“A bit of a let down” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Saint Rose
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“A bit of a let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We chose the Comfort Inn because it is very close to the airport. They provide a free shuttle and allow you to leave your car at the hotel at no extra charge. I could tell that they recently refreshed the room's decor and they provide a free breakfast. The staff were friendly.
Our disappointment was the lack of cleanliness. The bathroom and bedding were unacceptably dirty. Considering this and how much we paid for a night's stay, we will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Middle Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed one night at the Comfort Inn before a cruise. We flew into the airport and they provided a free transport to the hotel. We booked the transfer to the cruise port for $30 for both of us. The hotel was clean, rooms were nicely appointed and the bed was comfortable. I recommend this hotel for this purpose.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have many friends in the area, but decided on a hotel near the airport for an uninterrupted night of sleep and ease of access to the airport. I arrived, checked in, all was fine. The room was clean, the bed comfortable. It's a little bit away from the beaten path, so I thought it would be quiet. And since I was expecting a 4:30 wake up call for a 5:55 flight I just wanted to sleep. Then after being asleep for 2 hours, I awoke to someone trying to get into the room. It took me a while to wake up and the person at the door continued to try to get in, despite the fact that the security latch was closed and there was OBVIOUSLY someone in there asleep. But finally, after dragging myself to the door, and finding it ajar, I asked who it was. "The Front Desk," was the answer. There was a man and a woman at my door. I should have called the front desk or the police, this is how room invasions happen. They told me that the front desk was not supposed to check me into this room because there was a leak in the closet. Um, ok, why is that my problem? It doesn't bother me, I'm asleep and you are waking me up to tell me some internal management issue the hotel has. After that I was so upset I couldn't fall back asleep for an hour. I just couldn't believe that he had continued to knock and try to get in the door after it was obvious that someone was in there...then after all of that he insisted on telling me all his management problems. It was very distasteful and unprofessional. Apparently the guy was the manager's brother, so I learned. I guess that makes it ok to ruin my sleep, even though that is what I paid for?? It was a terrible experience, only because of that. Otherwise, it would have been just what I paid for, a clean room near the airport. The other people at check in and check out and the shuttle bus driver were all wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here the night before we flew out of the New Orleans Airport. This was our second time to stay here and it is becoming our favorite place to stay. They have the park & fly option and a free breakfast. The rooms are decent and clean. To me, it is not a vacation destination hotel but is a good place to stay for one or two nights and great for the price!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Blackburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Lovely rooms and there the complements end.

Started off in room 322, that was known to be noisy, so why do they put people in it? Moved after complaining. Road noise at the front, train track at the back. Basic breakfast. Toilet ran and leaked; cleaner had reported it but nothing done. Ran out of white bread; two days later still no white bread. Free newspapers had run out by 07:30 on 2 days, a cynic might think they only buy 1..

But the wifi has to be the worse. Takes hours to log on and that's if you're lucky; kicks you off at random; even when on, it runs at the speed of a knackered donkey.

Complained 3 days on the trot but no improvement in wifi.

Given all the usual platitudes / fob offs. Our Internets working ok; no one else has complained; it's because people are using it; we've got the fastest line AT&T can provide; ah it's an iPad, that's why; ah it's an Apple Mac, that's why.

Pathetic response. When will hotels appreciate that if they offer a service they should deliver it. Can you imagine applying the above response to electricity. Ah well too many people have turned their lights on; ah well you're using Philips lightbulbs; our lights on in reception; we've got 13amps from the grid etc....

To be fair I demanded a discount on the bill and they paid up. But I'd rather have reliable high speed internet as offered.

Really like Choice Hotels in general but this has the accolade of the 2nd worst we've stayed at in 20 years.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If you must stay there avoid room 322 and I suspect 222 and 122 will also be no...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel itself was very good. Only open three years and was very well maintained. Comfy bed and very clean. Reasonable rates. Free airport shuttle. Located in an industrial park area and the only food options were Wendy's and VooDoo BBQ across a busy four-lane highway. I had eaten at another VooDoo BBQ location which was great. This one was not. Overdone pulled pork and stale, dry roll. Still, I'd stay there again if I needed a place by the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thornton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel is fairly new and near the airport. Convenient if you have an early flight when you live more than 60 miles away. The lady at the front desk was friendly upon arrival. She made it very clear of their pet policy--several times. We were assigned a room close to the front, behind the front desk. Once we settled in, we noticed that one of the comforters had what looked like oil stains which matched the odor, an oil or diesel fragrance in the entire room. It was late so we sort of overlooked the two negatives and settled in for a good night's rest. The beds were so-so. Around 2AM the guests next door began slamming their door constantly throughout the morning. The guy kept going inside and out. There was also loud laughter and talking of a male and female. Yes, profanity as well. Needless to say, we felt that we were in an unsafe environment. Surely the attendant on duty heard the noise since we were only two rooms from the front. We were very happy to leave and get away from that place. Was this a flop-house? Never again.

Room Tip: Try rooms away from the front. They might be better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn New Orleans Airport? Share your experiences!