“Not as bad as i expected” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Metairie to your Saves list
Knights Inn Metairie
Knights Inn Metairie
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   5733 Airline Drive, Metairie, LA 70003 (Formerly Travel Inn Plaza)   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Metairie
mn
“Not as bad as i expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

From outside looks a bit dilapidated. Room has loud colors but fairly clean. Large (1-2") bug was crawling across ceiling. Breakfast was not very good--refrigerated donuts? It is a modestly priced place close to the airport so if you are not fussy may be worth staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Laurel, Mississippi, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

If your looking for a place to crash and get some sleep and don't mind the sound of planes then this is a good place to be.

The King room is nice, the bed is pretty comfortable. The refigerator was cold, but the freezer don't work, small coffee pot, iron, ironing board and hair dryer are cool. The only true issue is the Bi Polar shower.....It seriously cannot decide whether it wants to be hot or cold. Regardless of how you set the knobs....it changes to what it wants. Both my Husband and I tried to take a shower after a long day, I didn't believe him at first when he told me the water changed by itself....BIG MISTAKE. I jumped in and it did it to me....Not a good thing when you have soap in your hair and the water turns ICE COLD. Needless to say I hurried up and go out.

The pool is clean and clear, and the grill out beside it looks nice. The parking is pretty spacious. All in all it was a pretty good place to stay. The continental breakfast needs some work, with a few doughnuts and cereal...its a quick bite before you have to get on the road.

I would stay here again, but will take a bath instead of a shower, and Bring some pillows...the ones they have are small.

Room Tip: We stayed in the bottom floor by the pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed at the Knights Inn Metairie for five nights while in town for WrestleMania April 2nd thru the 7th. As my trip approached I was nervous having read the reviews this place has received and I'm happy to report that my experience far differs from the awful reviews this place has received.

Here's the deal. I'm pretty sure the people who reviewed this motel so poorly booked themselves a 2.5-star motel, but expected 5 stars. If you're expecting luxury when staying here, you're to blame for your disappointments, not the motel.

A flat rate cab ride cost me $20 to get from the airport to the hotel. Not bad, especially since I split the cab with a friend. I arrived earlier than the appointed check-in time and wasn't even questioned about checking in early. The front desk was helpful and friendly. No complaints there.

After I checked in, I headed to my room. Just a heads up, your only option to the second floor are stairs. No big deal to me personally. On my way to my room, I was happily surprised with the pool and courtyard area! The pool was huge and clean. I wish I had brought my suit! The courtyard behind the pool was pretty with flowers and palm trees.

I entered my room expecting a complete dive and was delighted to find a very clean, nice room with a flat screen TV. It's not fancy, but again, when you're booking a 2.5 star hotel you need to know what to expect. The beds weren't as comfy as a Hyatt bed obviously, but I was comfortable and given extra pillows without any trouble. The bathroom was clean, the dresser storage a plenty. If I had to make a complaint, the walks are a little thin, so you can hear your neighbors a little more than in a pricier hotel, but I'll gladly take that over paying what it costs to stay downtown.

Location is another great aspect of staying here. Directly next store is a Sonic restaurant which makes it easy to hop over for a quick bite. Also, there's a Winn Dixie grocery store on the other side, which is a very nice option to stock up on snacks and drinks for the room especially considering that every room has a microwave and fridge/freezer in it.

Getting downtown will cost you around $25. It sounds expensive but comparing what I spent on cabs to the cost of staying downtown, I definitely saved huge by staying at the Knights Inn.

I saw in some of the reviews complaint about the trailer park beside the hotel. I personally didn't have one single issue with this during my entire stay. I think people just love to exaggerate and create problems that aren't there. I honestly had an overall positive experience at this motel and will stay here again when I return to New Orleans.

One more thing to note. You can catch the E2 bus directly across from the motel and the E2 bus from downtown literally drops you off at the hotel. It's $2 to ride the E2, which is a great option for transportation as long as the bus times work with your plans.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We pre-booked 2 nights here and wouldn't even have stayed 1 if anything else had been available. The room reeked of baby powder, mold, and body odor. There was no black out curtain so I slept with a jacket over my head to block out the bright exterior light shining into the room. That did nothing to muffle the blaring tv and outrageous snoring coming from next door! There was no blanket and only 3 flat pillows. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well. Also, the shower water barely qualified as lukewarm. We are NOT picky but we searched desperately for other lodging within a few minutes of our arrival there. Next time we will either plan ahead or stay home!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

It;s Oct 31 2013, I have a 10 hr drive from Jefferson City, TN and I need to be in New Orleans no later then 5PM. So my day has started quite early and the only snag I have is about a 30 minute delay on Interstate 40 outside of Knoxville TN for a very bad car accident. Enough said on that.

I had made my reservations for the Knights Inn well in advance so I wasn't worried about that $210.00 for a 4 night stay during VOODOO festival (no didn't go to VOODOO festival). I was there at a special request from my baby sister. Oh, sorry, off the track again, LOL.

Ok so, I get to the hotel and upon driving up tot he front, i'm like, uhh-no, no, no...I'm sorry but the front looks like a hotel that is abandoned, OK, so I go in, go to the front desk tell the clerk who I am and say I have a reservation. Hmmm...funny, he can't find. Folks, always, always, always (I cannot stress that enough) travel with a printed copy of your reservation. So I pull it out and OH...wait, here is your reservation. 1 obstacle solved. Now, as I mentioned ina previous review I perfer rooms on the ground floor and non smoking, so I ask the clerk if there is a non smoking room on the ground floor and I get told there aren't any available.

Ok, so where is your elevator? Clerk: we do not have 1
Say what? you don't have an elevator? I'm not climbing 2 flights of stairs every day, twice a day for 4 days. So, I am offered a smoking room on the ground floor, hey works for me. Pay my reservation, get my key and off I go to the room. Not really paying any attention to my surrounding at the time cause Im on a schedule. Go around, park the car, go to the room and the first thing I see is a "no smoking" sign on the door.
Hey wait a minute, didn't the clerk just tell me not even 10 minutes ago there wasn't any non smoking rooms on the ground floor? Who checked out that fast? LOL

Ok, so now I open the door and my next thought is : what circus have a stepped into? Seriously, the curtain on the window was multi color circles. OK, get past that. In the room-beds are too low tot he floor. The closest area, no hangars and no light. How do you expect someone to hang up their clothes? (that's OK though, during the course of my stay I discovered a rather large spider in the corner and I hate spiders!) The space between the closest area and the bathroom has a refrigerator which does not work correctly as there is water on the bottom of it.

The bathroom, well let's see-the tub is missing the strainer, the plug for the sink does not work, the panel behind the toilet is falling out of the wall and the toilet paper is in a holder that reminds of one you might find in a public bathroom or restaurant bathroom. OH WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO?????

The only good thing is that my sister is 7 doors away

Ok, Im hungry. The closest thing is SONIC right next door. Please grant me the strength to find other places to eat close by. (which by the way there is a CICI's not 5 minutes away along with your other various fast food joints, a diner and a WINN DIXIE.

Now, lets talk about that continental breakfast again: stale donuts, coffee and cereal. WOW!
Now they do offer coffee 24/7 but the only problem with that is they lock the door to the breakfast room from the inside so you can't get in from the outside and if you try to go tot he main door they lock that at 5pm. So they purpose of having coffee 24/7 is what? you can;t get to it! Oh, and if you do want that cereal and stale donuts don't expect to get it until 7am maybe later cause the door to the breakfast room doesn't get unlocked until that time so you would have to walk to the front of the building.

Now, let's talk about the pool. Pool was very clean and we got to know the cleaning pool guy as we would chat with him each morning but he isn't responsible for the condition of the pool furniture. Seriously, there was not one piece of pool furniture you cud sit on without fear of falling through.

Now let's talk about that laundry room: $2.00 wash, ok reasonable/dryer $2.75 and after 45 minutes the clothes still are not dry. Don't waste your money!

Surrounding area: hmmm....hotel is built right next to a trailer park. Make sure you don't leave your valuables in the car and that you lock your car.

Plus side: you definitely can not hear any traffic in a back corner room

Room Tip: Oh please, learn from my mistake-pick another hotel. I know I will
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed here for just one night in March. The rooms were quite big and were pretty much what you would expect for a 2 star hotel. At first I was worried about the location but it was OK, as there is a burger drive through next door and a Wynn Dixie 5 minutes walk west of the hotel. I didn't mind it because I was honestly expecting the worst, because of the reviews and the price.
The staff were also friendly.
The only real downside was the suspicious behavior that was happening there. I could hear people all night talking about drugs, but I just ignored it and minded my own business (and probably for the best).

Room Tip: OK, if only a short stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Port Richey, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

It's a budget hotel, and you get what you pay for. Unfortunately we paid too much, because we made last minute reservations at a very busy time. Pros: The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very clean. Cons: The pool area needed work, and was not usable. Some updating is needed throughout the hotel, and the beds were very small. It's about 20 minutes from the French Quarter, and about the same from the Fairgrounds/Festival. The cab ride averaged $25 for 4 people one way.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Knights Inn Metairie? Share your experiences!