“Won Big and Great Service!” 5 of 5 stars

L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   777 Avenue L'Auberge, Lake Charles, LA 70601   |
Ranked #9 of 29 hotels in Lake Charles
Houston
“Won Big and Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

What an amazing place! I didn’t know Louisiana had a place like L’Auberge to visit…sorry, not being critical of my neighbor state.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I visited L’Auberge Monday and had a wonderful time. Lost a few dollars, but they don’t build those things because people win.

The service was great and the gaming floor was like being in Vegas. I cannot stop thinking about my dinner at Snake River Grill, finer than most restaurants in Houston.

No more Vegas. Hours and hours in an airport to Vegas or a two hour drive to L’Auberge du Lac…thanks!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

We checked in for a one night stay, a mad dash gambling trip to test out Lake Charles as a mini-Vegas. Thanks to the management at the hotel, our trip was cut short. During a break from the casino, my fiance happened to notice two letters on the table in the room. One of those letters was the standard "We're glad you're here" from property management. The second letter was far more ominous (see pictures attached to this review).

Highlights:
- "This letter is to inform you that during your stay with us, L' Auberge is...conducting electrical repairs...power outage tonight"

- "starting at 12:30am...expected to last between four and five hours"

- "Should you need them; flashlights can be found inside or attached to your in-room safe"

You can imagine our shock. We checked in, with a live human. I would have expected at the least, some verbal warning that we were paying for a room that would shortly turn into something between a coffin and a rustic hut. The letter lacked anything to draw our attention as well. It is entirely possible that we wouldn't have known about the power outage until it actually occurred.

That's really ideal. Ply me with booze, let me gamble til I drop and then lock me in a light-less room where even a simple night time shower features odds of success matching an inside bet on the roulette wheel.

I'd honestly prefer to sleep in my car given the choice. It has lighting, an excellent selection of music and I don't run the risk of injuring myself in the dark. Oh and it's not going to charge me for doing so. Yes, the hotel intended to charge its guests for the privilege of staying in a room that lacks one of the most basic components of the civilized world, power. I suppose I should be grateful they didn't cut off the water, or unleash a swarm of malaria infested mosquitoes for amusement.

Let's recap:
1) My hotel room won't have any power.
2) No one told me about this as I checked in.
3) I was notified with a letter on a desk in the corner.
4) They charged for the room.

This place fails the lowest standard of accommodations, notifying the guests of problems. They should have notified everyone up front. And they probably should have comped the rooms of all involved or shuttered the hotel portion for the duration of the repairs. But maybe it's too much to expect a business to behave responsibly, so I'd settle for a notification.

We checked out and went back to Houston. I was polite, resisting the urge to bite off the ear of the clerk or urinate on the carpet to show my displeasure. She didn't apologize or in any way indicate concern that our trip had been disrupted. For all she knew, we were about to troll the streets of Lake Charles, looking for lodging. She didn't care. And by stroke of luck, our position in line while checking out resulted in us being helped by the front desk manager, arguably the one person in the lobby who should have a high level of professionalism.

The Casino
Before our surprise, we did get a chance to gamble. I love to gamble. I take money I can lose and I don't stress if it happens. This means I tend to have fun everywhere I go. This casino is not fun. The slot selection is minimal and many of the machines are damaged.

The table layout is cramped in certain sections. The table minimums at 11am on a Sunday in November were $25 / $50. There were two blackjack tables with a $15 minimum. Something to keep in mind if you're a lower limit gambler.

The decor is nice, but the ventilation is sub par. I'm not particularly sensitive to cigarette smoke and I don't mind people smoking while they drink / gamble. But this place feels like a rural bar, with heavy smoke banks and a stale, displeasing smell. It's never happened to me before, but after gambling for a few hours my eyes were burning and my nose was congested.

Summary
Yes, you can gamble. It has most of the games you'd expect to find. But it's not a great time. And think twice before staying here. They just might lock you in your room without power. Or cut off the water. Or unleash a tiger in the hallway. Point is, the standard of behavior you'd apply for the service industry elsewhere, doesn't apply here. I'd recommend you gather five of your friends and play craps in an alley in your hometown, perhaps behind a crack-house. It'll be more predictable and more fun.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Elegant rooms, clean, upscale, great staff, fun casino

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Living in New Orleans I've been able to visit most of the Gulf Coast casinos. Other than Harrah's New Orleans this hotel casino is comparable to those along the coast. I stayed for two nights (W-Th) for a conference. The facilities offered all of the amenities to entertain clients and potential clients -- from the wild 80s themed band at Jack Daniels' Grille (interestingly, seems like an 80s soundtrack played throughout the casino/hotel which was actually cool in a retro sort of way) to the more upscale steakhouse. The casino had high minimums ($25 BJ, $15 Roulette) but I did win $200 in twenty minutes. My wife enjoyed the spa. We didn't have a chance to golf.

The swimming pool with swim up bar, cabanas and lazy river look like they have lots of potential during the summer months. The lazy river is exactly that -- a slow moving "river" that travels the perimeter of the pool area, complete with inner-tubes to drift away. The cabanas where enticing, each with its own refrigerator and television. Overall I'll probably come back, possibly with the kids. If you're traveling from Texas to or past New Orleans and have time on your hands this would be a great place to break up the trip for a night or two.

Pros: Very friendly staff, great entertainment, good layout (casino, conference center and swimming pools), large rooms.

Cons: Sorry Lake Charles, but this is kind of in the middle of nowhere, high minimum tables, slightly dated rooms, check in confusing.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I was not impressed at all. We had a non smoking room that smelled of smoke. The food is very expensive. I did not see anyone winning anything in the casino. I was told the room would be complimentary but was charged when I arrived. They do not remember saying this but it was suppose to be recorded. Whatever! Be Aware!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

We just spent one night but the place is just gorgeous! The service is excellent--all employees are very warm, friendly and helpful as well as welcoming. The rooms are very nice -bathrooms a little small for two people at one time. Views outside the pool area are awesome--would like to come back in warmer weather so we could have enjoyed them. The only disappointing thing is the gambling--we tend to play table games and the minimums are set at $10 and $15 and we were there on a slow weeknight. If you are coming here for gambling, not sure you will leave with any winnings but if you are coming for a nice get away, it's great. Beds are plush and comfortable. Can't complain about anything but the high bucks in the casino area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

What a surprise this first-class establishment was! We went on an overnight respite and have already planned our next stay. The guest rooms look just as pictured on the website ---bathrooms are Vegas style! Actually, the pool area is what gives this resort a "Baby Las Vegas" feel. The swim-up bar, bevy of mattress loungers, outdoor bars/restaurants, three whirlpools, family pool area and lazy river are enough of a reason to go! The adult-only pool is a MAJOR plus! The spa/salon facility looked most professional.

There are several restaurants (a coulpe are very romantic, yet pricey), a coffee shop (Starbucks style) and a huge dessert store for everyone's sweet tooth. Also, located within a mile or two of the resort are many other restaurants you could get take-out from; go see a movie at the cinema in nearby shopping mall, etc. The BEST thing I liked was NO SMELL OF SMOKE in the guest rooms or restaurants--only on the casino floor.

Not sure how alluring this property would be if you're not a gambler during the fall/winter seasons. Again, it's perfect for sun and lounging poolside!!! We couldn't believe this was Lake Charles!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles? Share your experiences!