“Housekeeping issues - and no Wi-fi” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond

You added Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond to your Saves list
Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 South Morrison Boulevard, Hammond, LA 70403 (Formerly Quality Inn & Conference Center)   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Hammond
McKinney, Texas, USA
“Housekeeping issues - and no Wi-fi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Okay, it's an older property. I get that. And yes, the Eighties wants their decor back. I get that, too. But 3 lamps with burnt out light bulbs? The carpet squeaks when you walk on it barefoot because it's so damp and funky? Eeew. On the plus side, the room is roomy and the bathroom was clean. Tired, but clean. No complaints there. However, when my husband called the front desk to report we were sitting in the dark because the only working light was in the bathroom, the desk clerk said he'd get some bulbs for us. An hour later my husband called back and was told that the desk was "too busy" to get the bulbs to our room, but my husband was welcome to come fetch them.

The best part of our overnight stay was the incredibly good pizza delivery from Johnny's Pizza.

Room Tip: Outside corridors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your response as we use all comments in helping us improve our guest experience. I am sorry about your lightbulb experience and can't adequately explain how this happened because we inspect rooms on a daily basis. I hope you will give us another try if you should ever return to Hammond.

Robert Everett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

People come and go, but the quaqlity of service and overall amenities are excellent. This is an older property that continues to be well kept up and should be seen as not only an excellent option to staying in the New Orleans metro area because of sasfety and security issues but because of the value you get for your dollars spent. Indoor-Outdoor pool, Jacussi, Meeting facilities, convenience to shopping needs and restaurants of a wide variety of fares. I cannot say enough about my stays here.

Room Tip: Internet service is best on the north side near as possible to the check in area. But the Lobby off...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tunica, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My kids and I needed somewhere to crash for a few nights. Now walking into this building you would think you were walking into Ebassy Suites are some place really nice until you get your key and go to your room. I was like wow I know I didn't just rent this room. It stinks really really bad, mildew all on ceiling in bathroom. By this time I had already given them my card info and no way out with no extra cash to go somewhere else. And to top it all off I went to use dryer after putting $1.75 in it only to find out it was broken called front desk they told me had to call manager. Only for them to tell me they could not give me a $1.75 back they said machines belong to an outside vendor and IT'S up to them to give me my money back really how sad. Manager says machines had been broken for sometime. you would think the door would have been closed and locked, lights off, and out of order signs on them but no it was open and light blinging so bright it would blind you not until i got in the mangers butt about my $1.75 that a million dollar company would not give back she hurry up and ran and put out of order signs on both washer and dryer like really now you want to let someone know that your machines are tore up how many people have they ripped off with thoses machines and lame lines about not being responsible and can't get their money back. I have stayed at comfort Inn in varies of cities and never had this problem. I guess that's the price you pay for trying something different but never again will never get my money especially hammond. ChoicePrivilege you need to pull this one off the map.. very disappointed

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
We regret you had a bad experience at our property. I was made aware rather late concerning your problem with the laundromat which is provided by an outside vendor for the hotel. Our desk clerk attempted to refund your $1.75 but you were unreachable.

carlinv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I am staying here now . Cant get wireless in room they told me will work in lobby I could set in there and get on line. Room stinks!!! bathroom tub is stained. Realize this is a budget chain but for $99.00 would have expected alittle more. Was going to stay 3 nights but will pay more and go someplace better!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
We have both smoking and non-smoking rooms and it sounds like you were given a smoking room in error. No excuses, but our front desk staff should have been more attentive to the reservation. We are presently upgrading our wireless system for the property and I am very sorry you had reception problems.

Thanks for your response.
Kilgore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband stayed here and the first room he was given had roaches and no hot water. He was then given another room that did have hot water, but as soon as he got out of the shower and roach fell on his back. He had to leave and pay for another room. The manager still has not authorized priceline to refund us the money. A disgusting hotel with poor management!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Very regretful hearing of your experience while visiting our property. Your problems have been taken to heart and the situation corrected. Priceline was nottied of your situation on the day of your departure and was told to refund your money. We at the hotel never charged Priceline for your stay.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Destrehan, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Have had to stay here after mandatory evacuations from Hurricane Isaac. The stay has been extended since we cannot return home, however, the weekly rate will not be extended to those of us being displaced from the storm. Many of us have lost over a week in salary and things are sure to get worse. There is no understanding from management to those of us suffering from this hurricane. I can understand their point, but while sitting in the breakfast area, many guest staying here had to listen to the day manager complain about having to work long hours during the storm (I wish I could work and get paid this week!) and complained about many of the guests staying in the hotel specifically. The comments were hurtful and unprofessional and should have not been spoken by a manager. Things are stressful in the area and some of us cannot even return to a home that we are not even sure is still there yet. The rudeness of this manager just made a terrible experience even worse!

I agree with a previous reviewer, Wifi cannot be accessed in some rooms, mine included. (even before the storm started) I do have to say that the maid service has been very nice and very considerate of those of us having to relocate our lives to this hotel, thank you to them!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the discussion you may have heard during your stay. I would like to know if the person in question is male or female and were they wearing a uniform or name badge. I take problems like this very seriously and having personally gone through Katrina in New Orleans I can understand your feelings. As to the Wifi problem our entire system is being upgraded and should be completed soon.

Thanks for your comments.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

To make a long story short... rude and unconcerned management, and a facility that barely meets standards of cleanliness, and less than that on upkeep. Tried 3 different rooms, spent almost two hours trying to find a resolution (after a 10 hour drive!) and manager would not even speak to me after numerous requests. First room was on second floor and because of physical limitations and the hotel having no elevator(!), had to ask for different room on first floor. Second room had no wi-fi/internet access. I am a business owner and this is a must when i travel. The third room had wi-fi (their official solution to this is to put people on the side of the hotel where they can "steal the wireless service from Motel 6 across the parking lot"!), but the compressor was going out on the air conditioner and the unit would shake violently and very loudly. Each time I asked to speak to the manager to address my concerns and he never would speak to me. At one point I actually saw him tip toe out of the office to avoid speaking to me after the front desk clerk told him I needed to address the problems with him. The front desk clerk had every problem pawned off onto her, and the manager refused to take any responsibility for customer service.

Hotel is borderline clean in the rooms, and obviously no funds for basic maintenance.

Choice Hotels needs to remove their name from this hotel as it does not meet minimum standards in facility or management.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, go elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We are extremely sorry about the challenges you faced during your stay at our property. We will use your comments as a training tool in new hire orientation for all our team members. Unfortunately, I was not informed about your problems until after your departure. I have never avoided talking to guests as this is the best and most effective way to communicate and hear both great and bad things about the property. We are going through a remodel period at the hotel and regret you experienced problems with your room. Again, my sincere apologies for all your problems during your stay and thanks for the comments.

Robert Everett

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond? Share your experiences!