“WAY overpriced, smells bad, plastic sheets” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in Lafayette
denver
“WAY overpriced, smells bad, plastic sheets”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I'll start off by saying that I usually only write reviews for hotels that fall short of my expectations. The Holiday Inn at 3903 Ambassador Caffery in Lafayette, LA falls well below what I expect for what I paid. I paid $139 + tax for one night for a room with a king bed. I’m not upset about the price, sadly that is about the average now. I am upset about what I got for the price.

The staff was friendly. The facility was awful. The room smelled bad – I don’t know what it is or why the staff had not realized they need to clean / air out the room. It smelled like a roast beef sandwich with a lingering hint of urine underneath. Basically, it was gross. I would have opened the window to let some fresh air in, but the window would not open. I suppose that’s why the room has NEVER been aired out. Truly, it is nasty.

My second problem was with the bed. The plastic sheets (I guess all hotels must use something like this) were obviously plastic sheets, and it felt awful. It felt like I was sleeping summer camp bed lined with plastic that had been repeatedly washed in urine and never washed… that would account for at leasy half the smell in the room.

Thirdly, it was the cheapest mattress I have ever seen. I would be surprised if they spent $75 on this mattress. Considering the industrial strength plastic bag they use to preserve these things, they might as well buy a mattress that can stick around a while.

Lastly, the security was poor: most of the parking lot was unlit – not because there were not lights, but because the burned out lamps were not replaced.

Overall, I will not return to this hotel. There are NUMEROUS other hotels in the area with similar or better prices. In fact, I think I could have booked at the Hilton for less than this.

If Holiday Inn continues to allow their franchise owners to operate like this, all the gains that were made in the last decade will evaporate.

Room Tip: Try the Hilton on Pinhook.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear ponderosa1,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wausau, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express Lafayette was a good choice, price wise. The room was nice and clean and very pleasant to be in. Its typical of the Holiday Inn quality you get 9 out of 10 times wherever you go in presentation and quality; As far as what you're there to do... which is sleep. but don't base your travel experience on being entirely inside this hotel, or you will be disappointed.

I have only a few complaints that are pretty circumstantial. The breakfast was good, but I half jokingly said as we went down to the lobby how I couldn't wait to gluttonously tear into some pancakes. but they were out of batter for the duration of our stay.
They had great alternatives for the breakfast. Its more of odd timing and bad luck that the pancake machine wasn't available during my stay.

The workout room was pretty sparse. There are 2 treadmills and a recumbent cycling machine. No free weights or any type of resistance exercise is available to those who aren't creative with their own body weight. but even then... there's really no room to do your pushups or whatnot in the fitness room they provide. You might as well get some sun and jog to a park and do a fitness routine.

Pancakes and dumbells aside... the last thing we looked forward to doing was using some sort of pool/hot tub area after we had what seemed like the longest drive ever the night before; and all we wanted the next day was to loosen our muscles with a swim and/or hot tub.
Sadly, the pool was a dark stagnate green. This was not only disappointing, but also very surprising since you don't find such facility neglect with a major branded hotel like Holiday Inn.
There was no hot tub. I wish i was more diligent in asking, instead of assuming that a pool typically insinuates having a hot tub as well.

The room was clean and the staff was nice. The shortfalls are somewhat understandable. The problems are quick fixes so the these shouldn't really deter anyone looking to stay at this location for a restful night or so.

I wish i wasn't this picky, but i did pay a weeks worth of gas to work for one night's sleep. My stay was nice. it just wasn't "awesome".

Oh yeah... the sign isn't very obvious from the road. We had to take a guess and turn off after the gps said we were there... but again... the gps's fault primarily.

Room Tip: The King size bedroom is very very nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear JonB34,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.
We have addressed the maters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.
I would like to thank you for your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Montgomery, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We enjoyed our overnight stay very much. The room was small but very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. Service was excellent and the breakfast was hot and very good selection. I would definitely stay there again.

phyllis s

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Monroe, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I frequently travel to Lafayette (up to 6 times/ month) for business and have had nothing but wonderful experiences at this hotel! I had stayed at couple of the major hotels in the area, but none were as friendly or helpful as this one. The front desk were knowledgable about surrounding areas, and on several occasions provided me with directions. I was able to get extra work done in their business center which is well equipped. I dealt with several Front Desk reps and they went above and beyond for me. And it is heaven coming home after work to a freshly made bed and clean bathroom courtesy of their housekeeping! I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Lafayette, you will not be disappointed!!!!

Room Tip: I always book a room on he back side of the hotel to prevent possible traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011 via mobile

In November '11 I stay for three day at the Holiday Inn Express with a group. It was by for the best stay I had ever had! Excellent rooms, lovely staff and around great hotel!

• Stayed November 2011
Kay W, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you so much for your wonderful review!

We love to hear when we have guests that have a great lodging experience while staying with us. We look forward to having you return to visit us again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

is its convenience. There was forethought in planning this location. It is set back far enough from the very busy street to eliminate street noises. We have stayed here several times. Our latest stay was not the best. The carpet needed replacing. It may have been clean, but when there are obvious spots, I am always suspicious. The toilet had an annoying hanging problem. All in all, the breakfast was fine, but the cereal offerings left much to be desired: too much sugary stuff! we may elect to stay here again, because of its location, but we will look around for another hotel before we go again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I think management and staff at this establishment would do well to sit down and realize they are running a service-oriented business.

Bottom Line: I booked a room at this hotel for two nights, was charged for it, then denied access to it.

The staff told me a very elaborate story about how their vendor changed things on them and as a result, they have trouble accessing the rooms with the new key cards. (This may be fascinating to them, but I don't care.) I was given three different rooms and three different sets of cards until the manager said they would give me refund. EXCEPT NOT. They refused to refund me for the day I had checked in because of cancellation policy??? (Um..... I COULDN'T GET INTO THE ROOM) At this point it's not so much a cancellation as it is a refusal of service? Am I right?

There are also little things suggesting this establishment's doom in the future. The woman in charge was walking around in flip flops and jeans and when I told her my key didn't work she took me back to the room, and banged on the door a bit causing quite a ruckus. I felt kind of embarrassed for her.

There's plenty of other options in this area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
On behalf of the staff and management of Holiday Inn Express and Suites, I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. The staff and general manager were both aware of the problem with the room keys. There was a failure with the key machine during your stay. Every effort was made to minimize any inconvenience to guests. Unfortunately, circumstances beyond our control made this a difficult time for everyone.

Since this failure, the key machine has been replaced with a new and updated model with fail safes in place.

We hope you will visit the property in the future and allow us to serve you.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lafayette? Share your experiences!