“Itchy Scatchy bedbugs” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Kenner
Alberta, Canada
“Itchy Scatchy bedbugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

That's right, bed bugs. Nasty biting blood suckers. We had never before been exposed
to the little varments, so initially weren't certain. Our stay was short (3 nights), but by our final morning we knew, bites around the ankles at first but by night three both my spouse and I were itching like mad nearly everywhere. Unfortunately, we checked out at 6 in the morning and I thought I'd call when I got home, ten hours of flying later I made the call. The desk answered, I said I was calling to report a bedbug problem, was put on hold for 10 minutes, then hung up on!
I wanted to give the hotel the room information but clearly they're not terribly interested. So now I even get to pay for ten minutes of long distance charges without cause. I should mention I also went online to the Hilton hotel site and emailed the information via guest services - no response there either.
Add to the bedbugs that you have to pay for WiFi and the coffee shop closes way to early to be useful and I'd not choose this hotel in future. BedBugs can be treated afterall, but hiking valuables to the front desk to put in a safe deposit box is a dated procedure that most hotels of this supposed calibre have addressed by adding in room safes.

Room Tip: check for bed bugs in the seems of the matress
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
MikeWalker1, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans Airport, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I want to assure you that our trained staff maintains a vigorous internal inspection program, to combat these pests. No doubt you are aware of the national concern with bed bugs and I can tell you that Hilton is on the front line of prevention. I appreciate your extra effort to notify us of the issue and apologize that your call was not handled appropriately. Also, I have not received a notice from our Guest Assistance department. If you are willing, would you please initiate another Guest Assistance file? This will not only allow me to isolate the room, but it will also provide me an opportunity to contact you directly and offer my personalized apology. Thank you again for your most valued feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Sevierville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Booked this room last minute on expedia. Was hoping that it would be a nice hotel considering the proximity to the airport. The staff was exceptional and our rooms were very clean. They accomodated our every request and helped with directions to places that we had wanted to visit. The planes caused no problems as far as noise and they have a wonderful sports bar and courtyard area. Easy access in and out and is very close to all attractions. If I can get the same price, I will most definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I got stuck here on a flight cancellation.
The rooms were small and nothing special. Actually a little below Hilton standards in my opinion. The lobby was very nice but check in was very slow.
My only real complaint was that Hilton never posted my stay credit or points for this night because it was paid for by the airline even though I had a $30 bar tab to my room.

That being said if the rate is good I would recommend this hotel but would not go out of my way to book it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011 via mobile

Check in was easy...our room was located on the fifth floor...

Very nice shower...very spacious room...great television, but horrible bed...

If I wasn't so tired, would have asked to move...

• Stayed June 2011
MikeWalker1, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Airport, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Thank you for your positive feedback. As part of our quarterly mattress rotation, I am having housekeeping pay special attention to all beds on the fifth floor, so that we might find and immediately replace the mattress you mentioned. I trust that every other aspect of your stay, particularly the service delivery, met and exceeded your expectations. I look forward to the next opportunity to be of service the next time you visit the New Orleans area!
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We spent one night here due to it's proximity to the airport. It's impressive when you walk in but that's where it ends. I thought hotels stopped charging for wifi about 6 years ago but I was wrong. Something like $13 for internet access. We had just come from a Hilton Garden Inn in AL that provided free wifi so we were a bit baffled. Everything was grossly overpriced here from the restaurant menu to the soda in the vending machine. The room was ok. There were some annoying aspects, like the overcrowded room to the unbelievably slow channel changing tv. They weren't huge issues but if this is how regular Hiltons are run then I wont be booking a room with them any time soon. The staff was very courteous and friendly however.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback. Unfortunately, the incosistency between brands as it relates to internet charges, often times causes confusion for travelers. We do offer free internet to our most loyal Hilton HHonors members and free wi-fi is also available in our public space. I invite you to join the Hilton HHonors family! I apologize for the issue with your television, but I assure you that this is not the norm and could have been immediately corrected if we had been made aware of the problem. Your comment about friendly and courteous service confirms that we delivered the level of service that our customers expect and deserve and I hope we have the opportunity to be of service on your next visit to the New Orleans area. Thank you once again for your most valued feedback!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Booked a one night stay at this hotel because it was close to the New Orleans airport. Paid in advance for a king non-smoking room with guaranteed late check-in. I called prior to our arrival and was told there was a shuttle to and from the airport 24 hrs a day.

We arrived at 12:00 midnight to the New Orleans airport and I called the hotel to ask that the shuttle be sent. I ended up having to call back three times over the 40 minutes we waited for the shuttle. Each time they said it was on its way (the hotel is only 2 minutes from the airport). The shuttle never came and we had to pay a taxi 15 dollars to take us to the hotel. When we got to the hotel, they radioed the shuttle driver who lied and said he was there but there was no one to pick up. At that time of the night there is no way we would have missed the Hilton shuttle at the New Orleans airport - there was very little traffic.

To top it all off the only rooms available at check in were smoking with two double beds. My wife and I were just back from our honeymoon in Europe and had been traveling for 12 hours - this was just NOT what we needed. At that time of the night, in that part of New Orleans, there are few options - so we stayed, especially since we paid in advance through Expedia. The room reeked so bad of smoke it was difficult to sleep.

They gave us a free entree in their restaurant to try and make up for it, but this was all just too ridiculous.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MikeWalker1, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans Airport, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback. I agree whole heartedly that it is unacceptable to have had to wait that long for our shuttle. Additionally, we go out of our way to recognize guests that are celebrating a special occassion. We obviously let you down on both accounts and once again, for that I apologize. I assure you that in following up with our evening team, I expressed my concern with how we failed to deliver the service our guests have come to expect and in fact deserve! We strive to provide the highest level of service to every guest, each and every day. I assure you that this is not an indication of the consistant level of service for which we are known. I sincerely hope you accept my apology and will afford us an opportunity in the future, to earn your trust. Thank you once again.
washington, dc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here a couple of nights during mardi gras weekend. It is conveniently located very close to the airport. That's about the only good thing about it.

When I asked about a executive lounge for honors members at check in I was told this was more of a business hotel so they did not have one. The front desk staff could not have been any more colder or less friendly.

I went to my room and was able to hear with ease the conversation taking place next door in the adjoining room. This was although I had specifically requested a non adjoining room. I called the front desk and they quickly changed the room for me.

The building overall is a cross between the hampton inn and the hilton garden inn, with a little bit of the hilton. The furnishings and decor throughout were rather plain. The hallways have a tacky design and color scheme. The mattresses were old or something - they were sinking in the middle.

There also is the bellhop edgar. When I walked upto his stand asking if they had umbrellas for guests to use he did not even bother to look up when answering no. I stood in silence until he made eye contact and said no. A little later I asked him when the next shuttle was. He said it would be coming any minute now. The next thing I know, he himself got into the shuttle van and drove it around for passengers to get in. He seemed quite disgruntled and not a customer service oriented individual.

• Stayed March 2011
MikeWalker1, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the inadequate level of customer service you received, as detailed in your review. I assure you that I have personally spoken with the team members mentioned and reiterated how critical it is to consistently deliver the level of service that is expected at a first class Hilton Hotel. I am happy to hear that we were able to quickly relocate you to a quieter area of the hotel. At the Hilton New Orleans Airport Hotel, we offer all of the services associated with a full service hotel and pride ourselves on delivering the top notch service our valued customers expect and deserve. I certainly hope to have an opportunity to have you experience the service we are known for, on your next visit to the New Orleans area!

Been to Hilton New Orleans Airport? Share your experiences!