“Please don't let an extraordinary thing become ordinary!!” 3 of 5 stars

L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   777 Avenue L'Auberge, Lake Charles, LA 70601   |
Ranked #9 of 29 hotels in Lake Charles
louisiana
“Please don't let an extraordinary thing become ordinary!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

First let me say that I LOVE the L'Auberge... I'm a little sad that they have taken away the little "extra perks" in my stay. The nice fluffy robes & slippers waiting in the room for me, great tasteing coffee waiting to be made.... Maybe you've spoiled me before but I don't want to have to call for these things.. And please replace the horrible coffee you've switched to... It makes my stay no better than a Ramada Inn!!!.. Those little extra things matter!! Besides that... the restaurants, pool area, shops & staff are fantastic!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
LAubergeduLacResort, Social Media Specialist at L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you for your feedback! We want you to know that the fluffy robe and slippers are available to you any time with a simple call or mention to the front desk. We no longer leave them in every room in order to lessen unnecessary laundering. I received word yesterday that the coffee issue is on the list of priorities.

We are thrilled you are happy with the rest of our amenities and look forward to your return!

Zoe

636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

The rooms are not good. Noisy! All amenities are shorted. Furniture is dirty, ads say they have robes, they don't, tv was falling apart, shower curtain was laying on floor when I got in and had to hang it myself. The manager promised me by email a high floor room facing pool, I got a low floor facing the garage.
The food in the buffet is still good but getting pricier.
The casino was the tightest it has ever been. They put in new machines that play well when first installed but within a few weeks they don't pay out anymore. There were many popular machines that used to always be crowded. Now no one sits at them anymore. I will not be back. Drink service was lousy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Our goal is to exceed your expectations each time you are our guest and it is obvious we fell short. We are working to address the noise issues and hope to have a room renovation project in Q4 of this year. We do offer the robes upon request, simply let the front desk know upon check in or call housekeeping. We have found that leaving them in the room resulted in unnecessary laundering as some guests don’t use them. We certainly understand that food is a big part of the overall experience we provide here at L’Auberge. We strive to provide a food product that is only of the freshest, highest quality and always pleasing to the palette. We certainly understand untimely drink service can be frustrating and we apologize this happened.

Rest assured we have shared your feedback with casino and hotel management to ensure they have the opportunity to review all of your feedback and address it accordingly with their team. Additionally, we are most grateful you took the time to share your thoughts with us. You have given us a chance to address some obvious issues and for that we are very thankful.
With regards to the slot machines, we really hope your luck turns around soon!

We hope to see you back soon!
Zoe
stouffville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed during the Christmas holidays. Beautiful property. Overly priced due to the casino being there, and sometimes difficult to book into, if you are not in their High Rollers Club. We did not use the restaurants as we have family living nearby. Great beds, lovely bathrooms. Ask for a poolview room, as it is so pretty to look out onto. We did not use the pool due to the season, however my parents go to Lake Charles quite often. They have used the pool numerous times (with the grandchildren). It has areas specifically for the children, but also an adult only pool area as well. They have cabanas that can be rented for the day. I would love to see the property in the summer time. We did have drinks and appetizers at the poolside bar, while waiting for family to arrive. The alligator bites were awesome. The valet parking is the most convenient, otherwise you walk a great distance to your car. Mind you, it is costly. They have security at the elevator bays, and you MUST show your room card to use the elevators. That makes you feel quite secure, as the casino entrance is right by the elevators. The lobby was decorated nicely for Christmas. When we checked in, my parents wanted their room changed, and within minutes they were in a new room. (The walk to the first room, was too far from the elevators for my father). The hallways were clean. The only complaint was that you had to get to the elevators through a hallway that always reeked of cigarette smoke due to the casino. Casino doors are never closed, so the smoke smell lingers in the main hall, especially in the evenings, when the casino is much busier. The staff were pleasant and courtieous. We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: As for a poolview room, very pretty view
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Spent one night at the L'Auberge - it's located in Lake Charles right off Interstate 210 that has direct connections to I-10, so is quite easy to get to. The hotel room has nice amenities, and we had a great view of the water from our room. We dined in the 24-hour Le Cafe for dinner and breakfast, where the food and service were good. We were disappointed in the casino - preferring slot play over table play, most of the slot machines are of the older, non-interactive, non-cascading reel types (i.e., you push the spin button, you get a result, and the game is over). There were also a number of slot machines out of service - more than we've seen in our many trips to Vegas casinos or to other casinos in Louisiana or Missouri. In fact, my first slot machine malfunctioned when I tried to end my session and print out my cash receipt - it displayed an error code that required an attendant to provide the amount remaining in my account in cash. The attendant had a fanny pack packed with cash for such purposes, so perhaps the problem I experienced is not uncommon at that casino. We were also disappointed in the sign-up for the players card - one customer representative signing up new members resulted in a rather lengthy wait in a line of 5-7 customers. Finally, of all of the casinos that we've visited in the past 10 years or so, this one had the tightest slot play - very infrequent "wins" or payouts.

While we didn't play any of the tables, the casino does have a goodly number of tables available, and most were open and being used by customers throughout the day and evening. Like some other reviewers have commented, we were surprised that some of the tables - blackjack, stud poker, etc. - had $50 minimum bets, a level that we seldom see at the MGM properties in Vegas or in other casinos.

The swimming pool area, including a lengthy "river" float area, was a popular place (we didn't use that portion of the property).

In sum, we liked the hotel, but were disappointed in the casino.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
LAubergeduLacResort, Social Media at L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Good day!

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and dining experiences. We will certainly look into the mychoice lines, as we strive to staff accordingly. Thanks so much for bringing that to our attention.

As for the machines, we try to keep our 1600 machines as diverse as possible to reach our entire market and welcome your suggestions. If you are looking for a particular machine, we would love to hear about it. I loved the fannypack comment and we are hoping a better name comes out for those soon. We use those in an effort to expedite quicker service.
Although different than properties in Vegas, our table minimums are based on our particular customer demand.

We hope on your next stay you can give the lazy river a try as well!
Thanks again for your feedback!

Fort Polk, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Made the mistake of making a reservation via phone for a one-night stay.

Arrived at the hotel, with confirmation number given over phone. No reservation found. Ended up accepting the same room at a marginally higher rate (~10-15$/night more).

Two weeks later, notice hotel charge from both L'Auberge and a Pinnacle Hotels sister property, Lumiere (in St. Louis, Missouri). Reservation by phone (with employee of L'Auberge, in fact!) was put in for their hotel in St. Louis, and therefore I got charged for a no-show at a hotel 700 miles away.

Spent 45 minutes being bounced via telephone between departments at L'Auberge and Lumiere, where everyone but the last person (Thanks, James, at Lumiere!) did not understand the concept of 'sister property' and 'was staying the night at a different hotel in your own brand 700 miles away'.

Learned my lesson.

DeQuincy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We were very disappointed. We have stayed at LauBerge before many times and it has really gone downhill. First of all the room ammenities are no longer the same. In the past we have gotten nice fluffy robes, starbucks coffee, and the water was free. Now there are no longer the robes, the water is $3.00 a bottle and they have cheap coffee in the rooms. Also I've stayed in cheaper hotels that we actually nicer with free internet and not to mention alot quieter. Also the carpet in the rooms needs to be shampooed. It is really dirty. From what I saw the workers (housekeeping) were the noisiest of all. For 150.00 a night this was very disappointing. Don't think I will stay there again unless i hear that things have gotten better. I enjoyed staying at LauBerge in the past.

Room Tip: Yes some rooms are noiser than others.
Good day!

We have to agree with you about some of the carpets needing a shampoo. In fact, a huge re-vamp is on schedule for Q4. With such high occupancy and quick turnover, we look forward to some deep cleaning efforts and replacements. These efforts will include assessing the vent/noise problem that exist in a few of the rooms. Please do not hesitate to ask for a robe and slippers. We recently changed this policy in an effort to reduce wasted washings.

We apologize we did not exceed your expectations and hope you will visit again so we can prove our above written intentions.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011 via mobile

This property was once very nice, but rooms have gotten run down and the service reflects indifference. They are pricey and nickel and dime for Internet service, which seems to have become customary in "nicer" hotels. Stains on the chairs and curtains are acceptable, I guess. To top it off, they informed me when I checked in they will bill my CC for s deposit, then refund it in fee days. In other words, an arbitrary interest free loan? I resent such treatment and will not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
Hi!

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry we did not exceed your expectations.
We strive to be second to none. We are making renovation plans for Q4 and hope you return to enjoy them. We will work on the communication of the deposit process. Our deposit is the same standard procedure other properties follow and it sounds like the explanation may have been fuzzy.

We hope you will indeed consider us again in the future.
Thanks again,

Zoe Grace

Been to L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles? Share your experiences!