“Talented and attentive chef” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 171 N - Behind the USDA Building
Description: The Booker-Lewis Restaurant features world-class fare in a charming, Old South setting. The classic breakfasts and dynamic dinners are subtle creations served in a casual upscale atmosphere. The restaurant is locally known for its exquisite cuisine, intimate ambiance and attentive service. Meals may be taken in one of three dining rooms, or on the wrap-around porch of The Booker-Lewis House. Service is also available at John Beck’s Pub located next door in the Ward House.
Clayton, New York, United States
“Talented and attentive chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had a delicious dinner at the Booker-Lewis restaurant and loved the soup on special, Parmesan-asparagus. Everything was carefully prepared. The chef came to chat with all the customers, and was very interested to ensure the best food possible. Great food for all tastes, especially fresh foods!

Visited January 2013
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis Restaurant, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thanks for the great comments about our restaurant. Chef John loves meeting with our guests to insure they are satisfied with their meal!

Champaign, Illinois
“Fine Dining in a Small Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Set inside an old mansion with a wrap-around veranda for outdoor dining, this restaurant could compete with any of the fancy places in a big city. The menu is not too big with a focus on eclectic and well prepared food. I had the sirloin with mashed potatoes and it was cooked as ordered with a nice presentation. Very tasty indeed. The chef will cook a "surprise" dish for you based on your preferences for level of spice, vegetables, meat choice, etc. One of my colleagues tried this surprise and we all wished we had let the chef do it for us as well. This restaurant is a true gem.

Visited November 2012
BookerL, Manager at The Booker-Lewis Restaurant, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback! Chef John does make some incredible "surprises". We hope to have you as our guest again in the future.
Kansas
“Good for Leesville”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife suggested we try the Booker-Lewis Restaurant for breakfast this morning and I called to make reservations - more about that in a minute. When we arrived, the restaurant is located in an old Victorian stye home. The restaurant is nicely decorated, but we were seated in the room with the old fireplace and the wall paper was bubbling and pealing off of the wall and old hooks where wiring was mounted on the walls are very evident. We've eaten at other converted Victorian style bed and breakfast - restaurants before and this seems to be the norm for these types of establishments.

I'm not for sure why I even had to make reservations as there were only three other parties in the place. They don't have a kids menu, but the food is reasonably priced. The kids had biscuits and gravy and one had pancakes. My wife had the 1-2-3 breakfast. I had the "french toast". If you like normal french toast do not order the Book-Lewis french toast. I can only describe it as a smashed muffin. It is definitely not bread-like nor anything resembling or tasting like french toast. I only ate half of it. My wife's meal was good. Portion size was on the smaller size and there were no frills. I added a side of potatoes and they were el dente and not very good. Regular coffee was ok.

My wife and I are going to give it another chance for a dinner date night, but I am not setting my hopes too high. So far this has been the best place we ate in Leesville, but if it was located in a larger city with real competition I would not eat here again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is important to us. It helps us make adjustments to help give our guests a better experience. We are looking at creating a kid's menu this Spring. Reservations are not required, but we do encourage them mostly for our dinner shift. I do hope you choose to give us another try and an opportunity to meet the standards and level of service we strive to hold ourselves to.
Moultrie, Georgia
“Be Careful If You Request the "Date Night Special"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband & I went to the Booker Lewis House Restaurant last year on his birthday. We asked for the Thursday night "Date Night Special" promo that they were advertising on Facebook at the time, both when making the reservation and when being seated. If I recall correctly, the promo included an appetizer to share, drinks, entrees, and a dessert to share. We were seated and offered a choice of two entrees, all for $49, a pretty great deal. We selected the veal (note here: had I realized that this was the "Special" and not the "Date Night Special," I would have preferred not to order veal, but it sounded more appetizing that the other choice. What it ended up being was pretty much the most expensive thing on the menu, and we got charged full price).

The stuffed mushroom appetizer was out-of-this-world amazing. The veal was okay, and we really liked the potatoes. We ordered creme brulee for dessert, and it was creamy and terrific. The shocker arrived right along with the bill. It was right at $85, so my husband just sent a $100 bill and told the guy to keep the change as a tip. My husband was stunned at the cost, but he doesn't like to speak up and gets embarrassed easily. When we got outside and I questioned him about the total, he told me. I reminded him that the date night special was $49, and he said that he didn't want to debate about the check. :-(

I emailed the owner afterward, and he apologized for the wait staff's lack of knowledge about the special (we had a waiter along with a girl he was training serving our table). He told me to print out the email and bring it in for a free round of drinks and appetizer, but... (see the part about my husband being easily embarrassed. LOL. Plus, we don't drink alcohol, and the 'free' appetizer would have hardly compensated the extra 40 bucks we were out).

So, it was a disappointing experience due to the situation; and my husband has refused to go back, even though the food was good just because it was so expensive.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harker Heights, Texas
“Best restaurant in Leesville hands-down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Booker-Lewis is by far the nicest restaurant in Leesville. The food is excellent, service is great and the ambience has great character. I've never stayed at the bed and breakfast but I've heard good things.

Visited March 2012
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis Restaurant, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Amanda - Thanks for the great review! It's always good to hear from guests how we're doing!