“Much nicer than expected” 5 of 5 stars

You added Eldorado Resort Casino to your Saves list
451 Clyde Fant Parkway, Shreveport, LA 71101 (Formerly Hollywood Casino)   |
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Shreveport
Hallsville
“Much nicer than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I played at the casino one night and received a coupon for 2 free nights stay in the hotel. Went back with a friend and thoroughly the experience. The hotel room was very nice...easily 3-5 ratings given to other hotels. The beds were comfortable, room was large, bathroom had separate tub and shower and was huge. The food at the buffet and at the one restaurant we tried was great.
The casino staff was friendly and smoke wasn't too much of a problem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
MeganFinn, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Resort Casino, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Hi John,

Thank you for posting a review of the Eldorado Resort Casino on TripAdvisor! What our guests think of us means a lot to us, so we were very excited to hear you had a great stay with us! Thank you for the kind words about our property. We are so pleased to have had you as a guest at the Eldorado and hope to have you back with us soon!

Shreveport, LA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Shreveport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Although the bed was comfortable, it was difficult to get in and out. It would have been nice to have a stool in the room with a bed that high. Also the bathtub was not easily accessible for anyone under average height. Not equipped with hand rails only towel bars. Nice feature is the separate shower which I could use. The arm chairs in the rooms are very narrow, my husband had to use the desk chair only. I was surprised that with the 4 diamond rating that the rooms upkeep was not topnotch. The wallpaper was peeling at every seam especially in the bathroom. Be careful of the floor lamp, it is top heavy and easily falls over - a safety hazard if you have little ones in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wichita Falls, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I don't know how my wife did this, but we booked some sort of junior level suite here and got upgraded because that room type wasn't available. This put us on the 14th floor in what they call a Santa Monica Suite and keep in mind we paid $106 for this room for one Sunday night and the card on the back of the door says the maximum rate for the room is $3000. That's not a typo, three THOUSAND not three hundred. So we really enjoyed the space. King size bed, very comfy, massive bathroom with a large shower, garden tub, toilet, sink, and even a little area to do makeup. Two large dressers in the room, a queen size sofabed, and a recliner. I would have gladly paid $500 or more for a view like that and that much real estate. My only disappointment was that the internet was slow that high up. Gaming was fun, I nailed a $600 win on a Hee-Haw machine and my wife got up over a grand playing two Sex And The City machines at once. I kept my winnings safe, she played hers out as she got tired. Either way, we both had a LOT of fun here and will absolutely stay again even in a room half that size.

Room Tip: Sweet suites. If you've never tried them before (and we hadn't), this is probably a great p...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My parents are frequent guests here; they just love it. Unfortunately, my husband and I had the exact opposite reaction. If you can get through my novel-length review, you may want to consider another Shreveport/Bossier hotel as I have a hard time believing our misadventure was an isolated experience.

Our final stop on a 3000 mile cross country trip, we were dog tired. Our first issue occurred when the unloading area outside the lobby was VERY crowded w/ cars and so we were completely clueless over the parking situation/if valet was offered. No one was around to ask but we were shocked how teeny the drive thru area was vs the size of the hotel; the only sign for hotel parking pointed us to a garage further away than our tired bones were willing to schlep w/ luggage. So I left DH idling outside in the car and popped inside to check-in and sort out the parking.

The minute I left the muggy Louisiana air, I was knocked over by the strongest, most unpleasant fragrance. Not from a overly perfumed old lady but from the hotel itself. I can only guess that to counter the smoking that's allowed only feet away in the casino, they compensate by pumping Drakkar Noir-esque scent into the common areas. Urgh. Surely non-smokers can't prefer this scent to stale smoke?!

The front desk had no line whatsoever (so can't explain the amount of cars outside) but no one looked up or, and call me old fashioned, smiled. A smile will cover a multitude of sins in my book. When I was finally helped, I requested parking info and was tersely told just to follow the signs and carry my luggage from the garage across the street, thru a breezeway, into an elevator. I volunteered I was a first time guest so was a bit confused to the layout...but offering me a luggage cart so I could just spirit my items right upstairs was obviously not how they wanted to do it. Too easy I guess.

To make matters worse, even though I had been told upon my making my reservation  that the required $100 deposit could be given in cash, the clerk swiped my card for both the room authorization and the deposit. When I questioned why she proceeded w/o giving me the cash option, she wanly apologized but feigned ignorance. Some folks, like me, don't want to wait days for an additional authorization to drop off. So this was a big CS no-no and her attitude made it even worse.

Once parking and luggage issues were sorted (it took forever) we were greeted by a spacious room w/ a river view. Not bad. But we're were really surprised to find the room covered in dust. Oh, this room had definitely been cleaned days before, but had obviously sat vacant long enough that the lamps, table, remote, etc., all we're covered in dust. Kinda weird since I know this property frequently sells out/has high turnover. We don't have allergies but between the chemical fragrance smell in the lobby and all the room dust, it was a miracle we didn't have sneezing fits. Even the bathroom towels looked/smelled as if they'd been hanging there for weeks. Gross!

Our dinner experience was equally frustrating. Our waiter completely forgot to put in our order. There were literally only 2 other customers in the restaurant so it was difficult to justify a 40 minute wait just for some $9 eggs! Again, a wan apology was offered but nothing else. The restaurant staff were chatting away the entire time, looking bored --a very distracting environment. Overpriced, mediocre food was doing nothing to reverse our ever-dwindling impression of the Eldorado.

On the casino floor I found someone's Player's Card but the employee I tracked down seemed put out that I turned it in. I only bring up this minor incident to reflect the utterly indifferent, unprofessional, and occasionally outright rude attitude from absolutely every single Eldorado employee we encountered during our brief stay.

Ultimately we just wanted to shower and hit the sack. The shower looked really pretty and fairly fancy, but alas it didn't function properly tho at least I was clean. But when the toilet wouldn't stop running, and was mind-numbingly loud while constantly churning water and dripping, this is the point I really had to laugh. Our luck couldn't be this bad! Hubby repaired the toilet himself (pocket knife and MacGuyver episodes) and we drifted off. There was a loud party upstairs but this is a casino so peace isn't expected. Paper thin walls however...

....we awoke to an animated housekeeping 'conference' directly outside our door at 9AM. Apparently they have a lot to talk about. And loudly. A Do Not Disturb sign is merely a suggestion, right? I can't believe the housekeeping manager allows staff to have their own parties right in the hall. I've stayed at total dumps that have more respect for their guests. Really surprising. I expected a noise level from my neighbors, not the employees!

Check out was swift. It couldn't come fast enough. (One last waft of hotel 'perfume' and we were mercifully outta there). My parents will probably revisit and report a merry good time. But we were patently miserable during our 17 hr stay and not a single aspect of this casino hotel provided a redemptive moment. We didn't lodge a sole complaint; confrontation isn't our style and frankly we were too weary to escalate the matters, but I feel foolish, as a savvy consumer, that I didn't pursue management and inquire why in the world they're running a business so poorly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
MeganFinn, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Resort Casino, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Hi Ella,

Thank you for posting a review of the Eldorado Resort Casino on TripAdvisor! We really appreciate our guests' feedback and desire to improve based on what our guests need from us. That being said, we were very disappointed to hear you and your husbands stay with us was not enjoyable for you. We are concerned to hear that you did not get great service from us because our highest priority is our guests and so our goal is to treat them in a way that meets and exceeds expectations; however, we did not meet that goal with you and for that we are very sorry. We also try and maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and comfort in our hotel rooms, so for that again we apologize that your room did not meet those standards during your stay. We are discouraged that you left the Eldorado Resort Casino with a negative impression, and we truly hope to get another chance to improve your impression of us!

Galveston co., TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting and staying at this property since it was Hollywood. We always thought it was the best casino/hotel in the Shreveport-Bossier area. Since the Ferrari-Carano family bought it seven years ago, we have visited up to six times a year. It is a farther drive from a casino in our area, but we feel it is worth the extra miles. The overall experience is what we expect, and the Ferrari-Carano family have continued to improve the property in many ways. The hotel rooms and the former gourmet room, Fairbanks, have been redecorated. The food is delicious and the service superb. Also, consider trying the buffet, the Paradise Cafe, and Deli. The gift shop and SPA are my favorite. The exercise room is now accessable to all hotels guests on a 24 hour basis. The machines are in good working condition, and the room clean.
The earlier reviewers who were less than satisfied may not have visited recently.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
MeganFinn, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Resort Casino, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Hi Danny,

Thank you for posting a review for Eldorado Resort Casino Shreveport on TripAdvisor! We are so happy to hear you had a great time with us, and appreciate your kind words about our property! We hope to have you back as our guest again soon!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Rooms are very clean and nice, with the highlight being the bathroom. It not only has a shower behind glass doors with tile, but a bathtub as well. Beds are comfortable and the room is equipped with a flat screen tv. The hotel also has free wifi, a little slow, but it's free! There's a great restaurant within walking distance, called the "Blind Tiger" that I would highly recommend. There's not much to do in Shreveport, so this is a nice place to stay with entertainment and food at the tips of your fingers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

On our way from Fort Worth to New Orleans, my husband and I decided to spend a few days in Shreveport just to see what was there. We chose to stay at the Eldorado because of its central location. It's in the middle of downtown at the edge of the river. There's another casino/hotel next door, but not much else in the area. Many restaurants in the downtown area have closed in the past few years and we couldn't find anything else of interest to do within walking distance. (There are quite a few night spots, but that's not something we're interested in.) The Louisiana Boardwalk shops and restaurants are on the other side of the river in Bossier City, which requires a driver over one of the bridges.

We both thought the hotel was very nice. Our room overlooking the river was quiet and larger than expected, especially the bathroom, which had both a glass-enclosed shower stall and a separate deep soaking tub, plus an extra-wide vanity countertop. The beds were comfortable and I was able to get hypoallergenic foam pillows. There was an in-room safe, refrigerator, iron, hair dryer, cable TV, and free (low-speed) wifi. The room also comes with access to a workout room that contains quite a bit of equipment, though we ended up not using it.

There are three dining options in the hotel: a 24-hour cafe, a buffet, and a fine dining steakhouse. We ate at the cafe twice and thought the food was generally good. Be warned, though, that if you have food intolerances, they're not particularly careful about attending to your requests. I ended up having a reaction to one of my meals due, probably, to butter. Also, stay away from the grilled pork chops. They were very overcooked, dry, and tough.

The 3-story casino is attached to the hotel, though technically it's on a riverboat because that's the only place gambling is allowed. There were all the usual gaming tables and slot machines. The ventilation was decent, though I found the odor of cigarettes strong enough that I wasn't interested in spending any time in there.

On the whole, we enjoyed our stay and, if we ever have any reason to go back to Shreveport, would stay at the Eldorado again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Eldorado Resort Casino? Share your experiences!