“Fun atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Lafayette, LA USA
“Fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We met another couple for lunch on our way out of town. The serivce was pretty good as well as the food. I did not try the chips and salsa, I always get too carried away eating the chips and salsa and don't have any room left for the main course. Others in our group commented on how good the chips and salsa were and really seemed to enjoy it. I ordered the soup and salad on the lunch menu...it was the same price as the dinner menu, around $ 8.95. We all ordered off the lunch menu which is supposed to have smaller portions. I was surprised how large the portions were for salad & soup. I was expecting a small bowl of salad and a cup of soup. Needless to say I did not leave hungry. The lime tortila soup was very good. In fact no one from our group had any complaints.

• Visited April 2013

Portland, OR
“Great food, hot salsa, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My party of three ate here on our way to New Iberia recently. Saw a sign from the highway and just popped in. They bring chips and salsa to the table in the usual manner, but this salsa was really spicy, just perfect! The chips were fresh and hot too. I ordered the diablo shrimp and it was spicy, as advertised, and I thought had a great taste. It was served with a corn cake that was especially delicious. My Mom got a baked potato with crawfish that she really enjoyed, and the other in our party got tacos that were Texas size, even though we were in LA. The rice was also particularly delicious. Of course, we stopped in at a pretty off hour, say 2:30pm, but the service was good and the food was really nice. I would definitely recomend this restaurant to others.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Ive never received good service at picantes but the food was always good. The last few times I went the food was not nearly as good. I don't think I'll be back. I'm sad about it because it is close.

Livingston, Louisiana
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We were warned that this restaurant had failed to impress in the past, but my coworker and I were very pleased with our meals. I ordered the creamy enchiladas and she ordered the pepper and cheese stuffed steak. The food was good, chips and salsa were good, I didn't give 5 stars because we ate outside and it seemed as if we were out of sight and out of mind for a bit, but it wasn't too bad. Nice little Mexican place right off the interstate.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
LAFAYETTE
“Mexican food at it's best.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

With several, truly, vegetarian selections (unlike other Mexican restaurants in the area that think that shrimp and crawfish are vegetarian) and a great margarita this restaurant outshines the other Mexican restaurants is the Lafayette area. If I go into a Mexican restaurant and the margarita is bad that is a clue the meal will not be any better. Presentation of the food on my plate is another way that I judge a Mexican restaurant and Picantes excels. I like to be able to distinguish one item from another on my plate, and in most Mexican restaurtants, one item blends or should I say oozes into another. That is not the case at Picantes.

• Visited January 2012