“Value and Cheapness are Two Different Things” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Natchitoches Inn

You added Natchitoches Inn to your Saves list
Natchitoches Inn
7624 Highway 1 Bypass, Natchitoches, LA 71457 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Natchitoches
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Value and Cheapness are Two Different Things”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Value means that you're getting something for your money. You don't get much at America's Best Value Inn. You get a cheap night in a barely passable motel room.

Although it was moderately clean, the surfaces and decor were so old there wasn't much point in keeping them that way. The walls were so very thin that we could hear every word spoken in the adjoining room. It is located near nothing at all, in the middle of nowhere.

Once again, even though I'd booked for THREE people in advance, there were TWO glasses, paper cups, etc. When I went to the front desk to get more, I was told that housekeeping was gone for the day and they were the only one with access to such things. She did give me a stack of styrofoam cups and some set ups for the little coffee pot in the room. I don't know why hotels request the number in the party in advance if they're not going to do anything with the information.

The continental breakfast was a sad affair that no one in our party was told of in advance. I only knew because I booked at travelocity and they said there was one. It consisted of coffee, milk, some pseudo-juice sweetened drink, three cereals, bread and toaster, but no butter, jam, blueberry muffins, and value honey buns. Additionally, there was no music or tv, making it an even more dour experience.

As we checked out, the owner was quick to ask us to book directly through them so they could charge me more and keep more of the money. No, thanks. That won't be necessary.

Room Tip: Paying more elsewhere would be of a better value than sleeping here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
briannatchitoches, Owner at Natchitoches Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

This response is long overdue and in such case, I wish I was already in my position to assist with the unpleasant experience you endured during your stay. However, I am pleased to tell you that many changes have and will continue to go into effect in 2013, to ensure that the very best efforts in part of everyone on staff to make sure every guest is taken care of to the utmost value. Everyone who travels here is important and a vital asset to our longevity, to our livelihood. I've taken the necessary steps to implement some standards that were not up to par and only hope you will give us a chance to really show you great hospitality at the best value.

Brian Shon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My family and I stayed here during my son's graduation. The room was clean, the staff was kind and helpful, and the pool was a nice plus! Overall, I am very happy with the value. If you are looking for a place to comfortably and affordably rest your head while in the area, I would recommend this spot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

my stay here was wonderful. the room was nice and clean and roomy, it even had a sofa chair to sit in. the staff was very nice and friendly and helped us every way possible.

Room Tip: i enjoyed the king bed non smoking
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I went to this hotel as a last minute pit stop on my way to a conference in NO. It provided the basic necessities, but surprisingly had a couple of pluses -- free wifi, breakfast, and swimming pool!

The rooms were quiet (even with kids playing in the pool). Was able to hear some people next door though, but all in all it was an ideal place to get some rest and work done.

Also, the lunch buffet on Tuesday was great. Fried chicken, frito pie salad, beans & rice, okra...you can tell it was homemade southern style cookin! It's just too bad they don't open for lunch everyday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. I read the reviews and took my chances.

The truth is, it is just a place to lay your head. It was very close to my relatives and had the basic bed, tv, shower, coffee maker, iron, etc. We just did not have the extra cash to stay in a nicer place, but if you do, do! The College Inn, and Lousianne Motel looked far worse, but this place was a notch up.

If you look hard, you will notice that there is dust, the exterior is unkept. It is just the basics, and I swear there may be two people maintaining the place. When I walked it was at least 80+ degrees a blinking overhead light, etc. I was told this was done to save on electricity (poor employees!)

My tips:
1. Take some lysol spray or smell good (to get the place to your liking)
2. Make sure you leave the room a/c on because it gets hot quickly
3. Bathroom hot, so don't plan on soaking or touching the walls (a bit gritty)
3. Take bug spray as you may find an occasional cricket or spider
4. Continental breakfast consist of loaf of bread, instant grits, oatmeal, cereal, coffee, tea, fresh orange, apples, bananas, and packaged honeybuns. Dining room very warm as well. So, eat in your room.

The maid did supply fresh linens the next day and made the bed, and took out the trash, but don't expect much more. There will be a splatter here on the wall here or there, but all in all, not a total dump.

It depends on your needs, it will not be as nice as a Best Western, so if that is what you are thinking, go elsewhere.

I am a working mom with a toddler, so perhaps it was heaven because I knew I did not have to clean it when I left.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Houma, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

When I called and booked this hotel for myself and a friend, I thought I was getting a deal, it was priced under what I wanted to spend and it was near the college. Boy was I shocked when my friend and I drove up to it!! It looked like hotel that had been closed down!! The parking lot was patched up with weeds growing in the cracks, the bushes, trees and grass was overgrown and there was only one car in the front parking lot. When we walked up to the front doors the glass looked like it was washed with a dirty dish rag! We walked into a dark lobby with a box fan, it was extremely hot and the glass table top and windows to the restaurant must've been wiped with the same dirty dish rag! At that point I should've said I didn't want the room, but I figured that I would be charged for not cancelling in advance. we received our key and drove around to the room, where there were only two cars. When we walked into the room we were hit with a musky odor & hot!! There were cobwebs on the chair, enough dust to fill the entire hotel with and the time on the clock was blinking, which let me know that the electricity had been off. I just wonder how long it was off, or if it's turned on only when someone stays in the room! We drove around to the office, and there was actually another car in the parking lot, we walked in the lobby and told the young man at the desk that there was no way we could stay there! He called his manager and they credited my credit card, he left the lobby to check the room, his friend that was there (obviously that's where the 2nd car comes from), told us that he doesn't blame us and that he wouldn't stay there either! He tols us that the manager keeps the thermostat set at 84 degrees in the lobby that's why it is so hot! The pictures on the website for this hotel is false advertisment, I wouldn't let my animals saty at this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: If you are in the area, the Econo Lodge was a great hotel! Rooms were until $100, new hotel, clean...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Conway, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This place was disgusting. I honestly can't believe we stayed after we had to change rooms due to body hairs being in the bed. I went to give our little girl a bath in the tub and it looked like someone had shaved their parts in the tub. I almost put my little girl in that bathtub! I told the manager on duty, who I had to go look for after waiting for 20 minutes. This wasn't a pleasant stay at all. We love Natchitoches and we will be staying coming there to stay again, but not at this hotel. Nasty. All I can say is body hairs...gross.

Room Tip: Body Hairs in beds and bathrooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
briannatchitoches, Owner at Natchitoches Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

I was horrified to hear about your recent experience here at my hotel. I have an expectation for every guest to have a proper, fantastic time and knowing that you didn't helped me to re-evaluate my staff. I did EXTENSIVELY go over you review with housekeeping and the front desk staff to explain why it's important to take every measure with every guest to the best of our ability to keep a professional standard in everything that we do, especially with cleanness and dress code. There has been some implemented changes to protocol in how we double check and make sure each room is above standard once each individual housekeeper leaves that room and declares that room clean. The dress code has been re-established and enforced to ensure professionalism is displayed at all times. Again, my deepest apologies for your experience and I hope that you will consider coming to see us again and definitely seeing the better of us!

Brian Shon

Been to Natchitoches Inn? Share your experiences!