting corners. I have a problem with dropping a couple of thousand dollars in a night and not even able to get a cookie. Oh I forgot to tell, you they don't put out cookies anymore for dessert, you have to go to the cafe and buy them. I played and stayed at the Horseshoe for years until they sold and then I started going to Eldorado. I've been playing and staying there for 4 years, but with all the cutting corners, I think I am going to give Horseshoe another chance, at least until the new casino, Margaritaville, opens.

Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I live in Shreveport and have searched for luxurious hotels for "stay-cations" in the past with little luck.
The only draw back to the Monarch Suites at the Eldorado casino, is that they seem to only be available for booking during weekdays. I assume these rooms are "saved" for potential high-rollers from the casino during prime time and that is why they are unavailable outside of Sunday- Wednesday nights.
I remembered this when I decided to get a room for a mini impromtu bachelorette party. The set up was perfect for multiple women getting ready. Almost like having three bathrooms, but technically only one and half.
The Monarch Suite is amazing for this town. I have stayed at other casino suites locally and have been less than impressed. Even Horseshoe (which most claim is the "classiest") was dirty and worn.
The Monarch Suite-

Double Doors between living area and bedroom open wide to allow for a continuos feel from one room to the next, or close off for privacy.
Nice sized 'bar area' with mini fridge (empty), sink, and I believe there was glassware, as well.
Small table with chairs (4?)
You could have overnight guests in the living area with the fold out. I'm sure it's not comfortable, but if someone really needs a place to crash after the party....
Separate powder room in living area
Living area large enough to have small party. Not sure what fire code is, but I would have been comfortable with 20 people in just the living area...more if you didn't mind overflow into the bedroom.
Bathroom is pretty cool....
Large walk in shower
Two large facing vanities (toilet rooms, as well) seperated by a huge mirror disc that rotates. It's just kinda fun. :)
Again, large doors for an open feel to the bedroom or to close for privacy.
Lots of lighting choices with dimmers.
TV in both rooms, but I can't speak for picture quality or channels, as we didn't use them. I only metion because the TV at Horseshoe was ridiculously horrible...really laughable. Too bad I had hoped to watch the new Sherlock on that stay-cation.
It's just a great room as long as you are okay with the mid week getaway. And the club downstairs has always had a great cover band or up and coming band when I have been there.

Room Tip: Monarch Suite is the only room I have stayed in.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Buda, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here this past Sunday / Monday as a result of a poorly timed bachelor party by my son on Super Bowl weekend. I'm the best man as well, hence a true experience at the way 20 somethings do bachelor parties these days.
I'm normally a Horseshoe person because they send out really nice room discounts once you're in the system, but the 'shoe was sold out due to either a concert or the Super Bowl or both so we wound up here.
Overall, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the El Dorado at all. The rooms are top notch and the walls HAVE to be thicker than the Horseshoe's rooms. I was next door to a room of inebriated, male 20 somethings and the sounds coming through the walls were nowhere near as bad as the Horseshoe's.
I was the only non smoker in the bunch so being in the minority and not having smoke bother me as much as others, I ordered two smoking rooms next to each other which we got. I had to call down and make sure they were smoking rooms when I walked in because I personally couldn't tell. It was that clean. I saw the ash tray on the table but still needed some confirmation before everyone lit up.
Upon our arrival, I found two bottled waters in the frig which had already been opened. I called down to housekeeping to let them know I didn't want to be charged for them. I assumed they'd been placed there to sell. Someone was at our door within five minutes to take them away.
The bathroom was spacious. The tub was deep. The only very minor problem in here was a loose shower knob and that's no big deal to me.
The worst part of the El Dorado seems to me to be the buffet but that rings true with every buffet I've ever eaten at in Louisiana. All buffet food seems to come from one central location. The selection is always the same and it always tastes the same. I'd actually put it a notch below Golden Corral if you've ever been to one of those.
The Sportsman's Paradise offered a nice change of pace. I thought that was actually a better deal than the buffet.
The casino struck me as being a duplicate of the Horseshoe. I'm a low rent gambler so I look for the $5.00 BJ tables. No $5.00 BJ on Sunday. One table on Monday. Tight video poker and what few slots I played were tight.
I know the strategy of "play where you stay" but if I'm in the mood for loose video poker and / or slot machines, I'm going to Boomtown. If I can win early on $10.00 BJ at the 'shoe or now the El Dorado, I'll play where I stay, but the action with video poker and slots seems to be at Boomtown's low rent casino, in my humble opinion. Its a much, much rattier casino, but you can play for quite a while on a video poker machine at Boomtown. No offense to Boomtown, but it is what it is, or as my grandpa used to say, "You can't polish a turd".
With all that being said, I'll sit back and see what mailers I get from the El Dorado. I hope I get something like a discounted room, because the El Dorado is truly a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Norman, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Casino is nice, but the slots are extremely tight. You get NO play for your money here. They do have a few of the Konami Machines that everyone loves, but they are so tight you just cannot enjoy playing here. If you take a $100 bill and play 60cents a spin, you will done and ready to leave in less than an hour…these are the tightest machines I have played in a very long time.

Room Tip: Don't Play Slots here, try the table games and take your slots dollars somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Prairie, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Room, TV (including free HBO and WiFi) were high quality and well maintained. Bedding is overstuffed pillow-top, very comfortable. The only thing missing was a TV channel list, which the Front Desk promised but did not deliver, once I'd phoned to request one. Separate shower is nice, large rainforest shower head.

Early check-in is often possible, just get to the Front Desk by noon and ask.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for Non-Smoking, higher room, quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Eldorado Resort Casino? Share your experiences!