“Could Use an Update” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
“Could Use an Update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Been going to Trey Yuen in Hammond and Mandeville for years but was disappointed in the condition of the restaurant in Hammond. While I didn't dine in the main restaurant but in one of the back private rooms for a birthday party, it was apparent that the building needs a facelift. It started to rain heavily while we were there and the building started to leak in several places which didn't seem to surprise the staff. They were ready with buckets, signs and towels. Now for the food- it was average Chinese food and nothing special. The BBQ pork appetizer had zero flavor and a strange red coloring. The Shrimp Kew entree was okay with fresh shrimp but every vegetable tasted the same. The service was decent but a little slow with the food especially when we were the only cars in the parking lot on a Sunday afternoon. They "auctioned" our food when ready which I can't stand and not all the food arrived at the same time. My mother was the last to be served 5 minutes after my dish arrived. It was a special occasion and no attention was paid to the birthday boy. All in All - Hammond has better choices.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“NASTY!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My shrimp in lobster sauce arrived in a gel brown "sauce" instead of a white egg sauce. My first spoonful revealed a nasty hair. Sent it back with college kid posing as a waitress. Ordered a second dish, which was brought out well after everyone at the table quit eating. The manager never came to our table. When we asked the college kid waitress where the manage was, her response was "why, you want to talk to her." No, I do not want to talk to the manager, but I would have thought the manager would like to talk to us. Second dish was salty. Horrible service plus nasty food means we will not be back!

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“What happened?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I remember this restaurant being such a happy place to eat. My Mom & I came here to eat for Mother's Day. It has gone severely downhill in the past few years. I remember looking at the coy pond as a kid & even that hasn't been maintained. We were happily greeted as soon as we walked in. A hostess brought us to our table & set up a place to put my baby's car seat. However, the rugs underneath the tables are filthy, the chicken & pork on appetizer tray tasted like they had been nuked & we had to practically yell out for silverware & plates because no one checked on us after delivering our appetizer for quite awhile. When we finally did receive forks & knives, they were wet. The guy who brought our entrees out was very pleasant. Some of the service was good but it was hard to compensate for the bad. The entrees (Mandarin chicken & Moo Goo Gai Pan) were delicious! We hope this restaurant comes back strong after some cleaning, renovations & a management adjustment.

Mandeville, Louisiana
“Good food, accomodating service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We came with a group of 10 5th graders and parents for lunch during a science fair being held nearby. Food was good, service was good, price was good. They gave us a back room which was nice. Food wasn't over the top or so great that I would pick this restaurant over others in the future. I was expecting better food from what others had described. But it was good.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hammond, Louisiana
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We recently visited Trey Yeun and were delighted with the quality of our food. After reading a couple negative reviews from last year, I can't help but wonder what the problems were. We have been there many times and have never been disappointed. Being a creature of habit, I've always ordered the shrimp in lobster sauce. This time I switched to the mandarin chicken and was amazed at what I've been missing. It was the best I've ever had and the portion so large I could only eat half of my dinner with the remainder making my next day lunch.

• Visited February 2014