“Keep your expectations low” 3 of 5 stars

Sun Suites Metairie
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4409 Hearst Street, Metairie, LA 70001   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Metairie
Montreal
“Keep your expectations low”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Location: 10 minute drive from downtown NO. By I-10, 5 min from airport, 5 min from many shopping areas
Rooms: You get what you pay for. All room have a kitchenette (you have to request the pot and pan from front desk as they no longer leave them in the rooms). After reading all the reviews, I was nervous about cleanliness, so I brought cleaning product and scrubbies and dishsoap and I disinfected everything before using it. At first glance though, it was not that bad, but we just felt better after cleaning it ourselves... We did not have any bugs, but again it is up to you as well if you will have them or not... this is the south: don't leave food scraps or old garbage lying around in your room! Common sense.
Staff: i have seen better customer service. Keep your expectation low.
Internet: hit and miss, unprotected network, be patient
All in all, inexpensive, our room was ok clean, good location and you can cook (save on restaurants) but again keep your expectations low, this is not Sheraton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was my second stay @ this locale. I found this property to be very centrally located and every taxi driver knew where it was. Check-in and check-out were seamless. While this site has seen better days, I saw maintenance working hard each day to make improvements. Also, they came up to me asking if I had any room issues. In fact, all their employees had a great attitude and were very glad to help me with various things. even though it wasn't their job.
I found roaches in the bathroom, but hey, it's the South; they have roaches Also, I didn't receive a scheduled wake-up call and the glasses/dishes were not sanitary. However, the laundry was fresh/clean and all issues were addresses as soon as I made them aware. As a solo female, I felt safe. The property was always quite w/ clean ice, full vending machines, working laundry room and a restaurant/convenience store within 50 feet. I WILL stay here again!

Room Tip: This site appears to cater to contractors, work crews helping to rebuild the city since Katrina. Th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Everything is old and warned out. Mattresses were OLD and very lumpy. Pillows horrible. Place smells. One of the worse places I stayed at. We reserved two rooms a month in advance, but when arrived they did not have adjasen rooms for us. The place is in industrial park and the security sirens went off in the middle of the night.

• Stayed November 2012
ARCATA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Ok,, I've stayed at cleaner,, nicer places.. But.. The Big Easy can be very pricey and this place isn't,, AND it includes a kitchen with full size fridge, stove top and microwave. Yes.. I wish it was cleaner and didn't smell of flood water.. so if you want something better then be prepared to pay triple or more for a better hotel. I have stayed here in years past and it used to be cleaner and newer but it isn't anymore.. The staff is a bit on the easy side themselves and the service can be hit or miss.. I found the internet to be quite lacking and the front desk has limited hours. Free parking ,, easy access to adjacent freeway, kitchen, and affordable.. those are the plusses.. If you are looking for an affordable decent place to stay with a kitchen,, Sun Suites is worth checking out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Gulfport, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is behind the Motel 8 off an access rd off I-10. It's about 15mins from the French Quarter and downtown. The staff knows nothing so don't ask. They are untrained. I woke up to about 10 cockroaches in the bathroom. The internet doesn't work and the 1-800# they provide depends on the staff at the desk....that's leaves at night. That's correct, the staff does not stay all night. The door is locked and you have to wait for security if you have any problems. The staff knows nothing about the internet. I was woke up both days by women arguing and cursing really loud next door at 6:30-7am. I only paid $53 a night and I will never go that cheap again. You've been warned!

Room Tip: The hotel is in Metairie so there are a lot of places to eat there. One exit East on I-10 is Vetera...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Need a cheap place to stay and looking for a bed and no extras this is a good choice.
This is the cheapest hotel I have ever stayed in after visiting New Orleans almost 20 times.
I love New Orleans and I came in on a limited buget and only planned to use this as a crash pad.
If you need ambience this is not the place for you and there are a very hotels such as the (LaQuinta on Veterans in Metairie that offer a little more comfort and a free breakfast, it also visible security). The comforter on the beds are not comfortable and are outdated, the carpet is dirty and has an odor. I also agree the neighborhood is a bit seedy.

With that said I brought a scented candle and air freshner, put slippers on my feet.
I made it work but really needs some updates. Also, I ran out of clean towels
and they had none washed at the time. I dropped them off at the office and when I
came back there were none available

Room Tip: get second floor just it seems safer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

After having spent a few nights in another place because it was the only room I could find after Hurricane Isaac hit the area, I was incredibly fortunate to find a room at the Sun Suites. I had spent a couple of weeks here before when I was working in the New Orleans area.

I left the other place without knowing where I'd find a room for the next few nights but for some reason I had a feeling I'd find one. The Sun Suites was top on my list. When I got there though they were booked and sold out because of the storm. The person at the desk said the manager was walking the rooms and would be back in a few minutes and maybe there would be a room available.

There wasn't. The place was booked. I still felt like I was going to get a room though. There was a reservation that hadn't showed up yet so I decided to wait. After an hour they called and canceled. Bingo I had a room right where I wanted to be at the best price I'd find. The room was a small suite with a kitchenette and eating area. It was clean and comfortable. I had a weekly rate so it was even cheaper than I thought it would be. I ended up having to move though because I was sent to another part of the state, and the hotel refunded my few days because they understood that it was my work that was moving me and not me trying to get the cheapest rate in town.

Sun Suites is a great clean place away from all the hectic chaos in the city. It's located in Metarie and is only fifteen to twenty minutes to the French Quarter if you know how to drive the short cuts.

Also you can get to the Huey Long bridge which is free to get over the river to the west bank and lower parishes. It's an amazing ride across that bridge. It's as thin as a super model, but they're working on widening it and it looks like that should be done soon. Might take all that thrill out of crossing now.

Metarie is right between the airport and New Orleans. There's plenty of places to eat right around the area. The entrance to the freeway is a left and then a right turn away, and boom you're on your way to Bourbon Street. Same thing when you get off the freeway. A left and a right and you're in the parking lot.

The front desk was always helpful. I needed to send some faxes for work and there was never a charge. Having a kitchenette was great, and being in a central location helped with the work I was doing. Next time I have to head to the area I'll make a reservation here for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sun Suites Metairie? Share your experiences!