“Great ride, great guide!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 19 Activities in Lafayette
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: This swamp tour is for photographers, birders and lovers of nature who appreciate seeing Louisiana's answer to the Grand Canyon, "The Atchafalaya". Louisiana's Atchafalaya is North America's largest river swamp and ranks among the top 10 wilderness areas in the United States. The vistas have the appearance of pristine cypress and mixed wood swamp.
Quebec City, Canada
“Great ride, great guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went for a swamp tour in February 2013. We were lucky to get a warm day and we managed to see a few alligators. The guide had found a nest the day before and we touched a baby gator which was cool. We did see many birds and other mammals that live in the bayou. Overall, the landscape combined with the knowledge and the kindness of our guide made it an unforgettable experience! THe only thing I would recommend is going into spring when all the colors of the foliage are emerging and all the birds are migrating.

Visited February 2013

Vicksburg, Mississippi
9 attraction reviews
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to take a swamp tour, so when I found that I'd be in Lafayette with no plans for the day, I immediately booked the trip. I was not disappointed.

Kim picked us up at the Atchafalaya Visitor's Center promptly at 10:00 for what was supposed to be a 3 hour tour. 4.5 hours later we wrapped things up. It felt like we'd been gone 30 minutes. I could have literally spent all day on the swamp with Kim.

He took us back into the swamp, where I'm certain not many people get to go. His passion and love for the area are evident - and he's got some great stories!

Even though I visited in January, with no color on the trees, I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like the cypress forest. It was absolutely breathtaking and I could have sat there all day.

My only disappointment was that I didn't see an alligator. This wasn't for Kim's lack of trying, it was simply too cold for them.

I will definitely be visiting again in the Spring. thank you, Kim for a truly enjoyable day!

Santa Cruz, CA
“This is THE outfit to go with for an insider family style experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We went January 2012, met Coerte at MacDonald's in the dark and followed him in our car to the magical starting point. Sunrise was a once in a lifetime experience. We are serious photographers and it was entirely possible to get excellent photographs from the boat, no tripod - black and white & color. They were extremely generous about the duration, and we rescued a poor little dog swimming in the Bayou. Coerte is a totally knowledgeable highly educated scientist and this contributes a lot to the experience. (I hope to upload photos later.) It was worth the 3-4 hrs we paid for our custom trip.

Diane and John

Visited January 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent tour of the Atchfalaya Swamp”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

In August 2012 my husband, 7 year old daughter and I took the AE tour. It was the
highlight of our trip to Louisiana. Our guide Kim, shared his knowledge of the swamp with us and 2 other passengers as we glided (and sped!) our way around the swamp.
His small open boat allowed us to move through vegetation-filled waterways and push
right close to the bank to see an alligator slide and nesting mound. We also had a
bit of excitement with a flying carp that jumped into the boat. Father Coerte led
another group in a covered boat which we travelled with a few times during the tour.
At first we were concerned about being in an open boat beacause of the rain, but Kim
and Coerte did an excellent job watching the skies and avoiding any serious rain (plus, they provide rain gear).
We really appreciated the effort Kim made to stop and clean up any debris found in
the basin and we especially like the fact that their tour does not feed the alligators or exploit the wildlife in the swamp. Both things show how much they care for the eco-system.
We had a wonderful time learning about this unique habitat. Kim and Coerte make this tour to this amazing place extra special. Our family and especially our daughter, will remember this experience for years to come. I highly recommend!

Visited August 2012
Boston, MA
38 attraction reviews
“The best swamp tour I've been on!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

My wife and I are naturalists -- we love birds and nature in general, but we're not fanatics. We've been on perhaps a dozen swamp tours in the southern US and this is definitely the best. The guide knew his stuff, we were in a small boat (there were five people on the tour, but the boat could probably hold 6-8) which could get out of the channels and right into the swamp and we spent over three hours winding our way through the Atchafalaya. He found birds -- the most exciting for us were several owls -- but the herons, ducks, and egrets were more beautiful. This was good enough that we'll make an effort to return for the same tour at different times of year. (And it helps that the Atchafalaya itself is excellent!)

There were no airboats in the distance and no trained alligators!!

Visited April 2012