“The old gray mare...” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Oyster Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Home of the Original Charbroiled Oyster!
stlphotogal
“The old gray mare...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Sadly, while the chargrilled oysters were are as spectacular as we'd remembered, the rest of the food left something to be desired. Our first visit to this Metarie landmark took place nearly 13 years ago and the food/ambiance blew us away. When returning to the Crescent City we knew that this was a "must visit". As things do, the restaurant had grown and, in this case, not necessarily for the positive. The service, which had once been top notch, seemed rushed and disingenuous. As I mentioned, the oysters were every bit as incredible as I'd recalled but the lobster we had on our second visit to this eatery during our five day stay in New Orleans, was overcooked to the point of being nearly inedible. I'd encourage management to take a hard look at the evolution of their brand.

Metairie, Louisiana
“Drago's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Have gone here many, many times over many years. Know family many years. Best oysters in USA. They invented Char Grilled Oysters. Absolutely most delicious oyster dish in world. Also, fresh raw oysters. Drago is the daddy of the Czitanovich family. They are Croatian and have many NO Croatisn friends and family in the oyster business. Good connections get the best fresh food supplies. Great fish and all other seafood. Don't come for steak here. Eat a dozen Char Grilled, then have a stuffed lobster. They also have live Maine lobsters of all sizes.

Visited June 2014
Houston, Texas
“You MUST eat the oysters!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I am not an oyster fan, but these chargrilled oysters were amazing! We were concerned that we would be underdressed (shorts) but it was fine--many families in the restaurant.

Visited June 2014
Asheville, North Carolina
“Always stop here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I try my best to always eat here when I ma visiting my original home town. All thesea food is good, but the oysters are the best!

Visited April 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great Seafood Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I were in town visiting relatives who suggested Drago's as a place that could handle my gluten-free requirements. This was our first visit. Though Drago's doesn't have a gluten-free menu, the wait-staff is able to make informed comments about which food can be prepared safely. I got a seasoned redfish, which was very good, though I didn't care for either of the two sides (boring spinach and weird-tasting collard greens). The rest of our party had the char-broiled oysters, a specialty of the house, as an appetizer and said they were excellent. The other meals eaten were the Shuckee Duckee (duck and oysters), a stuffed fish, and a lobster. All were excellent and properly prepared. For dessert I had some vanilla ice cream, which was fabulous – the best I've had in a restaurant. However, another person said their crème brulée was simply OK. The service was excellent, even though the place was crowded (at 6 pm on a Tuesday!). Drago's does not take reservations. Parking is free, but the lot is not all that big and is divided into two sections, which can be a bit confusing for a first-timer. We would eat here again and are happy we've found a new restaurant to eat at in town.

• Visited July 2014