“What a ripoff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Contempra Inn

Contempra Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kenner
Contempra Inn

Families
Business
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I arrived last night at the airport and a cabbie picked me up to take me to the hotel that was chosen for me because of the inexpensive price. He asked me if I had been there before and I told him that I didn't. After he dropped me off he handed me his business card and said that he works the night shift and would be glad to pick me up whenever I was leaving and take me back to the airport or another location.

I entered the lobby which seemed fine, nothing fancy but no "red flags" went off. The clerk was pleasant enough although he didn't have a name tag on and was wearing a hoodie. This was about 11:00pm so not exceptionally late. I got the key to my room and when I opened the door I turned on the light and was met with the smell of stale/acrid air mixed with smoke (of some kind) and rancid perfume. The room was very plain (which is fine) but the carpeting seemed dirty and it didn't look like much care was taken to presenting a clean room. The bathroom looked dirty or grimy/dingy.

The walls are very thin so I could hear everything that was going on whether I wanted to or not. Some drunk people were going up and down the hallway and making crude remarks and cursing. I got a chair from the room, turned it backward and placed the back of the chair underneath the door handle. I tried to distract myself by using my laptop and skyping with a friend back home to take my mind off of it. That lasted an hour or so. Then I heard a cocaine deal going on outside my door and I decided that I had enough so I called the cabbie and he said that he would meet me outside in ten minutes.

I checked out without any trouble but the clerk didn't ask why I wanted to leave after such a short time. I tried to share some of my concern but I got the feeling that he had heard this before. The cabbie told me that he never liked to take "nice girls" to that hotel so I got the feeling that the local cabbies must think there is a reputation associated with it.

I looked at the hotel's website and it's slogan is "The Friendly Quiet Place" ......... well, I can vouch that it isn't quiet and the "friendly" part may mean that people who go there for a short time to be "friendly" without regard for the noise they make that would bother other guests.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
FLA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

I was driving all day, I wanted to stay outside of New Orleans. Got off the 10 E and the Contempra Inn had halloween decorations on the front lawn, Which got my attention. I thought this must be great place to stay! The office seemed nice and the outside of the building looked modern. I checked in and went to the grocery store before going to my room.

I entered the room and saw the room was old and shabby. I didn't look really close, I needed to get something done on my laptop.After finishing my work
I turned on some lights and boy was I stunned. I went into the bathroom turned on the light , turned it off, and started packing up. This room was rough!

I travel a lot, and understand there are good and bad rooms .Some are old , some are worn . some are used a lot, but this place is dirty. The chairs were full of burns, the wallpaper was filthy and peeling of the wall, the bathroom had some nasty old filthy shag carpet in it. I swear, it looked a Hollywood set of a ghetto crack house. There was something on ceiling , like a soda has exploded and no one wiped it off. I had to get outta there!

I went to the desk and I figured if they are selling rooms like that to people, there really is no point of me arguing with anyone. I thought I'd be polite (my intention was to be as nice as possible to get a full refund.) I also figured they had heard the filthy room story before, and had a rehearsed response. I said something came up and I couldn't stay.

The clerks said I was in the room longer than 15 minutes so NO refund. | ask if I could just pay half and I'd be on my way. NO!

I asked what my options were and was told, all I could do was check out and be charged for a full night.

No way was I going to pay and leave and allow them to sell the room again !
I quietly left and checked in to the hotel down the street, where I stayed the night. I went back the next day and checked out of the Contempra. The same guy was behind the desk from the night before, I was hoping to speak to the manager, but no manager was on the property. (If I was selling rooms like that I'd stay off the property, I wouldn't be able to look people in the eye).

Yes, the room was cheap ,but I do expect it to be reasonable and clean. There must be some health code violations here but who knows the enforcement post Katrina.

I've heard the Mayor complaining about New Orleans not returning to it's post Katrina status and after this crap, I understand why. You'd think the Chamber of Commerce would recommend that all business owners offer their finest customer service and accommodations to tourists and guests . I was planning to go downtown , but after that fiasco, I just drove right passed New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
new orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

watch out for extra charges, and boy isnt the peeling wallpapaer and the facitlites wonderful. Many flamingos to entertain you and to mark your spot is you venture to ever return which I will not. If it had not been 3 am I would have gone back to office for a refund. Checking out now, lets see if I will get my $20 security deposit back for the tv remote control and key they give you upon check in. Should I mention the free puke on the sides of the bed again not one but both beds. Great place for a puke party!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Contempra Inn? Share your experiences!