“Nice but hard on the business traveler” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10% on your room!
Ranked #19 of 45 hotels in Lafayette
Ponchatoula
“Nice but hard on the business traveler”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I am staying for the first time, paid by my company. Nice clean rooms and good service, but the food and drink prices are a killer for the normal business traveler. I get per diem and it does not cover more than one or not even one meal. I nearly had a heart attack when told the breakfast buffett was $ 13.95, dinners start at $ 20.00 or more, burgers at $ 8.00 with no fries etc. No managers social, though I saw one advertised on the web, that is common at any mid range, and certainly upper range hotel. No continental breakfast but I saw that online as well. I will have to have my future stays at Holiday Inn, or Drury where I used to stay. Its just too high priced for food etc, rooms are nice and reasonably priced.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
jthackston, General Manager at Hilton Lafayette, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Lafayette. I appreciate the kind words regarding the service and cleanliness of our hotel. We have made an effort to lower our food prices over this past year and purposely set our dinner prices in the cafe in the $10.95 to $18.95 range. The only item on our dinner menu over $20 is our ribeye. We recently added a meat plus two sides section to our menu at $17.95, and it has been very popular in the cafe and room service. Our breakfast buffet price is $13.95 and has not increased in two years even with multiple increases from our vendors. We feel that the price is in line with the quality and variety of this buffet. We offer a breakfast special daily that includes two eggs, a breakfast meat, potatoes and biscuit for $7.95. I am interested in where you saw a "Manager's Reception" or included "Continental Breakfast" on a website regarding our property? We do offer a continental breakfast and honor bar for guests who are staying on our Executive Levels.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

Stayed in a weekend in Dec. Didnot realize (no one mentioned it when booked and checked in) that EVERY Saturday is their "Latino dance night"! We stayed on 12th floor but still heard the loud music from 1st floor ballroom at the midnight. Called front desk and was told the regular party would end at 2 am. Then the "dancers" started yelling and talking (guess they were heading back their rooms after drunk).

If you are looking for a quite weekend get away like me, this hotel doesnot fit you.

Have been a Hilton honor gold member, disappointed for the first time.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Lafayette. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced as a result of our Saturday night Latin dance party in Maximilians Lounge. This is the first time I have ever heard of a guest hearing the music on the 12th floor of the Tower Building. Maximilians is in a separate building from the hotel rooms and I have never heard a guest noise complaint even from the second level, adjacent to the club building. I will find out from our Club Manager and DJ if they have made any changes to the volume of the music recently. I am also sorry that our Christmas Party guests were disruptive on the way back to their rooms. I can assure you that this type of disturbance is very rare at the Hilton Lafayette. I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you a better experience.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This hotel has everything you need. It's clean, rooms are a nice size, good bedding, courteous staff and free WiFi in the room. At close to $200/night however, I was disappointed to find no water bottle in my room- really not a big deal but at $200/night you'd think they'd provide one....I was happy my company was footing the bill....
Pretty nice buffet breakfast available on site.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
jthackston, General Manager at Hilton Lafayette, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am sorry that your room did not have a couple bottles of water. We always place two bottles of water in our Silver, Gold and Diamond HHonors members rooms. Please sign up for this program at Hilton.com and it will be done on all future stays.
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011 via mobile

As a Hilton Honors Gold member, I was shocked at the lack of friendly staff at this hotel. I stayed here last night and was greeted with "What's up?". I expected "Hello, are you checking in" or something similar. Now the check in was super fast, room was clean and had no real issues other than the lack of a positive attitude on the part of the staff. I did not eat here so I can't comment on that. When I checked out this morning, the lady said "what room?" and then "do you need a receipt?". That was it. Very surprising. Also, when I typically stay at a Hilton property (which is 99% of the time, I'm given at least a couple of bottles of water. Not here - but I could have purchased water. Anyway, I think there is better service in Lafayette elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011
I am sorry to hear of your less than perfect experience during this visit to the Hilton Lafayette. The young people today feel that "What's Up" and "No Problem" are acceptable greetings and responses. We have been conducting specific Hilton training with our staff during the holidays to try and eliminate this type of slang. I am sorry that Bottled water was not brought to your room during this stay. Bottled water is placed on floors 11-15 daily, but it appears you were placed on a lower floor to get a King bed. Water should have been placed in your room ahead of check in. I hope you will reconsider your doubts of returning to the Hilton Lafayette when your travels bring you to our area in the future.
dayton, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband & I are in wheelchairs and have been on the road for 3 weeks staying in our favorite hotel, Hampton Inns. On our last stay we wanted a really nice hotel with room service to lounge around in. This is what we got instead:

1. Got 2 double beds instead of a king, even though my confirmation confirmed it to be a king. Two wheelchairs and 2 double beds, there was no room to move around.
2. The "shower chair" was broken and dangerous for anyone to sit on.
3. Got COLD eggs benedict from room service. Anyone ever heard of hard boiled eggs benedict? It was bizarre.
4. The chair at the desk area was leather. The leather looked like a cat had gotten loose in the room. There is no reason any hotel should have a chair in one of their guest rooms that looks like that.
5. There was a burnt out bulb in the lamp next to the bed which made it very dark in this particular room.
6. We had to move the coffee pot into the bathroom. There was no place near to plug it in where it was in the room.
7. There was no way to hang anything up the way they had the hangers, one behind the other.
8. The TV was very low quality.
9. NO MOVIES!!!
I've been a HiltonHonors member for years and years and have stayed at Hiltons many times. This is the worst Hilton I've ever seen. They don't believe in fixing anything apparently. It was pretty shabby.
In their defense, they gave us a better room rate when I check out, only because I asked, and they took off the bill for breakfast. It's not worth it to stay here if you want a nice hotel room.

Room Tip: Check tripadvisor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. I would like to respond to some of these issues.
1. When we renovated our ADA rooms, we purposely increased our rooms with double beds due to demand, I am sorry this decision backfired in this case.
2. I have personally inspected all ADA rooms with built in shower chairs to ensure their stability. This is now a line item on the quarterly PM program for Engineering.
3. I have shared your comments with our Chef and additional training has taken place with the Kitchen staff.
4. We are in the process of replacing all leather desk chairs due to this issue. Too many have been rubbed against the desk and frayed.
5. Our Room Attendants have extra light bulbs on their carts. I am sorry this was missed in your room.
6. In our ADA rooms the coffee maker was moved to the wall by the desk and an outlet was installed just for that purpose. It appears the entire coffee station was out of place in this room.
7. We had to reduce the size of the closet in our ADA rooms in order to get the bathroom dimensions exact. We will purchase wardrobe closets during our next renovation.
8. We purchased top of the line LG 37" TV's for every room. We now have over 85 channels and 23 are HD.
9. We did eliminate pay per view movies when we increased our channel line-up. The volume of sales had dropped dramatically over the past two years.
I can assure you that regular Preventative Maintenance takes place in all of our guest rooms, and for the past three years we have been in the Top 5% of all Hilton's for guests who have not Experienced Problems during their stay.
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights in September 2011 as part of a driving trip round the Southern States. It was our first visit to the US but we hope to be back before too long as we loved it!
We stayed in a lot of hotels during our two week trip, but the Hilton Lafayette is particularly memorable, mainly due to the wonderful staff who made us so welcome.
The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable and we had a great view across the bayou. We were lucky enough to be upgraded so that we could use the Towers lounge. The young lady who worked there in the evenings was so helpful and friendly and interested in our travels. I would also like to mention the check in staff - great sense of humour and very helpful with directions etc. Oh, and I loved having the door held open for me....
We would love to come back one day as we did not have enough time to see all that we wanted to. Until then we have very happy memories of a great stay - thankyou

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lake Jackson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Great hotel. I travel 7-10 days a month and it's nice to have such a nice hotel to relax in at the end of the day!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
jthackston, General Manager at Hilton Lafayette, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review. I look forward to sharing these comments with our team.

Been to Hilton Lafayette? Share your experiences!