“Lazy River & Pool NOT-SO-GOOD” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   777 Coushatta Drive, Kinder, LA 70648   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kinder
Certificate of Excellence 2014
home
“Lazy River & Pool NOT-SO-GOOD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The jury is still out on the hotel, but wanted to write about the pool while it was still fresh on my mind. Let's do the BAD first:

(1) There is NO SHADE except on one tiny strip on one side of the area and it was totally MUDDY with what looked to be GREEN, SLIMY, SEWER OVERFLOW coming out of some capped PCP pipes in the ground. Really nasty! There was some more greenish water escaping over on the ground and sidewalk near the spa.

(2) Lazy River is overall just TOO SMALL! It is very SHORT, very SHALLOW (just 3 ft. deep), very NARROW so the inner tube floats take up too much of the space causing lots of jams and crashing into others. Instead of foam "noodles" they bought some kind of flexible things that float, but also are covered with plastic that is already cracking and is rough on bare skin. It's just NOT a very comfortable float in this Lazy River!!!

(3) Also there are very FEW CHAIRS and NO UMBRELLAS! It's a great place to get a sun burn!

NOW... for the GOOD:

(1) Basically it is a great pool for people with little kids as they have a good splash pad and lots of shallow water. Actually the entire pool except for where the slides came down was extremely shallow and hard for adults to float around in for the most part.

(2) Our 14 year old boy loved the slides. The water goes to 6 ft. only in front of the slides.
(3)The spa (oversized hot tub) was really hot and bubbly... very nice.

We stayed at LauBerge Hotel in Lake Charles on this trip also... so comparison is as follows: The hotels are both quite good, but LauBerge is MUCH LARGER. The water park at LauBerge is SUPERIOR by every measure!!! And the gambling was better at LauBerge, too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a great time overall.

Parking... Use the valet, it's free. Just tip them when needed. That was very nice... I really didn't want to have to look for a space, the place was packed.

Room... Very nice. Very new. A little high for what you get, but not too bad. It was a large room. Large tv, just wish it had a fridge. The single cup coffee maker was nice, they even give you two bottles "free". Most hotels charge you. The shower was huge and had multiple shower heads. They gave you a good shampoo/conditioner. Everything looked clean and for the most part, it was... But, when I was drying off, at an angle, you can see where they mopped the floor and missed a spot. This was not a normal spot, something dripped there and it was gross. I never saw it until that moment. Quiet room... Never heard neighbors or people in the halls. I think we were third floor, not far from the elevators.

The buffet... It was a pretty good size buffet (lunch/dinner).
For breakfast, it was good. It was about $10-14 per person (cannot remember exactly). The omelette station was very good.
For lunch/dinner... A LOT of food! Crab legs were awesome! What a mess though, lol! Go get your gambling card before you go. They will give you $5 off the adult buffet. We didn't want to eat at the buffet more than once. Just not worth it for us. Not too many places to eat in the area. We brought some snacks with us...

Pool... No outside food or drink allowed!! We just had our cups with water and they made us pour them out before we could enter (the two kids running the gate). What a joke. Seats are VERY limited, so if you do not go when they open, you will not get one. People were standing everywhere when we left, almost fighting for chairs... The slides were fun and the lazy river was cool, just got a little crowded. They have a swim up bar. That was popular! One small note of caution, in the middle of the pool, walking from as you enter the pool area to the bar/slide area, there is a small drop off underwater. There are no signs or warnings... We tripped on it (hurt the big toe) going towards the shallow end... Saw MANY people trip going the other way, almost spilling there drinks, etc...

Casino... We had a lot of fun! A small walk from the hotel lobby.
Moderate smoke in the area. They do have a non-smoking section, but we found it somewhat boring and we were not very lucky in there, lol. The waitresses and waiters seemed to be everywhere, taking your drink order. You almost never run out, so the service was great!

From what we saw, this was it. We were not in the room much. Spent most of the time gambling or swimming! We may bring more food with us next time. We do not like buffets, just too much food! We had a very good experience and we will go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms are large and modern. There are large over sized steam showers which are great. The new dream pool was open. My only suggestion would be to add a few more chairs around the pool. The staff was very friendly. The property is attached to casino and resturants which is very convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We arrived at the hotel a few hours early. Let me first say that every single hotel staff member that we encountered was VERY friendly. Each of them greeted us with a smile. Many of them thanked us for staying there, and wished us good luck at the casino. We were very impressed with the friendliness of the staff members. Upon our arrival, the concierge was friendly. We asked if we could have pool access prior to check-in, and the concierge said yes. But the pool was temporarily closed -- for what reason I do not know - but since the temporary pool closure was in the middle of the day (and in the middle of the day), then I can only speculate that there may have been poop in the pool, because the pool was scheduled to reopen at 2:00 p.m. And if there was poop in the pool, the hotel should really have a sign in the pool area indicating that small children MUST have swim diapers on when swimming. I saw no such sign. We then encountered a problem when we returned to the pool at 2:30 p.m. -- there were NO chairs available. Everyone had either placed a beach towel or other item on every single chair to "save" it in the pool area. Really??!! So we had nowhere to place our belongings. Normally that wouldn't be a problem (because who is going to steal a beach towel?! LOL!). BUT, since they required a photo I.D. or room access card to enter the pool area, where the heck were we supposed to put those personal items?? There are no lockers. We decided to have one family member sit with the items in the bar by the pool, and we would take turns swimming/guarding our I.D.'s and room access cards. 'Twas very, very frustrating. After swimming, we asked the gal at the pool shack what time the pool opened in the morning (Saturday). She told us it would open at 9:00 a.m. (Although their pool sign at the gate says 10:00 a.m.) VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: They made NO mention of wrist-bands for the following day (see story below). We then checked into our two hotel rooms and guess what? - both rooms had dirty comforters and dirty bolster pillows (the decorative yellow ones). Gross! Seven Clans should wash their linens properly! The next morning we ate at the breakfast buffet. We waited and waited for the food staff to replenish the scrambled egg container - but they never did. The line was backing up, so we moved on to the omelet station (which was very tasty, btw). My family member got into a small disagreement with another patron regarding the breakfast line. Maybe the hotel should section off the omelet station, so as not to cause any confusion which line is which. The rest of the food was edible, but not that great. Since breakfast wasn't that great, we ate at Fausto's for dinner (it was delicious, and definitely worth the 5 minute drive down the road). The next morning, we went to the pool around 9:30 a.m. and encountered a few problems. First of all, without any notice whatsoever they CHANGED their pool entry rule the next day - as of that day, patrons were required to enter the pool area with a WRIST-BAND. Geez, they could've notified us of that change YESTERDAY when we were leaving the pool (and inquiring about what time the pool opened the next dayl!). Obviously, we were coming back to the pool the next day. Helpful information goes a long way, people!) And they also NEVER told us that we needed to obtain a "pool pass" from the FRONT DESK, and then take the pool pass to the pool shack to obtain a wrist-band!!! OMG, that was soooooo frustrating!! And it wasn't just us - we saw many people angrily heading back to the front desk to obtain their pool passes. Once again, a little helpful information goes a long way, people. Even a note handwritten with a Sharpie marker and taped to the pool gate would've been better than NO helpful info about the pool entry change. We talked to a security guard that we encountered on our way back to the pool. He said that they changed the rule that day because they'd been having problems non-patrons in the pool (for example, there might have been 2,000 by the pool and only 1,000 hotel guests! Hence the reason for the wrist-bands.) And what frustrates me even more is that I called the hotel directly a few days prior to our stay - and asked about the pool entry rules. I was told that all we needed was a photo I.D. or our hotel room card to enter the pool area. I specifically asked if they hand out wrist-bands, and was told they didn't use wrist-bands. Sounds like the left hand wasn't talking to the right hand. The hotel manager needs to communicate better with its staff members. And we encountered the same pool chair problemas we did the previous day -- no available chairs, even though the pool had only been open for 30 minutes. Another problem - there were no beach towels at the pool shack. The gal said, "We're waiting on them from laundry." Really??!! The pool had only been open for 30 minutes and they had no beach towels??!! Nobody planned for beach towels to be available upon opening??!! Another problem by the pool - my elderly mother (80 yrs old who is in a wheelchair) wanted to watch my kiddos and I swim - but there was no shaded place for her to be. And since most of the pool chairs were not occupied by a human being (only towels, etc.), I took the liberty of moving two chairs apart and parked my mother there in the shade. The chair owners quickly scrambled out of the pool to check on their chairs. I told them that I needed to get my mother out of the sun, and hoped they didn't mind. They understood. But we shouldn't have had to do that. There should be MORE CHAIRS! Btw, I would not call the pool a "dream pool." The lazy river is very short - and crowded. On to another topic. We utilized the valet - and had no problems with that service. And now back to the room - we loved the fact that the rooms were non-smoking. Very cool! We were impressed with the well-stocked bathroom and also rain shower feature. (The toiletries were not Paul Mitchell products, as one reviewer mentioned.) And although we appreciated the Keurig coffee machines, four free K cups, and two free bottles of water, we really wished there were small refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms. We ended up buying some cold coffee beverages at one of the small coffee shops (which was probably their intention), and they were very tasty. We also bought cookies from one of the bakeries, and they warmed them up for us - very nice jesture and very tasty cookies. Our hotel rooms were quiet. We never heard our neighbors. And the hallways were quiet. No loud kiddos running down the halls (including my own kiddos). No slamming doors. It was nice and quiet. One drawback of the hotel - we didn't like the fact that you need an access card to get into the elevators. If you can't get into the hotel ROOM without an access card, then why would you need to require an access card AT THE ELEVATOR itself? Frustrating. We enjoyed the casino - although the casino could've used more waitresses. We had to track down a waitress just to get my 80 yr-old mother a beverage. We forgot to tip the waitress, but we located her and as I was walking up to her, she snipped at me and said, "I'm going on my break." I told her we'd forgotten to tip her, and I handed her the tip. She wasn't very grateful. All in all, I doubt that we would ever stay at the Seven Clans Hotel again. I was stunned at the problems we encountered. It was as if the hotel had just opened for the very first time. You wouldn't have known they've now been open for a full year! :(

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the 4th floor -- about 5 doors down from the elevators, and we never heard any ele...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Please be careful when you stay in this hotel. It appears very nice, but I got bed bugs from this hotel. I still have the scars on my body to prove it. I was not impressed with the staff. They would not allow us to check in until 4pm then the room smelled like cigarettes. The second room was supposedly fine, but I am still unsure if it was clean because it was open when we walked in. It was NOT a good experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a new hotel and it shows. The rooms are large and clean with ipod docking stations, Krueger coffee makers (with 4 kcups - 2 regular, 2 decaf), and two free bottles of water. The bathrooms are large and clean. It did say free HBO, but that channel wouldn't work. The hotel was at capacity but it still didn't seem crowded. The pool, however, was overrun with kids but I kind of expected that. I stayed away, although it did look fun if you have kids with you. We paid a very low price and since it's an Indian casino, the price they tell you is what you pay. There are no additional taxes.
All of the staff was very friendly. I commented on the lack of kids wandering the hotel and he said they have a policy of no kids in the halls/lobby without an adult. Great!
There are many dining options. We went to a cafe in the casino area and got good sandwiches for a very reasonable price. I just wish it was a Coke place rather than Pepsi.
There are several hotels here. From what we were told, the Seven Clans (newest) and the Grand Inn (older but going through some rehab) are priced the same. The Inn is lower priced and we looked at a room. It is adequate although I will always stay at the Clans. The lobbies are nice in all the hotels. There are buses that go from Austin to Kinder and my senior citizen mom is looking forward to taking it. I brought her here first to check it out to make sure it was acceptable and it definitely was.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Clear Lake, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is their brand new hotel there at Coushatta in Kinder, LA. The property is nice and very modern. There are a couple of shops in the lobby along with a bar and small eating area for snacks and drinks. Room was very nice with 40" screen TV and king bed with eight pillows. Bathroom was well stocked and shower was a dual spray, one from the wall and a flood spray overhead with plenty of room to spare. The casino was a short walk through the nice hallway. The buffet for the hotel was right at the entrance to the casino from the hotel. Good food and plenty of entrees to choose from. And, of course, the 100,000 square foot gaming area there with over 2,800 slots and 50 table games. A festive atmosphere. We did not go to the pool, but heard that it was real nice, but lots of kids.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, just some farther than others from the elevators, that's all.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Seven Clans Hotel? Share your experiences!