“Clean!! Friendly staff!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Metairie
Vicksburg
“Clean!! Friendly staff!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I'm always leery about a cheap motel, but this place was CLEAN which is what I am looking for. Cons: sheets were very worn and had some stains on them, but they were clean. Thin walls, so you could here people outside. Also, since it was Mardi Gras weekend, we stopped at the hotel to let them know that we were there; when we checked in around midnight, they could not find our reservation, but they gave us a room despite the fact that when we got home, we had a message saying they had overbooked and moved us to a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Booked this through one of the Express Deal sites for a darn good rate. Very sketchy location at the end of a dark alley; felt unsafe unloading my car. The lady working in the old, dated lobby was nice enough but could not accomodate our request for 2 beds instead of a king unless we wanted a smoking room. Reluctantly took a smoking room because we had 4 people and couldn't pile everyone into a King. The room was clean enough but old, dated, and just had that "I don't want to touch anything in here" feeling to it. The fridge and microwave were very nice to have, though. I don't regret staying here, but I wouldn't do it again nor would I recommend it, even at the price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room unless you REALLY want to be overwhelmed with smoke smell.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

It is the cheapest place to stay within the nola area, and around 10-15 minutes from the downtown ( if you bring your own car ). However, the quality of the "extended-stay" Sun Suites is, well, in the lower end area. The bathrooms had hairs all over the bath tub from the previous guests. The floor was similar. The rooms had smell of stale cigarettes. TV had a suspicious stain on the speaker grill.. hmm.. Trying not to think how it got there. The furniture was very dirty. We picked a bottle of Lysol from a local Target store ( on the other side of the highway ) and cleaned pretty much.. everything.

On the positive side- the bed sheets were clean, but we still used our own sleeping bag liners sprayed with permethrin ( just in case ).

There is no room service. If you need fresh towels ( after cleaning everything ), you need to bring them to front desk to get new set.

Overall, if you are not picky, single and try to score a cheap place, this may be ok for a night or two. If you are pick about hotels, don't even bother looking here.

Room Tip: Ssk for room where smoking is prohibited. There are only few of those rooms, but you may get lucky...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was my first time visiting NOLA and me and my husband didn't really know what to expect in terms of driving, parking, etc. 12 miles from the french quarter doesn't seem like a long way, but if you are planning on spending most of your time in the FQ, this is not the place to stay. Taxi fare and parking is outrageous so we were better off just paying the extra money for somewhere downtown.
This extended stay is moderately clean and moderately comfortable. The room smelled of stale cigarettes and I had to clean the back of the toilet first thing because they must not have lowered the toilet seat when they were cleaning. Be aware there is no daily housekeeping (which is fine by me) so don't expect it. The staff were friendly when I did need to speak with them, but they seemed uninterested in our experience.
I recommend this hotel for those who are just passing through or need an extended stay. For couples and families who are looking to party down in NOLA, not so much.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The kitchenette was great for longer stay. Just off Rte 10. Only 15 minutes to the Quarter. There are many restaurants and shopping areas nearby. The room was clean and all facilities worked. Thanks for great stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Andover, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed at the Sun Suites in Metairie in December 2013. I was traveling with my family of five and needed two rooms for several days to attend a funeral. Timing for the costs of this trip could not be worse for us with Christmas just around the corner. I needed a place for my family to sleep. I did not need a swimming pool or a fancy high priced restaurant in the lobby or other fancy amenities offered at other hotels for significantly higher room rates. The staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay and we had no issues with our rooms during our stay. It was a great value and Sun Suites met my expectations perfectly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

in October, my husband and I traveled to New Orleans. I booked the Sun Suites In Metarie as we
would be headed out to Lafayette to the Festival Acadienne the next day, and just needed to sleep and then be on our way. We arrived at 11 pm, and the office was closed after 9 pm, so we pressed the after hours bell. There was no answer, and never was an answer for the hour we spent pounding on the door, calling, yelling and doing all we could to arouse the management and get to our PAID FOR room. We never did get anyone, and all hotels were sold out that night. We ended up the other side of town a couple of hours later.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you are coming in at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Suites Metairie? Share your experiences!