“Worth the Trip from New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars

The Historic Michabelle Inn & Restaurant
1106 South Holly Street, Hammond, LA 70403   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hammond B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Ont
“Worth the Trip from New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

After my husband's conference ended we rented a car in New Orleans and made our way to the beautiful Michabelle Inn. We had called earlier in the day to confirm that we planned to be there and arrived late. The checkin was quick and within minutes we were in the gorgeous Sheherazade Suite. Large rooms, wonderful jacuzzi tub, and lovely decor made this a wonderful romantic night. The cottage was surrounded by wonderful bamboo forest which provided great privacy. We also took advantage of the pool and hottub in the separate glass gazebo. Polite, friendly staff provided us a delicious breakfast in the large manor. The pavilon at rear of the manor is ideal for weddings, anniversaries or special ceremonies. We loved that the manor and grounds were open to be explored and photographed as we got to see how wonderful the full site really is. We wish that we were more local to take advantage of this great facility. Highly recommended for all couples.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houma, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Very quaint little place, and the rooms are excellent. We stayed in the Venetian suite and loved it. Nice big tub, and great furniture in the room. Lots of candles in the room also. Set the stage for a very romantic weekend. We did the romance package for one night and ate in the dining room. The food was excellent! The grounds are lovely, and the location is close to a lot of restaurants and shopping.

Our complaints were just little ones. My wife complained that there wasn't a lot of light in our room for her to do her makeup. They do have a big vanity table with a plug near it to bring your own makeup light/mirror. Also, our room had some loose tiles in it on the floor. Nothing dangerous or anything, but a little annoying when walked on. We got to see the Oriental suite before we left, and that's the one we will stay in we go back. And we will go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

My one impromptu night at the Michabelle became 2 when I fell in love with this grand home and lovely staff. Traveling on business, I found the Michabelle well-equipped with high-speed internet and the flexible check-in that a business traveller often requires. The home, grounds and guest rooms/suites are simply grand. I stayed in the Marie Antoinette room, which opens to the 2nd story porch shown in pictures of Michabelle. The moderate weather allowed me to sleep with the french doors open, use my laptop on the porch, and have coffee in the morning. The rooms have beautiful linens and antiques.

I will go out of my way to stay here in the future. Easy commute to Baton Rouge (40 miles), or even New Orleans at one hour. Hammond is a nice town with a couple fun, good restaurants. The weddings here must be spectacular, but I recommend the Michabelle for the b&b or business traveler as well. I could see if being a great place for a ladies getaway. Also, ballroom dancing classes by professional dancers are conducted in the pavilion. They kindly gave me a twirl and a lesson! That was a first!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I first stayed at Michabelle Inn on New Year's Eve 2009. Dinner in the restaurant was elegant, romantic and delicious. After dinner, while we walked the beautiful grounds, he proposed marriage. It was the perfect place for an engagement, and after spending the night in the gorgeous Sheherazade suite, we decided it was also the perfect place for our wedding.

We married on the grounds of Michabelle on October 30, 2010. The proprietors, Michel and Isabel Marcais, could not have been more gracious. Throughout the year of planning, Isabel was helpful and patient, answering questions swiftly, and making helpful suggestions to calm me down during the process.

One the day of our wedding, Isabel and her staff went WELL out of their way to make my dreams come true. I had a distinct theme and style for my ceremony and reception, and Isabel made sure everything was perfect for me. I dressed in one of Michabelle's upstairs balcony rooms, which was totally gorgeous, and looks great in my photos. Our ceremony on the grounds was romantic and beautiful.

My guests are STILL talking about the delicious buffet prepared by Chef Michel. The Pavilion was a breathtaking location for our reception, and everyone had a wonderful time. I received countless comments about the kindness of Michabelle's staff, and Isabel and Michel's hospitality.

After the reception, my husband and I once again spent the night in the Sheherazade suite. Michabelle's staff were so kind in helping us take our belongings to the suite, and even set us up with late night snacks and drinks.

I can not recommend Michabelle Inn highly enough -- whether it's just for dinner, a romantic overnight stay, or a wedding, Michel and Isabel will make sure you have the time of your lives. They have treated us so well over the past year that we plan on staying in our suite each year for our anniversary, and consider Isabel and Michel lifeling friends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

I was a little leary about our trip here, after reading the mixed reviews.... All I can say is that this place is extremely nice for the price you pay. We stayed in the Oriental Suite. It was really more like a little cottage, surrounded by bamboo. It was equipped with a very large, romantic jacuzzi, as well as a shower, microwave, and mini fridge. Some reviews mentioned the hot water running out. We never had this problem. We had dinner there our first night. I had the rack of lamb and my husband had the beef tenderloin. Both were excellent. We were not served the lobster bisque that some others had complaints about. We were served another shrimp and crab meat bisque that was delicious. People should know, however, that the food is gourmet French cuisine.... NOT cajun food, so I can see where some people who are used to spicy LA cuisine might be disappointed... It is all in what kind of food you like as to whether or not you would enjoy this kind of meal. Breakfast was delicious and very hearty.... started with a full plate of various fresh fruits (kiwi, banana, orange, pear, nectarine, grapes), followed by warm croissants and muffins and then by omelets.... VERY YUMMY! I normally do not eat that much food for breakfast, so I was absolutely stuffed and had to wait hours before being hungry enough to eat lunch. The only complaint I have is that the bed was a bit hard, but the other good qualities of the room made up for it. I would totally recommend this place to others!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Gray, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I would not recommend this place for a B&B traveller, at least not from March thru October. They are more interested in having weddings there. They never informed us that there would be construction when we came. They acted like it was a great bother to wait on us. Dinner was terrible!

They did give us a suite room, but it wasn't what I had wanted and the breakfast was good. They just didn't have time for us!

Been to The Historic Michabelle Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!