“8 & 10 year old loved it” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: This swamp tour is for photographers, birders and lovers of nature who appreciate seeing Louisiana's answer to the Grand Canyon, "The Atchafalaya". Louisiana's Atchafalaya is North America's largest river swamp and ranks among the top 10 wilderness areas in the United States. The vistas have the appearance of pristine cypress and mixed wood swamp.
Tyler, Texas
11 attraction reviews
“8 & 10 year old loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I am so glad we booked our swamp tour through this company. It was very easy to find. This father son team are very knowledgable and kind. We saw lots of Osprey; several of which were in their nests. Carp was jumping out of the water and we saw a few of the Osprey with them in their talons. We saw several other varieties of birds, lots of Nutria, ( which we think are very cute), floating red ant piles in the water, several alligators including a alligator nursery where we all got to hold a baby alligator. Even though the trees and vegetation were not blooming and green just yet, the Cyprus forest was beautiful. Kim, our tour guide, said the best time to come for a tour is April. If we are ever in the area again, we would definitely take this tour again.

Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Atchafalya Experience is Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

If you are choosing a swamp/basin experience this is the real deal. The guides are professional, knowledgeable and want you to love and respect the basin as much as they do. This is not a tourist gimmick. I would highly recommend this experience.

Visited November 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
14 attraction reviews
“Very informative, educational, beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Even though I am a local girl, I had never taken a tour of my own Atchafalaya Basin. I wanted my grandson to experience this wonder so I made reservations with a company called The Atchafalaya Experience. The owner and his son (Mr Kirt Voorhies and his son Kim) conducted the tour on a beautiful but slightly warm Saturday morning. We all met up at the travellers center in Butte Larose and then went as a group to meet the two boats. Comfortable seats with plenty of leg room, each boat held about 7 people with no problem. We traveled down some tributaries in the basin, seeing deer and alligators, and my grandson was even able to hold a baby alligator on two different occasions. The tour lasted almost three hours from start to finish. What a wonderful way to spend a morning! The tour guide knew the area well, and we had a French speaking couple on board who conversed in French with Mr. Voorhies. I am sure they appreciated that. The price was very reasonable for what you got and I would highly recommend this tour to visitors and locals alike.

Visited October 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“jawdroppingly beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This trip was one of the best things I've ever done. Our guide was vastly experienced and incredibly knowledgable on the local plants, trees and animals, and we were treated to wonderful glimpses of alligators and ancient trees and ospreys. We were awestruck from the start to the finish of this boat tour, and our wonderful guide Coerte had a great sense of humour as well, which helped make it such a great day. The boat was easy and comfortable and we felt well looked after and really lucky to have seen such an amazing place. Go on this trip !

Visited May 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
“TOP Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was our first swamp tour and we had read the reviews on Tripadvisor, but honestly, this is really every penny worth.It was an almost 3 hour tour in a small boat with 5 visitors and Kim, the captain of the boat. We saw a lot of birds, 1 alligator (with a missing leg) and 2 big carps jumping into the boat. I can recomment this tour.

Visited July 2013