“Food is good, but the service is lacking” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 58 Restaurants in Natchitoches
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Shreveport, Louisiana, United States
“Food is good, but the service is lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

There aren't a lot of options for "fine dining" in this small town, so I think standards aren't quite that high. It's also a college town, which guarantees a steady supply of non-professional waitstaff employees. Those things said, the service has been disappointing the last few times I've eaten here. It hasn't been terrible, and perhaps my expectations are just too high - but a "white table cloth" restaurant should have well-trained, knowledgable waiters. At my most recent experience, there was some confusion around one of the entrees. After it was served differently than the waitress had described, both the waitress and the manager on duty over-explained what the menu said and that there was a miscommunication. What could have been easily solvable turned into an awkward situation because neither the waitress not the manager knew how to appropriately deal with the situation. It seemed as if they probably had never actually eaten in a nice restaurant in a large city to understand what good service should be.

Freeport, Texas
“Very nice lunch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had a light lunch of the local favorite, Natchitoches Meat Pie. Everything was well spiced. The restaurant was clean and nicely appointed.

Visited March 2014
Natchitoches, Louisiana
“GOOD FOOD - BEAUTIFUL SETTING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We frequent this business and over the years the food and service have been very good - has a great lunch menu at reasonable prices and it's location on the river makes for a great setting!

Visited February 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Must Do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have a meal here every time we visit or pass through Natchitoches. Nice for couples, families, excellent food.

Visited September 2013
The Woodlands, Texas
“Mixed result”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Overall we enjoyed our dinner at The Landing, but my wife and I had mixed results with our main courses. I had a thick-cut, bone-in pork chop that was coked well and was delicious. My wife had duck and grits, in which she found the duck over cooked and the sauce artificial. She like the Gouda grits. What saved the day was when our waiter informed us the wine by the bottle was half off! We ordered the best bottle they had (Nickel and Nickel Cabernet) for dinner, and took a second bottle back to our B&B. I'd go back but may have to convince my wife to try again. Our waiter was very good.

Visited February 2014