We met at this restaurant for Sunday lunch with friends, having heard good reports about it. It was, quite frankly, the worst Sunday lunch we have ever experienced and we were highly embarrassed that we had recommended the place to our friends.
1. We had booked a table for 4 people a month in advance. My husband and I arrived at the venue earlier than the booking time, and being disappointed with the table that had been reserved for us ( near the kitchen door and next to a large group) requested that we be moved to the dining room on the other side. We were told that all other tables were reserved, although they were not yet occupied and two tables for four people were not even set. The receptionist said she would see if she could try and move us but never reappeared to confirm nor deny our request. Sadly, this set the scene for what was to follow.
2. I ordered a pre lunch gin and tonic. This turned up in a large glass with all of the tonic already poured into it thus drowning the gin. Mixing a g and t is a personal taste and should always be served with the gin and bottle of tonic ready for the customer to mix to their taste. I asked for more gin to be added and on commenting on their serving method was told "that is how we do it here". In addition a classic g and t should be served with a slice of lemon, not lime.
3. On ordering our food, having had the menus for some time prior to placing our order, we were told, without a hint of apology, that there was no roast lamb available that day. This should have been pointed out to us as soon as we were given the menu. That way we could have chosen an alternative meal at our leisure instead of feeling pressured into choosing something else on the spot, whilst being made to feel a nuisance.
4. Food - the quality of the starters were average. However, things took a downward spiral when the main meals arrived. Roast beef was served without any roast potatoes, apparently having been forgotten and were provided separately on request. Roast pork was served with no crackling as stated on the menu, which disappointed our friend. Our friends duck breast was served with greens that were not cooked and with a large stale potato instead of the fondant potato described on the menu. My roast chicken was accompanied by inedible roast potatoes that appeared to have been old roast potatoes that had then been fried. This was completely off putting and as a result I didn't eat any of my main meal and my husband and friends ate little of theirs.
5. I went to the receptionist and relayed what was by now a catalogue of disasters and asked to see the manager. The receptionist then returned to our table herself without the manager and said that as we hadn't eaten all of our food the manger would give us a 25% reduction on the food bill. I said this was unacceptable and re-iterated my request for the manager himself to come and see me. When the manager himself appeared, he firstly annoyed us all by kneeling by our table. This is patronising and unprofessional. On hearing our complaints, the manager seemed rather unconcerned, offered to wipe all of the food from our bill and offered us complimentary puddings. None of our party felt inclined to risk a pudding so we cant comment on their quality, or otherwise.
6. Having said that we would like to finish our drinks, pay for them and leave, the manager walked off without making any attempt to clear our plates from the table. It took some time for the drinks bill to arrive - and when it did it was accompanied by four mint humbugs - which at least made us laugh! We waited quite some time and had to ask twice for the bill to be attended to. We asked for an explanation as to why it had taken so long to attend to the bill but this was never provided, with a different waiter returning to process the payment.
In addition to the above failings, the place itself is looking tired and in need of re-decoration. It such a shame as the property itself is beautiful and could be a very special place indeed with new décor, a different management team and professional chefs.
Needless to say we will not be returning, and neither will our friends. You can decide for yourself.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.