“Courteous Staff and Decent Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn New Orleans Airport

You added Sleep Inn New Orleans Airport to your Saves list
Sleep Inn New Orleans Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2830 Loyola Dr, Kenner, LA 70062 (Formerly Motel 6 New Orleans Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Kenner
Calgary, Canada
“Courteous Staff and Decent Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Overall, I was very happy with this hotel stay. I would recommend the hotel to people staying in the New Orleans area, especially if an airport shuttle is important to you. All of the cons I list below are relatively minor issues.

Pros:
- The staff were very nice, including the shuttle drivers (the free airport shuttle was quick and I had no issues with it whatsoever - it comes right to the "Hotel Shuttle" section of the 'Transportation Center' portion of the Airport).
- The continental breakfast was good, and included the option of getting an omelette made for you (rather than just the artificial scrambled eggs you usually get!)
- The room was very clean, as was the hotel in general. There were ample amenities provided.

Cons:
- The airport in New Orleans is rather far away from New Orleans itself, so keep transportation in mind when booking a hotel stay.
- This hotel is right next to the I-10, so if you get a room on the side of the hotel next to the Interstate, it won't be very quiet.
- The carpets could use some updating.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
East Windsor, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had a 6:00 a.m.flight, so I needed a bed very close to the airport with shuttle service as early as 5:00 a.m. This hotel met those requirements. The room was comfortable enough. The bed was comfortable, and I was able to get the sleep I needed. The room was quite small, although for the few hours I was there it really did not matter. However, if there had been two people in the room, we would have had to take turns walking around the bed. Although no smoking was allowed inside the lobby, there were truck drivers standing in the smoking area outside having their smokes. The front desk staff were very courteous, but the same could not be said for the shuttle driver of the van to the airport. When we arrived at the gate of the airport, I was busy getting my wallet out to get a tip for the driver while she got my luggage from the back of the van and while she came around to the passenger side. I had not opened the door myself, partly because I was still replacing my wallet and partly because I am accustomed to having the driver open the van door for the passengers. When she opened the door, she said in a surly voice, "What's the matter? Couldn't you find the door handle?" Surprised by this, I said, "Excuse me, what did you say?" and she repeated the exact words. My response was, "I was waiting for the door to open," and I gave her a generous tip (which is what I had gotten out before this episode). She looked somewhat surprised, and walked around to the driver's side. As she drove away, I noticed that my luggage ID tag had been pulled off my bag when she got it out of the van, and it was lying in the road. This was not a good shuttle experience. It's too bad that this driver is the staff person of the hotel that many guests will have the most interactions with.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Helix, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I picked this motel based on A) price and B) Airport Convenience and C)Sleep Inn standards. The price is especially good if you are a Choice Hotels member and use your AAA or AARP discount, or best of all, if you're sure you will use it and won't cancel, the "advance purchase" prices which are lowest but don't allow cancellation. The motel is about 4 miles from the airport and has a shuttle leaving on the half-hour. Price and airport proximity were big helps, but being 11 miles up Hwy 10 from the best NO entrance to the French Quarter/Walkway made my visit there easy, pun intended. I used 234B exit/Polydras and followed it to the end/waterway, then turned left across Canal to the large public parking area. So far, so good; the Sleep Inn Wi-Fi, "small King" bed and self-contained shower box plus a large closet and small refrigerator kept my convenience high/costs very low - small fast food restaurants are available starting one block south, from sandwiches to chicken to hamburgers. Careful in the neighborhood, not much light and pedestrians are protected only by a "yield to pedestrians" sign when crossing 2 - 4 lanes of traffic, but a major police property is just one block away. Breakfast comes with the meal, nothing exciting but not "continental" - eggs, breakfast meat as well as yogurt and grits/oatmeal, and an onsite cook who, for $1, will cook an omelet full of spices for you. "Exercise area" is a couple of running machines and a mounted television. This motel was what I needed: inexpensive, low hassle, just a place to sleep and check my email. Downsides: Neighborhood kind of rough, parking in front is pretty tight (big parking area in back), with Wi-Fi it is important you get their disclaimer page which not all firewalls allow. Will stay there again if I need an inexpensive, clean, convenient place to sleep near the airport/downtown NOLA.

Room Tip: Highway noise from elevated I-10 next to motel is loudest on the high number side, recommend the low...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I just stayed here one night so I could be close to the airport the last night of my trip. The location is good because there is a Wendy’s (and a few shops+places to eat + nail salon) right next to it and of course a Main Road to get you going wherever you want. It is not in the prettiest of locations so keep that in mind. Check in was no trouble, but the fact that there really isn’t a ramp type part out front made getting the luggage cart into the hotel a bit of a hassle. Maybe there is a ramp someplace around the corner someplace.. but regardless they need one in the front if only to help make the hotel more assessable. My room had a bit of an odd layout. Very cluttered that is for sure. The luggage cart could not even get into the room due to the way the fridge and wall of the shower are located. So you have to leave the cart in the hall and lug all your stuff out of the room. Even my suitcase had to be turned sideways to get through into the room. It was an inconvenience but not a huge deal. The bed was comfy and the shower was fine. Sink and is separated from the bathroom and shower. The shower was an odd shape.. unlike anything I’ve ever had in a hotel room.. but no issues with hot water ect. The free breakfast was fine. There was even a lady making omelets on order for you at a small table. It is by no means a fancy place.. but not a dump.. for the price I think it is a alright choice. I admit I would choose another place next time. My experience was not a bad one.. but I kinda think I can do better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

What a difference $20 a night less makes! I had the pleasure of staying at the Sleep Inn in Metairie (see my review for two nights). This time I was only in town a night and chose the Sleep Inn in Kenner because it was $20 cheaper than the Sleep Inn I had stayed in previously in Metairie. Well, I got what I paid for! While the Sleep Inn in Metairie had a warmth about it, friendly staff, and was in very good shape, the Sleep Inn in Metairie was just the opposite. This felt like a sad Motel 6 (which it formerly is), though updated. The carpets in my hall were stained and had ripples. The carpet in my room (which was a tiny room, bordering on what you find in Europe) had only a shower stall and had a rip with the concrete floor below showing (see photo). The breakfast bar while, good, is in a very strange area: The second you step off the elevator BAM! you are in the middle of it. It is rather disconcerting. Freeway noise has been mentioned here as the windows are not noise-proof. Blasting the a/c gave me enough white noise to sleep. I did fill out a survey afterwards stating the above; I received a perfunctory "I'm sorry" letter from the GM. Glad I spend only one night there. Next time, I will spend the extra $$$ and stay at the Sleep Inn Metairie.

Room Tip: As far away from the freeway as possible, though that may not help as the entire building sits next...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Elkins, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Honestly we didn't expect much because we paid a lower price....we were very happy with what we received and this Inn more than exceeded our expectations. After reading some reviews we were skeptical but they proved to be false. It just seems to me that some people have unrealistic expectations. Clean comfortable rooms with solid WiFi and a great breakfast. Works for us every time. We should know, we are on the road for our business nearly 40 weeks per year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Lafayette, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Both me and my wife needed to attend seperate business functions in New Orleans. This time, due the the fast rising high prices of facilities in the French Market, we decided to pick a moderate price place to stay. Also we wanted large spacious suite so we had room to work as needed in private, so I picked the largest suite they had.

The Bad:

The Inn is right next to the Interstate 10 overpass. The noise of the trucks going passing was piercing through the room all night. The room was dirty and smelled bad. The heater smelled burnt all night.

The breakfast staff was a little rude and the breakfast area was dirty. most of the time the breakfast staff was sitting in the other room chatting instead of tending to the guest.

We had a king bed as we usually require, but it was hard and very uncomfortable.

The Good:

Unlike downtown New Orleans, Parking was ample, easy to get to at no extra charge.

The room was very spacious and well organized. The largest room (SqFt) I've ever stayed in with multiple work surfaces.

Breakfast was included in the price. Included cook to order omlets as well as other traditional items. Food was average quality and taste.

The Really bad:

I complained, but since we paid in advance all they did was appologize and that was it. The following week, I sent detailed email to the corporate office. All I got back was an email appologizing. I responded to that email, challanging nothing was done. No satisfactury results!

Lessons Learned the hard way after two very sleepless nights.

Room Tip: Never pick a building closer than quarter mile from major interstate. If the bed is hard and the ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn New Orleans Airport? Share your experiences!