“Not even worth the cheep cost!” 1 of 5 stars

Inn on the Bayou
1101 W. Prien Lake Rd., Lake Charles, LA 70601 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #23 of 28 hotels in Lake Charles
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Not even worth the cheep cost!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our power went out one evening from a storm. I had friends that had stayed here, so, I thought, it would be okay for one night, or, at least we would have power. That was the only good thing I can say, it had power. The night clerk was friendly but not very helpful, didn't know much. My grand daughter was staying with me and we had to take the dogs. I figured the room that pets were allowed would not be in the best shape. I would just have to make the best out of it. I could not leave them at home alone, in the heat, knowing the power would not be on until the next day as this night was 6/6/13. The room was plain, no coffee in the room, no hair dryer not even a picture on the wall. I could not smell any thing "dog" in the room, it was too moldy. I woke with a sore throat. The pool dirty not from just leaves but green mold too. The hotel clerk, that next morning, very hateful speaking when I asked if the pool was okay for my granddaughter to swim in or was it pool cleaning day. I have stayed in a lot of hotels of all cost, across this country and only found one in 35 years that was a worst stay than this. My advise, "pay extra and stay some place else". Not on I-10, they are in a bad neighborhood, but on I-210. Any of them are much better than Inn on the Bayou!

Room Tip: Any where, but here, on I-210. Stay away from I-10, very bad neighborhood.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there with my 12 year old son not the first time we have stayed there October 2012 and December 2012 in Oct it was a wonderful relaxing time! In Dec 2012 you can tell the weekend supervisor is gone! We found weed in the dresser drawers, there was a used condom under the bed and a sack of weed between the mattress and box spring! I ask the housekeeper on Saturday why the change since last time and was told the supervisor that was there that made sure things were done and helped the older housekeepers check those places was gone so I won't be going back! Scary I could have become a felon with all that weed in that room!

• Stayed December 2012
Marksville, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our softball team and parents stayed here for the Fastpitch 56 State Championship games on April 26 and 27. We really enjoyed our stay! The girls got to do some fishing right outside the motel, and they had a blast. Nice restaurant next door. There was a cool breeze blowing in the large patio area between the restaurant and the lake. It was very relaxing, even with the traffic sounds nearby (was not bad at all). The rooms were large enough, the beds were comfortable, and it was a plus to have a mini-fridge and microwave in the rooms. A/C worked very well. Complimentary coffee in the lobby was good, along with a free morning paper. My only recommendation is for the motel to have fluffier pillows. I would definitely recommend this motel to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012 via mobile

Our room was paid by local company for business or we would have left. This is a drive up to your door motel. The room was clean but old bedding, and outdated bathroom. Bed was hard as a rock and we heard traffic all night long. Motel is beside bridge on I-210 and you hear thundering sound when vehicles pass over bridge. The only modern thing is a flat screen TV. Newer hotels right next to this motel. My advice is to stay in those.

• Stayed January 2012
Poway, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

This was a nightmare experience for myself and daughter. We started in the third floor room and the bed smelled and I think the pillow might have been used by someone else (a smoker). I believe I picked up bedbugs here. A few days later I had the telltale bites on my back. We moved downstairs (no extra charge) to a cleaner room. At 3am we were awoken by someone banging on our door. At this point I was itching and waiting to have my daughter wake up so I could shower and leave. At six am a diesel truck was unloading supplies right outside our door and kept running for 15 minutes. We showered and spoke to the person in charge and left by 6:30am. I cannot get my money back or even get a lower rate from the manager. The sad part is that the two gentlemen at the desk were very kind and almost embarrassed to be working at such a place. I think the second floor must be rented out to monthly migrants since people were outside all night. We did not feel safe.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Kolin, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Our family has stayed here during the past 3 years during the Contraband Days which is the last week in April and the first week in May . The rooms have always been clean and the staff has always been very helpful and nice to out family. They have room to park your boat trailer if need be,And you are able to dock at the hotel. Also you are close to marinas as well the Casino and stores and eating places.
This is the place to be during ContraBand Days festival especially if you have a boat .

Myers Family
Kolin La.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Elkins, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Having a conference next door, I stayed at the Inn on the Bayou as it was the less expensive overflow hotel. It's an older style motel, long and plain looking with outside corridors, mired in a sea of concrete, but my room had been recently remodeled: nice carpet, decent furniture, tasteful decor. Because of the way the motel sits, few rooms will have any kind of bayou view, not that you really want one as it is tucked in between a busy street and I-210, meaning there's always a lot of traffic going by (though I heard no traffic noise in the room). My room had a microwave and a fridge, but no coffee pot. Wireless internet worked well. Room was reasonably clean, but not spotless. Towels were incredibly cheap and flimsy; it was hard to get dry with one and I'm a small person.

I have no major complaints, but if I were in the area again, I would choose a more modern property.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Inn on the Bayou? Share your experiences!