“Great Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Lake Charles
Jacksonville
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a top level hotel and facility. I partciularry want to give kudos to Rodney at the night, check-in desk. The man is outstanding. Great information, polite, and a very pleasant fellow who really seems to kmnow his job.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel to be nicely situated for easy access to both area casinos, and the downtown Lake Charles area. We received their last available room, which made me nervous. Usually the last rooms to be assaigned have issues or are the worst in the hotel. If this was their "worst" room, I am impressed.

The room was spacious and clean with a seperate seating area, desk, and wet bar.

The highlight of our stay was the front desk staff. They were extremely friendly and took care of us like we were family.

• Stayed June 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

From the front desk folks at check in and check out to the cleaning staff everyone was friendly and very helpful. I had to call for a late check in because of traffic from out of state and i was able to slow down and enjoy the ride knowing i was guaranteed my room. Went to a show at a local Casino and had a blast just knowing i did not have to leave early to keep my room. At the end of my day, when i finally made it to the hotel, it was so nice walking in and they even called me by name and led me to my cool, comfortable room. The room was perfect, the bed was amazing, the room was quite of course most people had probably been in bed for a few hours, and the accomidations were just exactly what i needed. Not fancy, but clean, cool and comfortable beats "fancy" anytime. I will be returning to this area, i will stay at this hotel, EVERYTIME.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Crestview, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

When I arrived at the Lake Charles Holiday Inn I was greeted by three charming front desk receptionists with warm smiles and a pleasant, how-can-I-help attitude. The check-in was smooth and quick. The offered cold drink had hardly been touched when I was checked-in and on my way to the room. The room was clean and comfortable. After settling in I went downstairs to the lounge. The server was pleasant and the beverage was excellent. When I mentioned that I was in town for only one night and was interested in trying some local cuisine she offered me a travel guide and pointed out a couple of nearby restaurants. I will save my comments on the restaurant for another time. When I returned to the Holiday Inn I stopped by the lounge and thanked the server mentioning that one of her suggestions was a great choice. The check-out was easy and the bill was as offered when I made the reservation. Yes, I will stay here again and do recommend this property.

Room Tip: I chose this hotel initially because it is a smoke-free facility. The hotel is located a good dista...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed there last weekend and were disappointed.
Pros: The front desk staff were very nice.
The hotel had an attractive lobby/bar/restaurant area

Cons: Had to wait a while to check in. At first there was only one working the front desk but another person came to help. They were very nice and efficient. This alone didn't cause the lower rating but coupled with the next things it all added up.

When we got to our room, the inside door lock was flipped sideways so the door was propped open. I don't like the thought that somebody (not hotel staff) could have been in there before we arrived.

The room smelled really bad. I woud have asked to change but my husband assumed all the rooms were the same way so we dealt with it. We cranked the a/c to help cut the smell and left. When we returned it was slightly better but not much.

The desk chair had arms that were all ripped up.

We like to stay at Holiday Inns (usually Express) as stop overs during our driving trips because they usually have a consistent quality. I don't expect luxury at a Holiday Inn, but I do expect a certain standard that this hotel was lacking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles South, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Shamrock1234,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is well equipped with amenities. The restaurant provided some good food at a fair price. Try the mini burgers with pepper jack cheese. Several booths have their own flat screen tv's. The bar service was attentive and friendly. As others mentioned - the bar closes promptly at 10 pm. The rooms have wifi, coffee makers, microwave, and refrigerators. They are spacious and the beds are comfortable. Pillows are on the small side so I needed all 4 to equal my 2 at home. Toieltries aren't the best so bring your favorites or make do with their discount brand. Overall, I'd stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This property is clean, front desk and management is courteous and efficient. The fitness center is nice. The hotel falls short of great in one way. The bar closes at 10 p.m. and the pool doesnt open until 9 a.m. During our stay there were 10+ people at the bar at 10 p.m. But they closed on time on the dot. We wanted to take a quick swim before hitting the road in the morning but it was closed. So close to be an outstanding stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles South? Share your experiences!