“Beautiful, comfy, pricey, tight slots” 3 of 5 stars

L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   777 Avenue L'Auberge, Lake Charles, LA 70601   |
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Lake Charles
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Beautiful, comfy, pricey, tight slots”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I've stayed at many large and small casino resorts, from Las Vegas to the Indian reservations of New Mexico. I feel this experience equips me to write a candid and fair review.

My husband and I stayed at L'Auberge in Lake Charles on August 23, 2014. We were favorably impressed by the beauty of the property upon arrival, as well as by the excellent customer service provided by the valet, bellman and front desk person. Everyone was cordial and made us feel like VIPs.

Our king smoking room was beautifully appointed, with a stunning view of the pool and beach area, plus the lake. The sunset over the water that evening gave us a spectacular show as we sipped cocktails in our room. The bed was very comfortable, with what felt like a memory foam topper. There definitely was no mattress sag on either side of the bed.

To the side of the bed was a settee, which was decorative but lacked real functionality. It wasn't comfortable to sit on, and it was situated in an alcove from which you couldn't view the TV. Its best purpose seemed to be to set clothing on.

Also, that side of the bed had no nightstand, which struck us as odd. My husband wound up dragging over the small side table placed next to the armchair near the window so he had a place to put his water glass, cell phone and glasses.

The bathroom was nicely appointed, with a large shower and no tub. However, I noticed some debris including a previous guest's toothpick (yuck) lying in a grout line where the floor meets the wall. It's certainly not the type of thing you expect to see in a swanky resort like L'Auberge.

Our main complaint about the room concerned the paper-thin walls. In a casino hotel, we always expect to hear rowdy guests carousing in the hallway at three in the morning, but at L'Auberge we could hear our next-door neighbors simply talking inside their own room. That was a little disconcerting. And it meant the crying baby four doors down was plainly heard in our room -- at three in the morning (poor baby!).

We discovered the 24-hour cafe brews the perfect cup of coffee, which was a delightful find. Beyond the cafe, we attempted to eat at the Jack Daniels bar and grill...but no one would wait on us. The hostess told us we could seat ourselves outside, so we headed outdoors and found all the tables stacked with dirty dishes. We located a tall table near the bar, so we sat there, and waited. And waited. And waited. But no one 'waited' on us. In fact, servers walked right by us and refused to make eye contact despite our attempts to flag them down. After about 10 minutes, we got up and left.

Eventually we made our way to the gaming floor. Now, like I said, we have a lot of experience gambling at a variety of casinos. I can honestly report the slots and video poker at L'Auberge are far and away the tightest we've ever encountered. You know, when I put $20 into a slot machine I expect to lose it all, but I anticipate it will take some time to do so. I lose a little, then win a little, and an hour or so later I'm out of money. At L'Auberge, my husband and I fed about $60 total into the slots and only "won" a total of $5.19. That is ridiculous.

I also played blackjack, and I can't blame the casino for my bad luck there! I will say the minimum bet available was $15, even in the middle of the afternoon. On the plus side, L'Auberge offers several baccarat tables, which was a treat to see.

Our most enjoyable gaming experience at L'Auberge came at "The Middle" bar in the center of the casino, where we drank cocktails and played video poker. Those machines seemed perhaps a little looser. Plus, the ambiance was great, and the bartenders were very nice.

In terms of the other resort amenities, the pool looked great but we never got to experience it because it was packed full. Not the resort's fault; a lot of families were taking a final pre-school vacation the weekend we were there. If we go back, we look forward to lying around the lazy river and reading books. The little beach feature looked nice, too, but we didn't go down to experience it.

One thing I really found disappointing at L'Auberge is the lack of a lounge. Whenever I stay at casino resorts, one of my favorite activities is sipping a Cosmo in the casino lounge, listening to the piano player and people-watching. L'Auberge has no such venue, and it's a real disappointment.

Will we go back to L'Auberge? We discussed that very question during our drive home. We probably will, if we score a good deal or something. But honestly, the rooms are grossly overpriced in our opinion, and we certainly will never gamble in their casino again. I mean, I don't mind parting with my money while gambling, but I expect to win often enough to make the experience enjoyable. L'Auberge fell far short, in this respect.

Bottom line: If you love luxury and are willing to pay for it, then check out L'Auberge. On the other hand, if you aren't so concerned about the luxuriousness of your room and would rather enjoy a fun gaming experience, then there are other options you might like better in Lake Charles.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view, which will give you a spectacular view of the sunset!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Very clean, stylish room with comfortable bed. The pool and lazy river was a great plus. We didn't have a bad meal. I strongly suggest Jack Daniels restaurant. The buffet is a little pricey but again great food. I am not a big gambler but the casino was very pretty. I found a great rate. So, this was worth every penny! I saw an alligator on the golf course!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

its a beautiful casino! but, your definately paying for it. comps are scarce.slot machines are tight as hell. table games re too expensive! asia restaurant is excellent.rooms are nice.customer service needs help. noone greets you!

• Stayed August 2014
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Everyone we encountered was friendly/courteous. Pool is nice & was the reason we picked this casino but it rained everyday & it was closed all the time (no fault of theirs). Even had a cabana but a waste. Nice property, nice room, nice casino. Food was not great so we ate offsite the last couple days. I'd go back.

Room Tip: away from elevators
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The resort is very nice, we had a good view from our room, they have a good buffet for 25 $, we really enjoyed the casino, especially the roulette :) too bad the pool is closed by 6pm, and does not open till 10, that is not cool, because it is a very beautiful pool with a niceee "lazy river"

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I took my daughter for her 25th birthday and to watch her college football team which was playing there that weekend. A friend joined us from out of state so we made it a girl's weekend getaway. It's a beautiful hotel with many amenities. Because it was fall, we didn't get to enjoy the attractive pool area. They have a nice golf course that is also a popular guy's getaway weekend location. While the hotel provided several eating options, there were many eating and shopping places located very close to the hotel. They have an amazing buffet for brunch! Although it is a bit pricey, you definitely get your money's worth-they have unlimited mimosas on the weekend. Even if you don't stay at the hotel, it's worth a visit for the brunch; their casino atmosphere is also good. Lake Charles also had many events going on as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

L'Auberge is a massive resort, so it was a bit intimidating at first trying to figure out where everything was... but once I got the lay of the land, I very much enjoyed it. They have nice retail stores and an absolutely wonderful pool area, complete with a winding river you can meander down in an innertube. The only downside was that the room walls were made of paper (it seemed). But that I mean I could hear everything - and I do mean everything! - that was going on in the room next to me. Not fun. But otherwise, very pleased.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Been to L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles? Share your experiences!