“Decidedly Average!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Upton Grey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hoddington Arms is a beautifully restored country pub serving great food, wine and real ales in the picturesque rural village of Upton Grey, Hampshire. Our highly attentive team offer a warm welcome and can recommend a variety of locally brewed ales and wines to suit all tastes. Our talented chefs serve fantastically prepared, fresh locally sourced produce, all in the idyllic Hampshire countryside, and we welcome all members of your family - including children and dogs. We also have an attractive, large garden just perfect for relaxing and dining, or you can warm up in front of our fires.
“Decidedly Average!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Visted here for dinner with 12 others in November. The service was ridiculously slow - over an hour between courses. I appreciate they were busy, but that is ridiculous. Food was average at best, my main course was a Rib Eye steak (medium), it was literally pure fat and over cooked/chewy.
To top if off, they got the bill wrong by £100 !
Don't think i'd go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Fab Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Went for a meal here with 20 other work colleagues from various European countries. Lovely pub. Nice ambience. As we were a large group we had a table set up for us in the 'barn' at the end of the pub - which was a little bit cold and some sat with their coats and scarves on throughout the visit. The food was superb and beautifully presented. The staff were very efficient and polite and nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely return for a meal here. The only thing I wasn't keen on (which is just personal preference) was having my starter served on a bread board and my dessert on a piece of slate. The sound of a spoon scraping on slate is not good!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Disappointing birthday”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I booked this pub on the basis of some positive reviews on trip advisor and a review of the menu on their website. The reality was very disappointing.
The internal decor of the pub is welcoming and attractive.
We were shown to our table and I immediately noticed a substantially reduced menu from that on the website. If I had an inkling of the options I might not have chosen this pub.
Anyway all four of us found options that were appealing. My starter , the terrine was pleasant enough. The special duck egg and soldiers my daughter chose was fine too. The cauliflower soup however, and the poached egg on the mushrooms on toast were cold and had to be returned to the kitchen. The soup did come back hot but the egg - the same egg my son had started earlier came back cold and a mess. The quantity of caramelised onions on the toast detracted from the dish and was a very poor experience.
Again with the mains I was lucky , the pollock with lovely, however this was the minority position. The chicken stuffed with chorizo that my son chose was dry and the lentils served with it were stodgy and mushy. The ox checks and burger were just ok. The chips with the burger poor.
We did not stop for desserts , could not face more disappointment for my husbands birthday.

They did not charge us for the mushroom starter but there did not seem a good understanding of the food quality issues.

We will not return

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Roddy W, Managing Consultant at Hoddington Arms, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Susan W

Many thanks for taking the time to write a report on Tripadvisor. I am truly sorry that your recent 'birthday visit' to the Hodd did not live up to expectations. Your experiences do not sound good however as you yourself highlight, we generally receive very favourable reports. Nevertheless, you clearly did have a bad experience for which I am very sorry indeed.

We do have a new management team and a new Head Chef, and the team are just settling in which may have been a cause of the blip. I do hope you will give us the chance to make good, and perhaps you would like to ring me (07880 633336) if you would like to discuss further and so that we can perhaps make amends.

Once again, many apologies and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hodd in the future and demonstrate the fine food and service for which we are so well known, and which indeed won us 'Pub of the Year 2013' for Hampshire.

Roddy Watt
north hampshire
“fabulous food, wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Six of us visited the Hodd a few weeks ago and loved every minute of it, friendly courteous and very knowledgeable staff, we were given a warm welcome when we arrived.

The food for all six of us, without exception, was amazing.. we have 3 courses each, all beautifully presented, my 4th visit now this year and definitely on my radar for a return visit.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Roddy W, Managing Consultant at Hoddington Arms, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Keen Walker

Very many thanks indeed for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. It is always much appreciated, particularly when the review is so positive. The pub is under new management and there is a new Head Chef in the kitchen, so it is particularly encouraging to receive such reviews under these circumstances. Many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Newbury, United Kingdom
“As good as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

It has been a while since we visited the Hoddington Arms and previously we had always had great meals. It was therefore disappointing to see a number of adverse reports on Trip Advisor, so we went anyway with an open mind. We were wrong to take any notice of these reports. The food was still of a very high standard, the service was excellent and food cooked to perfection.

We went for Sunday lunch and I had the Smoked chicken and ham terrine starter, this was extremely succulent and tasty, it would have been better if it had been out of the fridge a little longer to improve the flavour, but this is a minor criticism. The cod on crab mash was great, the cod was a nice thick steak and cooked just right, not overcooked so that it all fell apart. My wife and I shared a sticky toffee pudding for desert this was extremely flavoursome and not good for a diet!!

So ignore the adverse reviews the Hodd is still one of the best pub restaurants in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Anthony A, very many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you were not put off by the one or two negative reviews and I know that your comments were very warmly received by the new management and Head Chef.