“Just an ok casino” 2 of 5 stars

Sugar Land, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Just an ok casino”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Isle was one of the first casinos to open in Lake Charles; still housed in the original ships that are now docked but had to go out on the water according to original gambling laws. Now, it's pretty run down, poor food and not a great place to visit.

Visited December 2012

Houston, Texas
“It serves it's purpose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is my second trip to the Isle casino, the hubby plays poker and this is the closest casino to Houston (he comes a few times a year). We arrived a bit early and were allowed to check in. The front desk staff was polite and efficient as usual.

Our room was on the 6th floor facing the front of the casino...yay! We were previously on the backside of the hotel and looking at the boat is a drab. The room was clean and odorless (the hallway or a prior visit to the casino would make you believe otherwise). The updating of decor is noticeable and appreciated. Im not much of a gambler, so the room is where I spend most of my time. There weren't a lot of channels to choose from, but there are quality channels to choose from. (Bring netflix with you for added options)

The casino...is just a casino. It is simple and smells of smoke, if you are looking for a lively environment with a multitude of people, this is not your place. If you are looking for a place to simply gamble, no frills or thrills, this is it!

I stayed away from Calypso (the buffet). I found on our previous visit, the complimentary breakfast was low budget, everything seemed to be of poor quality. Im a pretty simple person and I think breakfast is hard to mess up, but they surely did it, so I did not take any chances this time around. I did eat at the asian inspired restaurant upstairs. Playing it safe, the chicken strip basket was good. The 12 drumettes w/o fries for $10 was a bit overpriced, but the hubby will go for anything when gambling. The cashier Jocelyn was very dry and appeared unhappy. You cant loose at Steamboat Bills, authentic cajun food, across the bridge.

On our last night we observed a staff member dragging a small fridge down the hall. We jokingly mentioned they were holding out on us, for there is an obvious void in the dresser/ tv console. She stated we needed to call the front desk to request a fridge at $15 a night...What! Are you serious? We hysterically laughed all the way to our room after watching her drag this fridge down the hall then pick it up and walk it into a room, all while a male employee stood watching her (they apparently couldn't find a dolly).

We are a simple couple, always on a budget and we enjoyed ourselves. This was a Thanksgiving getaway we planned on short notice. The hubby had a chance to gamble as I relaxed and laid around the room without any disturbances. Im pretty sure we will be back.

Visited November 2012
san antonio, texas
82 attraction reviews
“It's a casino”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very average, as cainos go. Not nearly as nice as nearby L'Auberge or Coushouta, but it's a casino. And because it doesn't ooze sex appeal, some believe it producers better odds for the bettors, and that winning is easier here. The place is not filthy, but it doesn't feel real clean.

Visited April 2012
Red Rock, Texas
“love this casino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed at several casino's in Lake charles by far Island of capri is the best casino I have never had a problem with any of my comp's have always been able to get a room. The buffett is awsome. I really love my waiter leroy. I always ask for him. He has always treated me like I am his only customer. (way to go) I will be staying this weekend. I go there once a month as I said I never have a problem getting a room. make sure to use all your free play comp's and if you time it right you can catch some of there free give aways make sure to sign up at the front customer service area.

Visited September 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Good place to stop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stopped here on our way home from a trip to MS & LA. It isn't that far from Houston so it is a great place to run to on a long weekend or just for the day. The casino has several levels of slot fun which means that anytime we've been there it hasn't been terribly crowded. The waitstaff is friendly but don't come around very often. Fortunately there is self-serve soft drinks and coffee. I wish the staff at the front area of the casino was more consistent - either card people consistently or don't. It's a little weird to come in and out and have one person out of three card me. Anyway, some machines seemed "looser" than others, but you're gambling at a for-profit facility. What do you expect.
The casino is dark and very smoky and just feels old. I could only handle about three hours in there before my eyes hurt (from the smoke and the bright screens of the machines).
Did not stop in for food. Bathrooms are clean but old.

Visited October 2012