“Excellent Food & you can't beat the price” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #209 of 474 Restaurants in Lafayette
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Excellent Food & you can't beat the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The food was delicious & the service was excellent. I take my out of town relatives there every chance I get. This was my friends 1st time eating there & they loved the food & atmosphere. They wanted to know when were we going back. The waiter was very nice, so we gave him a nice tip. Can't wait to go back, you can't beat the price.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Crowley, Louisiana
“MAKING UP CAN BE TASTY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The last few months, my wife and I have been using the excuse of online BOGO offers, to revisit restaurants we had quit frequenting for different reasons, to see if they had regained some of their lost luster.

It had been more than three years or so since we had eaten at Copeland's of New Orleans, located in Lafayette, Louisiana. Checking the recent online reviews prior to going, made me doubt our new resolve. On the site we checked, most of them were nasty.

Our return took place on a Wednesday, just before noon. The dining area was as attractive as it always had been, as well as clean. The staff greeting us somewhat involved in themselves, but our server, unlike what we used to experience at Copeland's years ago, seemed very proficient, outgoing, and though over extended with the number of tables she was responsible for: Openly amiable to all our desires, and we had several throughout he course of the meal.

My wife opted for the Blackened Catfish from the Lunch Menu, which came with her options for two side items, as well as their famous Biscuits. She chose the Smothered Green Beans as well as the Steamed Vegetable Medly Combo. This all came in for the price $9.49. She started with a Side Salad which when ordered with a meal, was unexpectedly very reasonable at $1.49. They make their dressings in house and as years before, are still very tasty. (This is probably the best bargain on the menu. The fast order joints even charge more than that now on their value menus.)

She loved the Catfish and the Veggies. She mentioned the Catfish earned a "9" on her scale of "1-10".

I had mentally pre-selected what I was going to order, from the menus online, before arriving. It was disappointing to find out the three possible entrees I had selected, were no longer available at this restaurant. I had been looking forward to their Prime Rib, followed next by the Smoked Pork Chop entree, all from their Dinner Menu, and at the worst, their excellent Fried Cajun Sausage Dumplings from the Appetizer Menu.

I then had trouble deciding what to order, but finally resigned myself to the 'ol Cajun standby: Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Sausage and biscuit, which came in at a very reasonable, hard to believe $6.99. I, too, added the side salad to my order.

Not a huge Red Beans, Rice & Sausage man, I was literally muttering ecstaticly as I began to partake. Simply put, this dish was amazing today! The Rice was perfectly cooked and only slightly integrated with the Red Beans, which had a great spicy bite to them. The Andouille consisted of six large, round, fairly thin slices, grilled to perfection. This lunch item was off the charts tasty as well as very filling (I had to take half of it home even though the portion did not appear to be that large.). Just before leaving, I ordered another entree to bring home for lunch the next day! That's how good it was!

Copeland's Biscuits, at least today, were simply exquisitely divine! They accompany every menu meal. They're delicate -- NOT heavy in texture -- cooked to perfection in butter, and go down lightly and smooth. They're a real treat and at least today, for us, were served straight out of the oven.

We finished off by sharing a slice of Pumpkin Bread Pudding for a somewhat pricy $5.99 in lieu of the size of the offering. Having been wowed a few weeks back by this version of bread pudding at Bistro Byronz, we couldn't wait to dig into Copeland's take on this delicacy.

We should have! Copeland's missed up in a disappointing manner with this serving. This dessert was heavy in texture. It had been obviously micro-waved to heat it up which resulted in toughness as well as uneven heating. It might have been the prior day's left overs. The caramel topping was very tasty and made the dish edible. Even when I removed all the topping to try just the pudding alone, none of the pumpkin taste could be ascertained by either my wife or myself. I'd avoid this if you visit there.

With their online BOGO promotions, they automatically add an 18% tip to your bill PRIOR to the application of the coupon. I understand well why they do this, still, it seems somewhat snarky for this fairly decent restaurant chain to do thusly. I usually tip way more than this, but when the choice isn't left to me, I pay what they figure in. (Unless the service is horrible in which case, I demand my freedom to tip back, and lower it to 10%.) It's their loss when they take the tip aspect out of my hands which is sad on several account, not the least of which: This server was quite good.

In my personal food dossier, I keep track of "Best Evers" in my cuisine outings. Copeland's of New Orleans, in Lafayette, afforded to new awards in that category from our recent lunch visit there.

Their Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Sausage, is simply the "Best Ever" in my dining ventures.

Also, Copeland's Biscuits rated that same "Best Ever" distinction in the Biscuit category.

I must say, overall, we left extremely satisfied with our lunch. We will begin returning there again in our restaurant repetoire and continue, as long as this quality of food is the norm.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great authentic New Orleans food. Not your cajun spicy type of food. Seafood platter is the best but way too much for me. I usually get the shrimp pasta. You won't be dissappointed whatever you get.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've never been to a more poorly managed Copeland's than perhaps the one in Kennesaw, Ga. The staff was totally indifferent to its diners. I found myself wanting to leave as soon as I had orderd. You know how you order your food and realize that maybe you've made a mistake?...that this might go bad?...this could go wrong?...something doesn't seem right about this place?....That's what you get from this particular Copeland's. It took forever for the food. It tasted like it had been prepared in old grease. It was served with a kind-of "slung" out there kind of way to me. I took 2 bites and simply paid and left. The waitress could tell I was disgusted and she didn't care and never asked. Unbelievable!

Visited July 2012
“yummy lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

My husband & I really enjoy going to Copeland's in Lafayette for lunch on the weekends. It's quiet, the service is really good, & the food is yummy! My favorite is the crabcakes & shrimp alfredo, my husband's favorite is the red beans & rice. I would have given it 5 stars except for the bathroom. The bathroom is really never clean. It smells like it hasn't been cleaned. The rest of the restaurant is clean, it's only the bathroom. But that aside, I would still recommend it for the food alone.

• Visited May 2012