“Unimpressed overall but has some character” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Harahan
Cleveland, OH
“Unimpressed overall but has some character”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

The good:

Happy Hour beers/wine with some appetizers 5-7 pm (at least on a Wednesday night) was a nice touch for weary business travelers. Meatballs were really good.
Typical Hampton Inn rooms - nothing extraordinary but nothing trashy either.

The bad:
Hotel needs to be renovated. Maybe it's the post-Katrina effect around most of New Orleans, but it had a tiny bit of an odor. Again, nothing horrible but just a bit noticeable.

Considering the alleged corporate rate, this was a pricier hotel than I expect thus driving down value ranking.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel and if I have a choice, I'd rather not stay here - if it was $100/night, I would. Location was ok for what we needed it for (close proximity to a customer's location) but otherwise, ehhh.

Other than the 1 person in our party who had their suite with jacuzzi, bar, etc... the other 4 people in our traveling party all stayed there as well and most were unimpressed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toledo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

We have stay in this hotel several times in the past and had enjoyed our stays so I had no qualms about making reservations.
Upon our arrival, after 11 hours on the road, we checked in. The first disappointment was my kids were looking forward to the hotel welcoming cookies upon check in but were told this treat is only available during the week. Second disappointment was the odor of stale cigarette smoke in the hallway of our floor; this is supposed to be a smoke free hotel? Third disappointment when I got into the room I only found two sets of towels and when I went down to the front desk to obtain two more, we are a family of four, it was as if I was asking the clerk for her first born.
Thought to myself maybe Sunday was just a bad day for the hotel and Monday it would be better. Next day we came down to breakfast expecting the good breakfasts that we experienced here in the past only to find this time around cold, stale, unappetizing choices. We left and found breakfast elsewhere. Later that day we return to the hotel and my kids asked if they could get cookies from the front desk today since they could not yesterday. We stopped at the front desk and I told the clerk what happened yesterday and all she did was smile at me and told me she is sorry the cookies are only for guests who are checking in that day.
I know times are bad but when a hotel cannot give two kids a couple of cookies the word Cheap comes to mind.
We stayed there two nights and the next time we come in to visit with relatives we will stay at the Marriot which is a few blocks away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I used to travel to Haranan on a monthly basis, but had not been in several years. Now that I have work assignments in New Orleans again, I decided to go back to the Hampton Inn that I stayed at for several years and am not disappointed.

The location was easily found by my GPS and the hotel in a commercial / residential area, but on a quiete street, so does not experience freeway or other surrounding noise. Checkin was quick and easy. There is a nicely decorated, large and inviting lobby with a small front desk and nicely appointed common area. (Breakfast area) They have coffee and tea available 24 hours a day. They have a small convenience store / pantry that has reasonable prices for a hotel. On Wednesday nights they have a nice happy hour with some food, deserts, beer, wine, and sodas. They also have a guest laundry. (Coin operated)

The hotel has a small gym even for a limited service hotel. A few pieces of cardio equipment, weight equipment, etc. There is an outdoor pool, though no hot tub. To their credit they do have free access to a very nice local health club, just ask for the pass.

They do not really have a business center but have one computer a scanner / printer. The hotel has free internet access for guests and I found it to be speedy for hotel service.

The rooms are well decorated, roomy, and have a modern warm flare. They seem to have been recently remodeled and are very nice. Beds are typical Hampton Cloud 9 (nice beds). The rooms have nice old 25" CRT TV's., but over 50 channels so that was nice. The climate control works well but you can not leave the blower motor on for white noise while the climate control is still functioning. Bathrooms are well equipped, and very nice. Some rooms have microwave, fridge, and couches. The room was quiet and had no noise from outdoors.

The area has several many type of dining option you could want, some in walking distance..

The breakfast area had plenty of seating in the morning. Typical Hampton breakfast. The days I stayed it was omlettes, Sausage, Waffles, pastries, cereal, juices, coffee, etc. They also have the on the run bags with an apple, muffin, cereal bar, water, and mints. Checkout was easy as they had my bill under my door.

I have decided to make this my primary hotel when I stay in the Harahan area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

This Hampton Inn is, like every other Hampton I've stayed at, a good step above the average roadside hotel. The room is spotless, the beds are comfortable, the shower always works well, the internet is free and reliable, and there's no rush to grab breakfast. It's served 'til 10AM each morning.

I stayed in a couple of Hampton Inns this past weekend -- one was brand new and this one seems quite a bit older. That shows in the design, with smaller rooms and less closet/shelf space. They also haven't upgraded to larger flat panel (and digital) televisions. But there were 60 or so channels available on cable, so they compensated with plenty of selection.

The Hampton Inn Elmwood has a big breakfast area in the rather large lobby -- featuring waffles, hot items, and plenty of carbs. There is also a small meeting room.

Location is in a suburban shopping area, with the view and amenities you'd expect in such a location. It's anything but charming, but there's a big movie theater close by if you're looking for something to do without going into New Orleans. The hotel is good if you need to be in this area, or if you need a place to crash near the airport (that's why I was here). The surrounding area is dominated by chain hotels, and the Hampton is at least as good as any -- certainly it does not disappoint.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

We've stayed at the Hampton Elmwood many times over the years during business trips. It's very welcoming, clean and consistently a good experience. This trip I noticed the breakfast has been upgraded with waffles and some nicer hot items. The grab and go breakfast in a bag is also a nice touch, as is the Wednesday evening manager's reception (gumbo, chips, beer, wine & soft drinks...). Coffee, tea & hot chocolate are always available in the nice lobby. I've never had a room without a desk, chair, lamp, etc., so I'm not sure what happened for the previous reviewer. There's lots of counter space in the bathroom which is clean as can be. And I have to mention something I noticed this trip - the towels are extremely soft. The bed is comfy with lots of pillows (both firm and soft) and the trademark duvet that you know is clean and fresh. Free wifi, a small microwave and fridge plus ironing board & iron round out the amenities. The area is a business park so it's very quiet at night. There is a large strip mall across the street with stores ranging from KMart to TJMaxx, World Market & Old Navy to name a few. Plenty of eating options are nearby including fast food, a pub, chinese, Copelands, Starbucks and numerous others. A great place to eat, though a few miles away, is Zea Rotisserie & Grill on Hickory - don't miss it if you're in the area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We had early flights out of MSY and I wanted a better neighborhood than what's around the airport. We had no traffic in the morning (6am), so it was only about 10 minutes to the terminal. The property seems to be older, but it's well maintained. Great location next to a mall. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed here about a year ago and had a great experience. I thought the place really treated us well. So, when we were in town this year, we stayed there again. We had the same great experience. Not sure about other posters, but every room has a table, chairs, internet, fridge, and microwave. The beds and quilts were really comfortable. The internet is fast, and the pool was very clean. The breakfast is typical Hampton, but that is a compliment. The best thing is that it is right across the street from PJ's Coffee which is great (great scones). The laptop boards for typing in bed are a good touch. The Front Desk staff is great as others have noted, and we would definitely stay there again next year. I got the room for about $100 which is a good price for that part of New Orleans and the area. I liked the shower and bathroom set-up although I would note that the shower/water controls in the tub are very strange. I am not sure why they could not be simpler.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Elmwood? Share your experiences!