“Large room, kind staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Harahan
Birmingham, Alabama
“Large room, kind staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The hotel has a small, short sign that was hard to see from the road as we approached. We were greeted warmly at the front desk and quickly checked in. The room was large and clean. We were in town on pleasure, but I this would make for excellent lodging for anyone on business. Breakfast in the morning was good, and the lady working in the breakfast area was courteous and helpful. It was a good stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

When I purchased my ticket for this trip, I didn't know that finding a somewhat reasonably priced hotel on the first night would be near impossible because of the Essence Music Festival that wrapped up last night. However, I had to find a room because I had already bought my plane ticket and my flight was arriving at 9:30 PM. Rooms were way over-priced everywhere, including this property. This was the best I could find within 30 minutes of the airport, even though the price I paid was far beyond the value of the property.

Google maps took me directly from the airport, but the drive began to feel sketchy when I crossed a bridge that seemed to be leading to nowhere. Then, as I got to the hotel drive, I noticed a casino next door. None of this was a problem once I got settled because I went out to eat after checking in and the area around the hotel was ok.

The young woman who checked me in was exceptional. She was warm, inviting and genuine. I had a problem as soon as I opened the door to my room. It smelled of smoke. I went back down and she immediately relocated me and then called to make sure that the new room was fine. That was a level of service that I didn't expect.

The room was fine. It was clean and well decorated. And, it was quiet, which I was concerned about because I heard noise coming from rooms as I walked down the hall. I didn't hear a thing the entire night, even from the floor above.

The common areas could use a lot of attention. The stairway, especially the front stairs, were in poor condition: dirty, over-worn carpet. The hallway leading to my room was dirty. I was concerned, until I got to my room.

I commend the service and professionalism of the young woman who checked me in. I encourage management to have the floors vacuumed during the day. Giving attention to cleanliness will go a long way in making the property more pleasing to guests.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
msytm, Manager at TownePlace Suites New Orleans Metairie, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at TownePlace Suites. I was sorry to learn of the condition in which you found the hallways upon check-in. This is far from the standards of cleanliness we commonly maintain. I plan to re-examine our scheduled cleaning times of the public areas during busy times. Also you mentioned the room smelling like smoke. We do have a non-smoking policy at our hotel. Unfortunately not everyone follows the rules. I can assure you we are taking every precaution in making sure this policy is strictly enforced.
I was very pleased to hear of the level of service you have received from our staff. We are in a highly competitive business, where great service is often the only distinguishing feature between us and our competition. Thank you for recognizing that.
Again, I certainly appreciate your comments and we look forward to serving you on your next visit to the New Orleans/Metairie area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

It is close to New Orleans, extremely clean, updated, has it's own kitchen, free wifi, breakfast and parking. Seriously, I could not ask for more. My profession requires me to travel A LOT and this is one of the best hotels I have been to recently

• Stayed May 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel was hard to find but we had a great stay. The employees were super friendly and helpful. The restaurants that they recommended in the area were among the best meals we had during our stay in the new Orleans are.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I brought my young son here for a week, so we could visit with friends. We moved away from New Orleans last year and were excited to return. This hotel was a big disappointment. My son enjoys hotel breakfasts so we went to the breakfast area for Belgian waffles. When I attempted to make a waffle, the batter was so runny it ran over the sides of the waffle iron in a huge mess and was practically useless, making half of a burnt waffle. The breakfast area was out of coffee. I brought this to the attention of the attendant in the breakfast area who responded, "Yeah, the other girl didn't make the batter right. She made it too thick yesterday, too. You can get coffee in the lobby if you want. Sorry." She could not have cared less whether any of the issues were fixed or not. We returned to the breakfast area this morning and the device that disperses the waffle batter was not functioning properly. When I saw the same unhelpful attendant in the room, I didn't bother to tell her. I already knew she didn't care. The rest of the hotel was underwhelming, with somewhat dated rooms and staff who just don't want to be here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
msytm, Manager at TownePlace Suites New Orleans Metairie, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at TownePlace Suites. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the less than enjoyable stay you had at our hotel. I appreciate your concerns, interest and the extra time you have taken to bring these matters to our attention.

Let me assure you your experience does not represent the quality of food or service we typically provide.

I will speak to my staff regarding your issues and reinforce how important quality and service is at our hotel.

I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to show you our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Travelers are raving about these Harahan hotels

Houston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

1st time staying here and experience was great for the price! Good breakfast, clean and updated room, and great staff! It's far from downtown (15-20 mins) but worth the drive! Marriott never fails.

I will admit was was skeptical about at the Towneplace because I usually go to a regular Marriott but they were all full in the city so I took a chance.

The room was very nice to my surprise. Was very clean and decorated nicely with up up to date furniture and appliances. I stayed nights Friday and Saturday. It is close to the freeway and next door to the movie theatre.

I would def stay again. I was very impressed with the service and the stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a very nice couple nights here as we stayed in NOLA before a cruise. I stayed on points, and chose the hotel because I was driving all over before the cruise, and not just staying downtown, so it was a good location for me. The staff at the hotel were awesome. They were very nice to upgrade us when we checked in. Allowed us to spread out for a couple nights. The room was quite spacious, with a lot of space to relax and do work. Had some nice added touches over similar hotels.

I see what others reviewed regarding the carpets, and the hotel does need a face lift, but it wasn't run down at all, just a bit worn. My only complaint was that there was not a safe.

There was not a lot in the immediate area, but a lot that was a very short drive away. Overall a nice stay, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to TownePlace Suites New Orleans Metairie? Share your experiences!