“Break from city life” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shahapur
Hidden Village
You added Hidden Village to your Saves list
Sakhroli Village, Atgaon, Shahapur 421301, India   |
“Break from city life”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Close to Mumbai yet feels far from the madding crowds. Hidden Village so one can be guided by the helpful directions on the website and the details given by sms. Plot of uneven land developed into lush greenery..(not manicured lawns). There is a stream flowing through, man made waterfall with a small pond wherein the presence of fishes gives you a complimentary pedicure..there are only few rooms named Tribal house, Forest house, etc which seeks to give you a feel of village house but with some of the modern amenities provided for,,,.Not too many people around and far from traffic so one can relax with only natures sounds. The food was basic but tasty and served without any fanfare at a common dining area...morning tea and evening tea served in the room,,.at night you can hear the pitter patter on the roof made by rats / monkeys and morning the birds chirping is soothing...There is also a temple a 5 minute drive away which is very nice place to see in the evening. Some distance further along is the dam which it is given to understand not open to the public...for children on the property there are few games and a swimming pool..overall a nice break from citylife and good experience..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The place is pretty good. It is in the midst of nature. The room was clean and had all the basic amenities and they all worked well. Food was especially good as it was very basic and very tasty. The staff is also very courteous and helpful. We stayed in their best room - Forest House.

Some minor improvements:
There are some small improvements that I would suggest them to make and also bring to the notice of my fellow travelers. There are absolutely no signboards. So if you are driving be careful not to miss it like we did. The tub in the room leaks so be careful not to fall. The shower does not give hot water for long. I had to apply soap while the shower was off and then turn it on to get warm water. It is also a little odd that the fridge is in the toilet. I would suggest that it be moved just under the table near the TV. I think that would be better and also convenient.

Suggested todo:
I suggest the pedicure from fishes in the pond; it is quite a tinkling sensation. Go on a 15-30 minutes walk to the lake; ask the staff to help you with the road to take.

Room Tip: Forest House is very well located next to the stream
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed at Hidden Village, Atgaon. District: Thane. Maharashtra for two nights- November 28 & 29, 2013. We three- Husband, wife n 3yr old daughter, stayed at Forest House (Room No:8)

What is Hidden Village?
It is a small man-made Village like property that gives the 'feel' of village to visitors.
There is greenery, natural water bodies
Animals from goats to ducks to turkey to fish in pond
A man-made artificial pond. (not a swimming pool)
Air conditioned & otherwise room stay with modern amenities
Good maharashtrian food
Basic play area for kids & couple of carrom boards, TT n pool table,etc

What it does not offer?
There is no discotheque or other such urban entertainment facilities.
No swimming pool
No spa, clubhouse etc.
No english speaking staff or chinkies at reception
No shop in vicinity

One day prior to our visit to Hidden Village (HV), we got an sms from HV providing contact details of a three wheeler rickshaw driver & four wheeler driver. We thought it was unnecessary, but when we got down at Atgaon railway station we realised the importance of that sms. There was 'NO' autorickshaw outside the railway station. When we called on the provided number, 'Sudam' (driver of an auto) agreed to pick us from station in next 10 mins& he arrived bang on... we reached HV & he charged us Rs.100 for that 10 min travel. (A bit on the higher side)
As we reached we were greeted by Mr. Tony who owns the beautiful property. In no time we were guided to our room - Forest House – (costing 4600 per night including meals)

Forest House: has a double bed, air conditioner, water fridge, LCD tv with Reliance Big TV- HD connection. It has an attached toilet, twin bath tub, and a shower area. It has a private sit out that looks over a beautiful man- made stream. One can see ducks in that stream. The room also has direct access to the swimming pond. The tub is provided with solar heated water connection that takes about 30-40 mins to fill up. The room was well maintained, neat and clean.

The swimming 'pond' is not a swimming pool. The water is mildly chlorinated, management claims that they chlorinate it once a week. Given dense forestry around the pond, despite green net covering the pond, there are some small leaves seen in the water. But yes we enjoyed swimming in the pond. ( Maximum depth 5.5 feet). Especially our daughter loved it a lot.

The room rates include lunch, evening tea/coffee n snacks, dinner & breakfast. The lunch served in the Kitchen Dining area was good. Had good vegetarian menu- unlimited buffet.. so eat as per one wants. They serve the evening tea/ coffee, with snacks in the room. We were served Kanda Poha on 1st evening n Kanda Bhaji on the next evening. The food is good but don't expect Chinese/ Mughlai/ Punjabi, etc.. its strictly Maharashtrian food.

The play area offers options like carrom, table tennis, pool table, football table, etc. There is a seperate play area for kids below 12 yrs, which offers slides, see saw, swing etc. The property is managed by the local young boys and no hotel management professionals.

For Whom:
People who want to enjoy village like atmosphere n unwind themselves.
Ideal for couples who want to spend quality time with each other. ( during our stay almost 90% of visitors were couples.

Who Should Not Go:
People married to urban living & keen on 'RESORT' experience, and landscaped gardens, etc.
People who are finicky about insects, dry leaves and such 'unclean' elements in nature.
Shopoholics, Alcoholics.

Overall we liked this place. Management has taken efforts to visualise n build this place. Locals are trained and employed in this property to take care of the guests. People like Santosh, Vishnu, Namdeo, Vitthal, Baban, may not have come out of some Hospitality College. But they surely made our stay a memorable experience for the right reasons. We intend to revisit this place...

Room Tip: Couples should opt for Venus or Cupid rooms. Forest and Exotic rooms are good options for families w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
tonyd_souza, Owner at Hidden Village, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you, When i read this review to those villagers, (translated in marathi, which is usually done whether complimentary or critical) the immense boost to their morale and enthusiasm will be invaluable.

At atgaon west there is no rickshaw stand, as villages on that line are far of from each other. Only long distance jeeps are there, but they are not happy to take passengers only two kilometer away. This rickshaw whose number we give either will come there from any where he is plying or he will arrange to send another rickshaw either way we have strictly ensured they don't charge more then hundred, As they also have to go back empty. There were times when the local rickshaws charged what ever they felt like, this limitation is imposed by us on them, even if he takes four or even five passengers.

Thank you once again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here with my wife on a friday. I found the resort well-maintained. I could see the owner Mr. D'souza ambling about overseeing installation some new solar panels( people have complained a lot about bad heating systems) and overall it gave me a feel of someones pet and passionate project, where things are taken seriously. Pity didn't get a chance to talk to him.

The room was well maintained, clean and as promised in photos. The staff was kind and polite. The resort is intentionally stripped of basic facilities like intercom (mobile numbers of helpers are provided if needed). People have cribbed about this but didn't find it a big deal.

We were forewarned about the bad heating system so even that didn't come as a surprise. Our bath tub took a full hour and half to fill up. However with the new solar heating, this could be a thing of the past.

There are things to do here as well - you could laze around your room, read a book in the sit-out provided. Take a walk in the resort. Go to a half an hour worth of walk to a nearby lake. Or take a 3 hour trek to some hill. There is a car ride to some dam too for the drive hungry. The play area is good too, we had some nice games of TT as well. Then there is the water-fall with the fishes and an indoor pool.

All this puts hidden village amongst the top eco-themed resorts in and around mumbai, as far as i can see. It is only the food which is bit of a let down. I found catering systems to be severely under developed. Tea and snacks served only at a fixed time.(when i was already full from the lunch) Fried fish in lunch was also long done prior and stone cold. Had a doubt some of it was not well cooked too but didn't bother. Chicken sukka at night was also not upto the mark. People have complained about this before, and the owner has replied saying it is not an area where they are focussing. Although this is a matter of perspective, all i can say is food does matter to typical visitors like me, who like the combination of natural surroundings as well as good food. I don't think these two are complementary that you can only have one of the two. And I am not really asking for chicken kolhapuri or pizzas or anything, just an improvement in the taste of what is already made and the catering system in general.

Don't get me wrong, the food is really quite eatable, and if the eco-themedness replete with greenery, turkeys, cackling ducks, sounds of birds, lazy frogs and pedicure fishes suits you, you wouldn't be disappointed here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
tonyd_souza, Owner at Hidden Village, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Couple of points, firstly thank you for your kind words, it’s an humbling experience to work on something then draw people’s attention to it and then continue to work on it, with the help of their feedback. As of today the exotic and forest houses are connected with solar heated water, and yes with this the heating issue hopefully should be a thing of past.

Regards food as of now it’s the villagers only doing it, but soon there will be an experienced cook from outside improving on food and variety. We are working on this.

The villagers in this village are mostly vegetarians and their menu is pretty limited. But one thing for sure is they will cook fresh and will not have the same warmed up in the evening, it must be again another batch of food cooked fresh as most don’t have fridges. This is how it has been allowed to happen here so far.

We will be adding Jawari and Bajri roti options soon. Very soon the veg and non-veg cooking section will also be separated as requested by some staunch vegetarians. So in the food department we have much happening on our hands very soon, yes some desert or ice cream will be added to the menu after dinner.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This review is an obituary to the anniversary plans i had made by booking the exotic house months in advance by reading the online reviews of the hidden village. My nightmare was booked for 8th & 9th november with checkout on the 10th.
Let me write about the good things first. The village concept is a nice idea and the waterfall makes it more realistic. The room was great from inside.
Now to some problems. Mobile network (airtel in my case) was completely dead. No intercom in room either. So, for every small need, u hv to walk all the way to the kitchen which is far off. Small problems like a snake in the waterfall pond where u r supposed to hv pedicure, army of small jumping frogs in front of ur door and a couple of frogs in ur bathtub or below ur bed are petty issues for the management. So if u don't like frogs, snakes or mosquitoes stay away.
The service is not lacking. It is simply absent. Apart from removing the frogs from my room on 2 seperate nights, the men here are completely useless or rather untrained and ofcourse crude (not rude, just too damn straight on ur face).The evening tea comes in a teapot, but in the morning,the teapots go on a strike. They wake u up with the tea in kulhads and before u brush, ur tea is cold. So if u wanna enjoy ur hot cuppa tea with the morning breeze in the serene nature, wake up at 7, finish up brushing and be at the door ready for the tea.
Cleaning of the room is done only on request, to be precise after 3 requests in my case. Unfortunately my bathroom floor got all wet due to dripping clothes. So i asked for a man with a wiping cloth. The man did come and handed over a dirty cloth to my wife. The hot water in the taps here is less hot than the normal water in my taps on a sunny afternoon. When a guy came in my room to adjust it, he failed and the final reply was "itna hi garam aayega".
The booklet in the room states clearly that food is only for satisfying hunger. So the management clearly excuses itself for the quality of the food. Some dishes were good, some outright bad, but the most consistent dish (in recurrence, not in taste) was the dal which was for all my 4 meals. Curry leaves is common ingredient in all dishes veg and nonveg.
If ur idea of breakfast is not chapati and potato bhaji (day1) or usal & bread (day 2), then u hv to suffice urself with bread-butter-jam. I will always remember 2 experiences about food. The first day for lunch, I saw fried fish. I thought i will have it with rice. When i went to take it, i was informed, the fish is over. So basically, no non-veg for me. The second day for lunch, there was fish again. But, as soon as i went to take it, the waiter actually covered it saying i was not allowed to have it. I was served mutton on table. I wen to ask again, but i was curtly told by the senior waiter that i am not allowed to have fish, since it was already served on day one. So basically, no fish for me on either day. No desert after dinner either, not even a rs.10 icecream cup. Sadly, thr is not a shop closeby.
Every resort or hotel, i had been to, always has a face. A manager or the owner whom u relate the place with. The person takes care of u and asks u if ur stay is good or bad. The biggest problem with Hidden Village is that it doesnt hv a face. Once u enter it, u r on ur own. I wish i could hv met the guy called Tony Dsouza who normally gives the blunt replies to all those reviews who dare to criticize the place. I know, he will answer me soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
tonyd_souza, Owner at Hidden Village, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Recently we saw the exit of the Master of Cricket, Sachin Tendulkar. Many a time fans have been disappointed when he has been out at Zero, but judging him on that Zero alone would be wrong. His cricketing career is judged on his performance over a period of 24 years. And that is what a universal verdict is based upon not on those times he scored a zero.

Incidentally I was out of state during this period, it was also the first time that we were almost 100% full from 30th October till 17th November and the staff (villagers) who never seen such number of people did an excellent job, handling such serious numbers. Although some incidents like this marred the score for the record. I am glad that along with this review was also another review, which was quite opposite, while advising to have variety in food and desert, that’s where we are gonna work on.

One thing I was told that this guest definitely had fish the first day, and his reason for accusation has altogether a different reason, which I was explained in detail. On a second day mutton is served to a guest for lunch and he was served. He insisted he also have fish, in spite of him being explained, the staff too unnecessarily adhered to the policy book and didn't give him fish, obvious annoyance which I can understand.

Although we work to improve in aspect of service and facility, the biggest and the most constantly worked upon attraction of our village (our USP) is nature, exteriors, the environment. This means, earth, trees, water, rocks to be left in their most natural form and with a presence of barnyard birds and animals create an ambiance that’s fast receding out of reach of the city dwellers or those who like to enjoy this type of exteriors once in a while.

Forest is where the snake, frog and mosquito are supposed to be. Fish pedicure is not by design it’s by default, so the nature food cycle was existent before we went about creating a retreat there. The snake here is the water snake, called ‘paanparat’ by the locals, it eats small fish and frogs, it is non-poisonous, and it is known never to bite humans, at least we have not had any incidences. Every day there are people taking bath in the waterfall rock pond.

It’s now a reality, no matter how we try to present our concept, there will be, once in a while some visitor who will come in, and expect 3 or 4 star treatment, for village price. On the diatribe disgorged by this reviewer, the preceding sentence pretty much sums up the expectation he expected. Our place is no good for a foodie nor is it a prim and posh resort either. Instead of reading what is outright information on the rustic, rawness of the village, he primed himself with responses written to reviews, which have their own relative context.

This is post monsoons and there are stagnant water pools in the surrounding forest, till they dry up there will be mosquitoes no matter how much fumigation we do. But they are active only late evenings, and once dark they are not much around, we however provide people with odomos, mortein and tortoise coils.

Regards hot water, I spoke last night with a couple who were on the two day stay with one day in forest and next night at exotic. They were quite amused by this review, they had also read other reviews, in fact they told me not to respond to these, and they were satisfied with the hot water which was very much there in both the houses. “Yes it takes a little patience and time to allow it to fill, but we never had any problem with that”.

However in this week we are connecting the forest and exotic houses bath tubs to the solar heated water line recently installed behind the tribal house, now in operation to the newest two houses Venus and Cupid.

Happiness or annoyance can also begin at the core of the being, they outside circumstances help only to amplify same. As it’s said our circumstances are in part a reflection of what we are at being. This review once again helps to highlight if you want a four star service in a jungle retreat, its plainly not going to be available any time soon. But who knows what service we give may be better, different and you may actually like it?
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We have visited this resort in Diwali vacations...truly an amazing experience with the nature along with the best luxury...their hospitality is remarkable.....the natural waterfall and fish therapy is really extraordinary.....even ducks and turkeys and their voice is sweet to hear and they walk in a row that was something to watch for.....All area is well maintained and rooms are clean and luxurious....We got the feeling like staying in Jungle and living in the Five Star Rooms....Kids also enjoyed a lot...Food is superb...All staff members are co-operative and very much attentive.....Some of the suggestions to Hidden Village: Kindly keep some different varieties in Dinner.....put some nice deserts....
Kindly keep big board outside the resort on the Road so people can easily get the place....otherwise it is really Hidden rather no board only....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
tonyd_souza, Owner at Hidden Village, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you Amit, for your kind words.

I would like to draw attention to the readers, this ‘lavish luxury’ praise relates to our newest two houses, named “Venus House” and “Cupid House”. All previous houses indicated on the website were constructed in a serial order, one by one over a period of last few years. So this feeling is highly relative to these houses, while “Exotic House” and “Forest House” come close second. Other houses are plain and simple.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very interesting and calm place. Right since morning, they would serve you and make you feel that you are at home and relaxing. The delighter for us was the ducks, cocks, and other animals celebrating joyously without any inhibitions that made us connect with nature instantly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hidden Village? Share your experiences!