“Unprofessional Manager” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond

You added Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond to your Saves list
Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 South Morrison Boulevard, Hammond, LA 70403 (Formerly Quality Inn & Conference Center)   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Hammond
Destrehan, Louisiana
“Unprofessional Manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Have had to stay here after mandatory evacuations from Hurricane Isaac. The stay has been extended since we cannot return home, however, the weekly rate will not be extended to those of us being displaced from the storm. Many of us have lost over a week in salary and things are sure to get worse. There is no understanding from management to those of us suffering from this hurricane. I can understand their point, but while sitting in the breakfast area, many guest staying here had to listen to the day manager complain about having to work long hours during the storm (I wish I could work and get paid this week!) and complained about many of the guests staying in the hotel specifically. The comments were hurtful and unprofessional and should have not been spoken by a manager. Things are stressful in the area and some of us cannot even return to a home that we are not even sure is still there yet. The rudeness of this manager just made a terrible experience even worse!

I agree with a previous reviewer, Wifi cannot be accessed in some rooms, mine included. (even before the storm started) I do have to say that the maid service has been very nice and very considerate of those of us having to relocate our lives to this hotel, thank you to them!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the discussion you may have heard during your stay. I would like to know if the person in question is male or female and were they wearing a uniform or name badge. I take problems like this very seriously and having personally gone through Katrina in New Orleans I can understand your feelings. As to the Wifi problem our entire system is being upgraded and should be completed soon.

Thanks for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

To make a long story short... rude and unconcerned management, and a facility that barely meets standards of cleanliness, and less than that on upkeep. Tried 3 different rooms, spent almost two hours trying to find a resolution (after a 10 hour drive!) and manager would not even speak to me after numerous requests. First room was on second floor and because of physical limitations and the hotel having no elevator(!), had to ask for different room on first floor. Second room had no wi-fi/internet access. I am a business owner and this is a must when i travel. The third room had wi-fi (their official solution to this is to put people on the side of the hotel where they can "steal the wireless service from Motel 6 across the parking lot"!), but the compressor was going out on the air conditioner and the unit would shake violently and very loudly. Each time I asked to speak to the manager to address my concerns and he never would speak to me. At one point I actually saw him tip toe out of the office to avoid speaking to me after the front desk clerk told him I needed to address the problems with him. The front desk clerk had every problem pawned off onto her, and the manager refused to take any responsibility for customer service.

Hotel is borderline clean in the rooms, and obviously no funds for basic maintenance.

Choice Hotels needs to remove their name from this hotel as it does not meet minimum standards in facility or management.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, go elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We are extremely sorry about the challenges you faced during your stay at our property. We will use your comments as a training tool in new hire orientation for all our team members. Unfortunately, I was not informed about your problems until after your departure. I have never avoided talking to guests as this is the best and most effective way to communicate and hear both great and bad things about the property. We are going through a remodel period at the hotel and regret you experienced problems with your room. Again, my sincere apologies for all your problems during your stay and thanks for the comments.

Robert Everett
Ponchatoula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Remodeling my house and had to move out for a week. Surprised to find such afforadable accomodations at this great facility. Breakfast was included which was nice. Tory checked us in and she was very helpful. Checked on us several times to make sure we were comfortable. Keykey in housekeeping was incredible! She very kind, professional and very sincrere. Mrs. Juanita in breakfast room was hardest working lady I ever saw! She was everywhere, doing whatever to make sure the area stayed stocked and clean. Overall the staff made our staff very special. Oh, the hot tub was a nice touch as well! I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Upstairs might be quietest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

In the pictures everything looks really nice. And yea the lobby was very nice but once we got in our room it was horrible. There was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom, our door was very hard to close, beds were the smallest I had ever seen for two queens, bathtub looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a year!!!! Also when we walked in it smelt like someone was smoking dope in the lobby!!!! Worst hotel ever stayed in and my kids play travel baseball. I have been in many many hotels!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Hammond is pretty confusing and I needed sat Nav to find this hotel as many of the roads look the same in Hammond.

Hotel is fine, no issues. Rooms are clean and decent. Hammond is a wee drive to New Orleans which was okay for us as we enjoyed driving along the causeway roads, taking in the scenery.

Then it was easy enough to head on the way up into Mississipi.

Stayed July 2011
Columbia, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My sister in law and I stayed here for the Strawberry festival in Ponchatoula for 2 nights April 2012... the lobby area is beautiful and the free breakfast ok, scrambled eggs, grits, biscuits, pancakes, cereals, bagels, coffee and several juices... The beds were comfortable, bedspreads were lightweight with looked like bleach stains, rooms are old, pool looked nice, also indoor pool ... my complaint was there was no cold water in shower/tub, maintenance couldn't fix it, had to move to second floor room, no elevator... took several trips up and down steps to move everything after one night, then second room still not enough water pressure on warm to take shower.... they discounted us $20. Second room had boards sticking out from bed that was a hazard to hit your leg... I would probably stay at a different hotel next time... no refrigerator or microwave in either room with two beds.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were very tired with less than 2 hours from home so we got the only room left, or so we were told. Until we walked by atleast 5 other empty rooms. Guess that's what they tell you so you can hurry up and buy. The room was not updated, no microwave or fridge, towels were limited, room was small, etc. We arent hard to please but this room isnt for families who want comfort or convenience. I still would go back if I had to because of the desk clerk who was nice!

• Stayed March 2012
Robert E, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
We definitely appreciate all comments given, either good or bad. It's great to hear one of our team members were able to assist your needs in a pleasant manner.
Thanks for staying with us.

Robert Everett

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond? Share your experiences!