“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast

You added Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   220 Evangeline Boulevard, Saint Martinville, LA 70582 (Formerly La Place d'Evangeline)   |
Grundy Center, Iowa
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I have never stayed in a B&B before and this was everything I expected. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was great. I really enjoyed the history and spirited story of the Old Castillo. Thank you

• Stayed November 2012
PetitParis, Owner at Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Hi

Thank you so much for your great comments. It's always good to hear when our guests say this is their first experience and that it won't be the last. Can't get better than that.

Have a great day and a successful new year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reading UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

If your idea of what a B&B should be is of elaborate decoration, lots of chintz, rooms crammed full of highly polished antique furniture, and three course breakfasts, you probably won't like Old Castillo. If on the other hand you would like to stay in a genuinely historic building with simple but appropriate furnishings in the rooms, a warm welcome, an informal atmosphere, and a delicious home cooked breakfast, this is an excellent choice.

We stayed for three enjoyable nights at Old Castillo, which is ideally situated in the middle of the historic district of St Martinville, next to the Evangeline Oak, the Bayou Teche and the Acadian Memorial Museum. Old Castillo was originally an Inn serving travellers on the Bayou Teche, when it was the main artery for goods and passengers through the area. Later it became a school, before reverting to its original purpose on becoming a B&B.

Our room, Gabriel, was large and comfortable but not fancy, with direct access to the upstairs balcony. Downstairs the parlour/breakfast room was equipped with comfortable chairs and sofas, a TV and interesting books relevant to the area. There was a much appreciated snack bowl, and wine and soft drinks in the guest fridge in the kitchen. Peggy provides breakfast at a time of your choice between 8 and 10, and this was delicious and all home made, although again not fancy. There is free wifi throughout the house, very important to us. There is a relaxed, informal atmosphere and the other guests were friendly and interesting to talk to.

St Martinville itself is a lovely quiet small town with some beautiful buildings and a very interesting history. Don't miss the Acadian Memorial Museum with its explanation of the arrival of the french speaking Acadians, or the fabulous crab cakes at the St Johns restaurant round the corner.

Recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi

Thank you for you nice comments. Happy you enjoyed yourself and hope to see you again. Like your comment on the many things to see and do and that you stayed three days to allow more visiting. We promote ourselves as a hub as you can travel 15 minutes in any direction from us to see and visit more.

Our breakfast is almost always enjoyed and you do not leave hungry. Ha.

Thank you again.
Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife & I spent one night last week at the Old Castillo B&B and loved it. We had traveled to Louisiana from Houston for a funeral so we decided to travel a bit farther the next night to St. Martinville. We loved the Old Castillo & the innkeeper, Peggy! When we travel, we prefer to stay in a B&B if possible. If the Old Castillo is your first B&B stay, you may not appreciate it's age & charm as much as we did. The rooms are nice, the bed is good, the private bathroom was more than adequate, and the dining room & common sitting area were nice. The wireless internet worked flawlessly, which is always a biggie for me. The Inn is right next to Bayou Teche & the Evangeline Oak, literally just steps from two small but wonderful museums & a few steps farther from the awesome and unique Acadian Memorial. The balcony overlooks everything mentioned in the previous sentence & is awesome. Breakfast was fantastic. We've been to Louisiana a fair amount & are used to beignets, pain perdu, & cafe au lait, but not Peggy's versions! The food was wonderful! Saint Martinville is a wonderful little town full of charm & character; since around 1829, the Castillo Inn has been part of the character of the town. Dining choices are a bit limited in town but we drove about 20 minutes to a truly awesome Cajun Seafood restaurants. Ours was a short visit & the Old Castillo Inn made us wish we had had time for a longer stay.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend a room on the bayou side. If stairs are a problem, you might prefer a downstai...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
First, let me say, I am so sorry for taking so long to respond. I read when you submitted, but personal and business matters took over my time.

Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We too enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had a lovely stay thanks to the warm hospitality of Peggy, the Innkeeper. Our room was spotless and very comfortable. We had a great night sleep and an amazing breakfast with homemade breads, jams, and farm raised fresh eggs. YUM!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PetitParis, Owner at Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Your nice review is appreciated. Come see us again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights in this nice B&B.
The host is welcoming and the room are large, comfortable and clean.
The breakfast is also very good.
Please note that there are no TVs in the room, which is quite unusuak in the US !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
PetitParis, Owner at Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Hi

Thank you for your kind review. We also enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again sometime.
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Came in March 2012 for a quick trip to cajun country and booked this B&B because of the reviews. It wasn't terrible, but certainly not great either, and fairly expensive for what you get. The room and property were clean and neatly kept, but there weren't very many cool decorations or antiques--mostly just older knick knacks. We visited in mid March, but there were still cheap Valentine's Day decorations everywhere. The property in general seems like it could use some renovations, especially the bathroom, which was clean but very dated (hello late 1980s...) There is, or was at the time, a large ant hill near the walk way to the property, which I stepped in--beware.

The breakfast was fine--very bread product heavy, but not bad. However, living in New Orleans and eating out a lot, this is not the best breakfast that Louisiana has to offer--don't be fooled :)

The main drawback to the property, aside from the dated qualities, was the host's attitude and rules. We had trouble finding the place due to a recent name change of the road, but instead of just telling us what the name of the road used to be (ie. what it still was on the maps) Peggy insisted on telling us how we were in the wrong location, repeatedly. When we finally arrived, she continued to tell us how silly and wrong we were. This was not only annoying, but rude. She then handed us a long list of house rules and made us practice locking and unlocking the front door.

On the plus side, Peggy did recommend an AMAZING swamp tour that was, by far, the highlight of our trip. Maybe we just caught her on a bad day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your visit with us. I do apologize if I was rude about directions. I do not remember anything like that, so hard for me to comment, but, to say I am truely sorry.

I take it very seriously to always be as helpful, kind and inviting as I can. I would like to accept the excuse that I was having a "bad day". But, again, I try hard not to let my personal problems be a reason for my actions.

Again, I am very sorry.

Again
Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon in Cajun Country. The property is beautifully historic and blissfully quiet and peaceful. We chose this b&b because of the proximity to the Evangeline Oak and monument, and we were not disappointed. This town is peaceful and serene, so if you want activities, it is best to plan them in nearby areas like Avery Island and Lafayette.

We stayed in the Chambre de Gabriel, which was cozy, romantic, and spacious. My favorite part of this b&b is definitely the breakfast, which included 2 beignets, bacon, homemade preserves, eggs, french toast, cafe au lait, and orange juice. DELICIOUS! I will come back again. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Hi

Thank you for your nice review. We are happy we were able to add a positive touch to your visit in St. Martinville. You were great guests and hope to see you again. Have many great tomorrows.

Been to Old Castillo Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!