“Excellent Bed and a woeful breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Butler Greenwood Plantation

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Francisville
Butler Greenwood Plantation
You added Butler Greenwood Plantation to your Saves list
Saint Francisville, LA 70775   |
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Excellent Bed and a woeful breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

So they advertise it as a bed and breakfast and their breakfast is worst than the Motel 6. I expected to have some local cusine or atleast a home cooked breakfast for the price they quote instead I got a refrigerated (and you have to heat it yourself) crossont and come Sam's club muffins
The Jaccozzi does not work
No hot water if you use the tub Oh yes they do not even have soap and shower gels so get your own or pray you find some!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed in the Dovecote this weekend and I have to say it was a perfect little weekend retreat. I chose it without actually seeing the place and I think if I would have seen the place first, it’s likely the one I would have chosen. It had a lot of charm. We brought our own food to cook and spent hours reading out on the deck listening to the birds and squirrels. Now I have to be honest, if you’re looking for 4 star surroundings, this will not be your place. The place could use a good spring cleaning and some general TLC but nothing was to the point of “OMG I can’t believe I paid for this.” As for the lady running the place, she was nice when I checked in and after tell me “Move in, make it your own and call if you need anything” that’s the last time I saw her which is exactly what I was looking for. The place was beautiful and I can see us making a return trip in the future.

Room Tip: The location and the Dovecote and the Treehouse seem to provide the greatest amout of privacy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Gulf Shores, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This place needs lots of attention and it needed it long before our visit. The photos on the website are old. Yes, it rained and yes the roof leaked in several places as you could tell from the already sagging ceiling and water marks. Normal rain I add, not a hurricane. We could only laugh when it got to 5 pots on the floor and not many left to cook with. Extrememly dissappointed. Ruined our visit.

Room Tip: Go to another plantation or even a hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Saint Francisville hotels

Jackson, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I just made reservations for the 4th year in a row! My husband and I have stayed at Butler Greenwood Planatation for our anniversary every year since we got married and it is something I look forward to every year. We have had nothing but lovely service and enjoy the freedom of being able to come and go, without having to check in with anyone (unless you want to or need something) until you leave. The Dovecote and Treehouse are our favorite cottages. Butler Greenwood is truly a relaxing getaway!

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is the title of Ann Butler's book that chronciles her brush with death at the hands of her husband who was the warden at Angola - Louisana's most infamous maximum security prison.

Talkin' to her, you would never know this. We stayed here on our "Lousiana plantation" driving tour in 2004. We stayed in Chase's Cottage. Most pleasant. (Visited again later and stayed in the Tree House.)

A wonderful respit. Don't cry if you don't like it. Kick back!!!

Room Tip: All cottages are special and have their own character. Stay away from the swimming pool rooms unles...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

we stayed 2 nights in chases cottage and thought it absolutely lovely.
The cottage has 2 large ensuite bedrooms (1 reached by external staircase only) omfortable lounge and kitchen area which had everything required. A nice addition was the washer/dryer-very useful.
The interior is pleasantly decorated and clean.
There are 2 outside seating areas. 1 overlooks the fields and the other looks out across the pond. Very relaxing.
The grounds are beautiful.
Minimal breakfast is provided-milk, juice, croissants etc in fridge. This is fine as it means you can eat when you want in the comfort and privacy of your cottage.
Mrs Butler is very congenial and helpful-she very graciously only charged us for 1 bedroom as there were 3 not 4 of us despite the fact we used both.
It is a peaceful and charming place and i would not hesitate to recommend or stay there again.
My only minor criticism is the downstairs shower-it seems more water comes out of the bath tap than the shower head. We just used the upstairs one instead.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bentonville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed two nights at this beautiful plantation. There was a main house and cottages on the grounds. We stayed in the Poolhouse Cottage where the pool for the property was located. The proprietor was an 8th generation decendant of the original owners and a very nice lady. She told us that they didn't have a lot of pool traffic and we were the only ones allowed to swim after 8. A couple of people were at the pool the 2nd day when we came back for a nap but they were quiet and had left by the time we went to dinner. It was so nice to be able to take a swim after dinner and breakfast the next day. The cottage had an upstairs room and bath but we slept in the bed downstairs. there were also several couches so you could sleep quite a few people if you needed to. Breakfast was a bit disappointing. There were some stale croissants, packaged muffins, OJ, milk, butter and jellies in the fridge and a jar of raisin bran and a banana on the table. I had brought some fruit salad along so ate that and half a croissant. Next time I will stop and pick up stuff for breakfast on the way in. That certainly wasn't enough to ruin the experience for us, we had a great time touring the plantations and the Magnolia Cafe has great food and reasonable prices. It was a great romantic getaway!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Butler Greenwood Plantation? Share your experiences!