“A great lunch in Frog City Louisiana” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Porter, Texas
“A great lunch in Frog City Louisiana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stopped for lunch today in the small town of Rayne Louisiana. As we exited I-10, a roadside sign proclaimed Rayne as the “Frog Capital of the World”.

The town’s unofficial nickname is actually “Frog City” and we therefore decided it would be fitting to have lunch at Chef Roy's Frog City Café.

There were indeed frog legs on the menu, but we decided to skip the amphibians and stick to the more familiar fish and crustacean species.

The food here was crazy good. I had the seafood platter with eggplant fries. My wife had the corn and crab soup with the crab white lake. The food was just as good as anything you would find in a fancy New Orleans restaurant.

We shared an order of peach bread pudding for dessert – it was really good.

This was a great lunch. The food was delicious, the wait staff was great, and the general manager (Robert?) stopped by to chat.

The food was a bit expensive, but well worth it. We will definitely have lunch here again someday next time we find ourselves in Frog City Louisiana.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Alamosa, Colorado
“Absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We made reservations for 13 for lunch and were led to a separate side room they had set up for us. The lone wait staff did a good job of taking separate orders and serving them correctly. The food, oh, the food was mouth watering and wonderful. The onion rings were a "must have"; so tender with a light batter. Everyone marveled over their dishes...the shrimp enchiladas were a big hit, as was the Crab White Lake (eggplant slices, topped with crabmeat stuffing and smothered in a crawfish butter sauce). The desserts were very impressive, especially the Peach Bread Pudding....oh, my, so decadent.

We were all impressed with the low prices considering the gourmet foods we had...good value and beautiful atmosphere. Highly recommend Chef Roy's. We will return before leaving this area.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Willis, Texas
“Wow, it don't get any better than this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We looked at the reviews and decided to try it! NOTE: Chef Roy's Frog City Cafe is on the north side of I-10, it is NOT the Cajun Resurant that is connected to the truck stop called Frog City Casino on the south side of I-10.... We had the best Gator we ever had and the Egg Plant fries were a refreshing replacement for the old standard Potato fries, the Crab Cakes and Ground Chuck Steak w/brown gravy were also over the top.... We highly recommend Chef Roy's to everyone!!!!
Dale and June Wingert

Ashbourne
“Cajun hospitality at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We eat at Chef Roy's twice while staying in Rayne and were made to feel very welcome by management and staff. The food is great and authentic with great Cajun specialities. After our first meal we were invited to join a Cajun music evening the following day which combined with starting the Frog Festival proceedings (Rayne is the Frog Capital of the World!). The management reserved us a great table in the middle of a vibrant Cajun audience. A memorable evening! A great place to eat and appreciate Cajun life.

Visited September 2013
Pearl River, LA
“Seafood melted in my mouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The food melted in my mouth. Every entrée that I had was wonderful. While in Rayne, I ate there 3 out of 4 days for supper and/or lunch. I wish I live closer to Rayne. I would be there at least twice a month.

• Visited July 2013