“Excellent gumbo & fried chicken” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Trabuco Canyon, California
“Excellent gumbo & fried chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Nice people, busy place, good location. It doesn't have any atmosphere and that's fine. Just part of a strip mall, no big signage. The food is fresh and fast and priced mid-point. Within walking distance of most hotels in the area.

Visited October 2013

Saco, Maine
“Must stop and eat at Chef Ron's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Do yourself a favor and eat at this fabulous out of the way gem of a restaurant. Three of us decided to try it based on the reviews, here on trip advisor. Reviews were right on. We had the Jambalaya, Sausage and chicken gumbo and chicken creole, after an excellent appetizer of boudin balls. Would recommend all the above. Would eat there again and so should you. Thank you Chef Ron.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Monroe, Louisiana
“Good cajun food at a fair price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ate here for lunch with a friend who had his first trip to LA. Was worried about getting a seat after reading the stellar reviews and knowing it was a small place. Went in during lunch hour and there were plenty of tables and were seated immediately. After reading the menu I saw the seafood gumbo had okra and began to worry. Sometimes okra can be incorporated into gumbo with good results and other times you get a slimy soup. We were not disappointed. Although not the best ever gumbo I have ever eaten it was probably top 5 to 10. I eat a lot of gumbo and cook a lot too. The boudin balls are out of this world good and are probably the best I have ever eaten. Also had a shrimp po boy and it was typical New Orleans style with a lot of shrimp and minimal dressings. I put the dipping sauce from the boudin on it and it was over the top good. Chef Ron came out and visited with everyone. He offered to cook our fish if we brought them in as he realized we were down to go offshore. I will probably take him up on that one day. I will be back and plan to sample the jambalaya next time

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Reston, Virginia, United States
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Don't let the location and spartan setting fool you. I was visiting on business from Reston, VA, and was going to have dinner at another spot. Then, I saw the great reviews on Chef Ron's and decided to check it out. I was looking for a great "local food" experience, and this exceeded all expectations. Seafood gumbo, crawfish etouffee,' and red beans/sausage/rice were lights-out fantastic. Chef Ron walks around and chats with the guests and asks if the food is meeting your expectations - great personal touch. Great food and service, great staff, and Chef Ron is the bomb. Enjoy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Orleans, Louisiana
“GREAT place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I ordered the shrimp etouffee with a side of Jambalaya while my friend ordered seafood gumbo with a side of jambalaya. We are both picky about the food we eat and I must tell you that we were thoroughly impressed with the flavor, quality and quantity of the food we ate. The food was so good, I was knocked out for 4 hours afterwards. I will definitely go back to Chef Ron's restaurant and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to try authentic New Orleans Food. The service was also GREAT!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere