“Meets or Exceeds Expectation” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
New Canaan, CT USA
“Meets or Exceeds Expectation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Acme Oyster House in the French Quarter was already ancient when I was born. I cannot remember when it did not exist.

The one in Metairie is a little newer. It is on the Veteran's Highway in what I think of as "new" Metairie. The Veterans Hwy was reclaimed from the swamp when I was in high school. The first time I drove on it there was nothing, no thing, on its entire ten mile length. Now, sixty years later, it is fully and solidly developed.

The Acme Oyster house is one of many New Orleans institutions that have contributed to this development. Now we all know that ancient institutions are not completely portable. Many of us have been disappointed by attempts to replicate them in new locations. So it was with some trepidation that I accepted my niece's recommendation to choose it for a family dinner near her.

I was not disappointed. However, that occasion was about family and I do not remember much more than that. This past weekend I chose it because I wanted a shrimp po'boy near my hotel.

The atmosphere is neon beer signs, TVs behind the bar, and classic country and western ballads. You know what else goes with that.

I ordered the half shrimp po'boy with a cup of gumbo and a beer. Though not the best I ever had (see my review of Domilise's) the po'boy was good. The gumbo is best described as an "old" gumbo, one that had been tended on the back burner for a week or so. It was mellow, with just enough fresh cooked rice on top. I will go back for that gumbo.

Ooops! I almost forgot to tell you about the beer. Good seafood is not about the beer, but a good beer is part of the experience. This was cold fresh Abita Amber served in a very cold frosted schooner.

I did not have the oysters but the guy next to me at the bar did, so I can tell you about them. When I sat down, he was working on a dozen raw oysters. I could see that they were fresh, cold, and plump, just like those that made the French Quarter famous. Just about the time he finished those, they brought him a second dozen char grilled. They looked great too.

Now, if you are looking for fine dining on white table cloths, The Acme is not the place. Try Emeril's Delmonico. They too serve oysters. But if you are looking for oysters and other great seafood, well served in a family friendly atmosphere, you will enjoy The Acme Oyster house.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Indianapolis
“Two great meals!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had lunch and dinner one the same day. First it was just the family. At dinner it was a group of 10. Both times the food and service were excellent.

Visited June 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Food Ok-Service Sucks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

we were on vacation and we had heard the seafood was ok. We went on a Saturday night. The wait was not long maybe 20 minutes. The guy that seated us was very friendly and nice. We waited for about 10 minutes before the waiter came over to take our order for drinks. I ordered water for my drink and my glass was empty, but he never refilled it. He was walking around with our plates for our appetizers under his arm (we did not use them). The food was ok, but that waiter needs to be fired. I am not sure of his name but he was a tall black guy. We will not ever visit this place if we are in the area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jenks, OK
“Great local fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We enjoyed the variety of local favorites. The blackened oysters were the best anywhere in NOLA. It was busy. Plan on a wait of around 30 minutes, but it is well worth it!

Visited May 2013
Blairsville, Georgia, United States
“Casual Dining at its Finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We love the Acme. If we are in the Quarter, we always stop in to visit, but we love to go to Metairie and visit the Acme. The food is so consistently good. Our hostess, Mia was so helpful and friendly. She set the atmosphere for a great meal. You never feel rushed and you enjoy your time spent. I highly recommend the grilled oysters!!

• Visited May 2013