“Stay away!!! You will find better!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites and Conference Center

You added Clarion Inn & Suites and Conference Center to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1051 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Intersection of I-20 and Hwy 165, Monroe, LA 71203   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Monroe
“Stay away!!! You will find better!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the indoor pool, the front desk staff was friendly, but when we got to our room our troubles began. My husband found a roach and killed it before the kids could see, but after our swim he was giving our son a shower when another roach, even bigger was in the bathroom! Gross! My husband caught it under a glass and took a picture. I called the front desk and asked to be moved. We got our keys and an apology, got to the new room and my daughter went to use the bathroom. She went to flush and there was feces or blood right next to the flusher! By now it is almost ten at night, I took a pic and went to the front desk to check out while my husband was booking a room somewhere else!
It's true the hotel has duct taped carpet and needs an update for what they charge you should get a CLEAN updated room.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
North Canton, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is unusual for a Choice Hotels property and not at all what we expected or are used to. To begin with, the hotel signs, entry drive and parking lot are not well identified or well lit at all. Trying to get to the front door was a challenge. There was a car and people blocking the doorway. (They were still there more than an hour later when we went out to the car for an item)

Entering the lobby, we found quite a few people just hanging around sprawled all over the furniture. Not sure what they were doing there but it just seemed very odd to us. Not sure if the area the hotel is in is the problem or if the security isn't up to par. We were told the next morning that security is attempting to address these issues but it seemed to us they hadn't accomplished that goal while we were there.

The lobby carpet is duct taped together and did not give us a good overall impression of the maintenance of the hotel in general. The young man responsible for our check in seemed to be on a personal call and he was much more worried about that than helping us check in and directing us to our room.

The hotel is a very large property and the hallways and room numbering system are laid out very strange. There was no help to be had at the front desk to find our room so the confusing maps became our only guide. Once we found the Atrium on the map and found that area, finding our room was easier.

The King Suite was over 500 square feet including the bathroom. It was laid out a little odd but seemed to work well for us. It was clean, well furnished and the bedding was comfortable.

Breakfast was well supplied with lots of choices available. Served in a very large room with lots of tables, it was nice to not be crowded in the breakfast area as we have been in other hotels.

The check out staff courteous and helpful. She gave us a card to fill out in regards to our issues with the staff the night before.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Englewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Well my family and I were here for business and pleasure, I was here on business and brought my family along for the ride. Needless to say my kids had a blast with the indoor pool of course that was a plus. My business was suppose to last 4 days but ended up staying 5 I would want to compliment this hotel staff of a job well done. Housekeeping was very pleasant they kept our room very clean even though we had 3 small kids. We had breakfast every morning the wait staff was very friendly. I don't want to leave anyone out the front desk was on point and very helpful. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If u have kids get a room close to the indoor pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Studio City, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

You couldn't pay me to stay here again and I wouldn't pay for my enemies to stay here.

1. The service is awful - Tip #1 your in the hospitality business "Act Like It"!
- The bartender only works from 5pm to 10pm, complains the whole time how we (the customers) are getting on her nerves asking for drinks, and she can't wait to close up for the night. We asked if someone could help with the pool table cause a ball was stuck. She rolled her eyes and said "I'm sick of all this mess, asking me to do stuff." Well I thought you were here to work and help guests out - sorry! Tip #2 - at 4.75 a beer honey that attitude is not getting you any cash tips.

2. Housekeeping is terrible - We staid here for over 2 weeks. We didn't ask for housekeeping everyday. But when we did they only made one of the beds and didn't fill the toiletries for the bathroom. I walked past a chip bag on the stairs for 4 days - I can't believe an employee (Housekeeping or Not) didn't pick that up for 4 days!!

3. Shuttle Service - Again we were here for 2 weeks. The shuttle service is free and takes you up to 5 miles. Like gracious patrons we tip the driver. One night we wanted to go to a restaurant, but were told they couldn't take us because there was a bar in the restaurant. To add there are not cabs available at all times of the day or areas of town, so what do we do now? Thanks for no hospitality there either.

4. They only good thing I saw about the property is the indoor pool, spa, shuffle board, ping pong tables and arcade. Tip #3 only one game in the arcade works.

5. Our sink and toilet leaked constantly. They told us to wrap towels around them so we wouldn't get the whole room wet!

6. The last night of our trip we walk into the room to see the full size mirror has fallen off the wall and shattered. We call down to the front and tell them, and ask what do we do. They say no one is here to clean it, so you have to change rooms. We didn't get offered a vacuum to get the glass out of our shoes or clothes. Yet, we had to move the larger pieces of glass and pack our items and move down the hall. All the while stepping on the smaller pieces breaking them and tracking them down the hall way and into the next room.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel! But if you have to stay here don't get a room on the indoor pool si...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hurley, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for several days last fall!! we had a room inside the atrium--it was nice for us--because it was perfect for the kids--the indoor pool was great!!and the hot tub!! they had some pool tables--and a huge open area-that could have been used for rollerskating!!! the kids loved all the space and we loved the peace and the price!! it is close to a train track,but on the inside-you never know it--it is also close to the mall--which is very large!!! there is a zoo in Monroe!!it is an interesting place--drive north and see farming country and you might even see a celebrity--DUCK DYNASTY!!!!! DURING THIS STAY we also went to DELHI,LA - -there is a wonderful WILDLIFE SAFARI drive through--to visit--you will love it--very friendly and peaceful!!!the hotel was very comfortable!!we will go back!!!

Room Tip: any room on the inside or in the back away from train tracks!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rising Star
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel has some age on it and it shows in some places but oh my goodness it is beautiful and the rooms are wonderful and could not have been cleaner. I slept so good and felt very safe. The staff is AWESOME! If you are staying in Monroe, I highly recommend this hotel. I will stay here again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: It is an older hotel but it was VERY clean and the staff is amazing. The atrium rooms have a beautif...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bossier City, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

It's become really difficult to obtain a hotel room during the week in the Monroe area so in desperation I stayed here when I couldn't get into any of the Marriott or Hilton chain hotels. It was OK for a single night and could be so great. For a family, there's a pool table, arcade room, ping pong tables, indoor pool, etc. Sleeping room was large and great water pressure. Free buffet breakfast but it was awful - tasteless grits (even AFTER the addition of margarine) and COLD egg omelets (and the guy was just setting them out when I was there). Fitness room had 2 of the old non-flat-screen TVs (like in the rooms) and the one by the treadmill only got 1 channel - Disney - couldn't channel up or down on the TV and no remote. No towels first evening or next morning although shelving for some & some used ones in the hamper. Had 4 machines and a universal gym (rusting). The lobby and main hallways had duct tape over what I presume are rips in the carpet in a number of spots. Room did have a good sized mini-fridge and microwave, one of which I had to unplug to plug in my laptop. No luggage rack to put suitcase on. Bathroom was tiny with no room for personal hygiene or make-up and very dim lighting. No elevator to 2nd floor where my room was so had to lug up my wheeled luggage one step at a time on the open metal steps. When I came out after 6 pm to meet a friend for dinner, the lights weren't on yet over stair area and very little natural light still coming in from outside thru few windows. It was SCARY dark coming down those steps in heels - dangerous! Thank goodness for flashlight on i-phone. Staff was very nice, this place just needs updating in a bad way. I knew enough to ask for a room away from the railroad track - stayed there years ago and fell for that - sat bolt upright in bed when a train came thru in the middle of the night. Ice machines are spread out, wasn't one very close to my room. Was only $82/night but I'd rather pay more and get more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites and Conference Center? Share your experiences!