“Excellant staff - extremely efficient, helpful, courteous, all with a smile” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond

Save Saved
You added Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond to your Saves list
Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 South Morrison Boulevard, Hammond, LA 70403 (Formerly Quality Inn & Conference Center)   |
Ranked #10 of 16 hotels in Hammond
Slidell, Louisiana
“Excellant staff - extremely efficient, helpful, courteous, all with a smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We held my daughter's wedding at the hotel. The planning went very well, everything that was discussed and asked for was done, and done beautifully. The staff were excellant - they were so helpful and pleasant and did a marvelous job from decorating the La Veranda room and the Grand Ballroom, to providing delicious food for all the guests. Special thanks to Madonna Phillips, Stephanie Poole, Samantha Sharp and Brandon Perkins - I appreciate all your hard work and your hospitality. We had a fantastic time, and we thank all the staff for providing a wonderful and lasting memory for all of us!

• Stayed April 2011

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
hammond, Louisiana, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

What I experienced on Saturday night at the wedding was simply atrocious. There is no appropriate restitution for seeing my best friend cry during her wedding reception due to being treated poorly by Stephanie Poole, a Quality Inn employee.

A few other issues:
no drinks other than beer and wine for the first hour of the reception
no one serving food
once the first trays of food were empty, all other food was set out cold - refrigerator cold, not room temperature
not enough food for 100 guest, we reserved for 125
the wedding cake was not passed around, and was served with spoons
the bar tender disappeared for an hour at least
Stephanie Poole treated myself, the bride, and other guests horribly and will be named on my negative reviews - she should not be allowed to make another bride cry
the bride spent at least an hour of her wedding reception arguing with Stephanie Poole

Those are the issues I have with the reception. There was also left over food in the refrigerator in my own hotel room.

This reception was the most unorganized disarray I've experienced and it is a horrible shame that it happened to my best friend, on her wedding day. Quality Inn should do more than refund the entire cost to the bride and the many quests who rented rooms, but pay additional restitution to cover the cost of the experience she should have had on her wedding day.

I will spread the word via internet reviews, no bride or guest should be treated the way we were treated at your hotel. In my opinion, Stephanie Poole should not be in charge of anything that has anything to do with paying guests. She has an attitude that should not be acceptable. She is rude, pompous, and angry.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
HOTELIER766, Owner at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
We at the Quality Inn & Conference Center of Hammond, LA hosted a wedding of the Beretta/Guerra marriage. The wedding consists of very limited food and alcohol. We made several attempts to communicate with the bride to assure that her reception was a success. Whenever we discussed anything with her, it was always about alcohol and the bar, but never any specifics. We serviced her wedding with the best approach possible. The attendees of this reception were early drinkers including the bride and the groom. Before the ceremony began the entire wedding party had been drinking for a few hours. Couple alcohol with minimal food was a recipe for disaster. The attendees of this function were taking substantial portions of food and hence the food expired 30 minutes into the function. We provided more food at no cost to the wedding party but that was not sufficient for the reception. The attendees of this wedding were heavy Bud Light and Miller Light drinkers and with several cases of each until the point we ran out of both. If we had prior knowledge, we would have overstocked this particular brand of beer. The original liquor allowance was $500, that went quickly and it still was not sufficient for the attendees. They then approved another $300 which also went quickly. At that point, we had to go purchase more as we were prepared for $500 plus. One of the bride’s friends became verbally abusive to a member of my staff. I personally went back to the property to see what was transpiring and met with the bride and groom. The bride was apologetic for her friend’s behavior and agreed it was miscommunication between both parties and we compensated the wedding party by extending their function for our part in the miscommunication. We agreed to meet the following day to discuss their concerns. I proceeded to leave the property with what I thought was a resolution but I understand the wedding party continued to harass the personnel of the hotel using profane language. It got so bad, that it prompted a guest of ours that was not with the wedding party to contact Choice Hotels to report the incident and express how uncomfortable this made them by the wedding party. We can furnish both the guest complaint and the police report if necessary.
I am asking that the posting placed by “wovencomplex” be removed from our review page due to this person being incredibly inaccurate and the allegations stated by this person are incorrect and unfounded. We at the hotel have a police report filed against the wedding party for what transpired and an unbiased observer who witnessed what transpired. The wedding party and/or friends who posted are upset because their wedding was a disappointment due to poor planning on their part and we would not compensate them for it. The groom called me and asked me for a $1500 rebate (the total for goods & services was $3762 of which $216 has not been paid) or he would leave negative reviews. When I declined his request, that was when they decided to go forward with the attempt to ruin our reputation.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Stayed Saturday, March 5th. Arrived late in evening from New Orleans. Check in was easy and fast from the friendly gal behind the desk. As mentioned earlier, the lobby was not what I expected from a Quality Inn. Very nice, large and had the feel of a more expensive hotel that have inner courtyards. Some rooms are accessed from this beautiful lobby.

However I had a room in the "motel" side of the building. Nice thing was I could park my car right in front of my door. No long bag drag. The room was dated to say the least. Reminded me of 70-80's style. The king bed was comfortable and that was about all I was looking for in this stay. The heat/AC unit below the window could use a good cleaning, lots of dust and grime. Dark carpet hides dirt and after a few mintues of being barefoot my feet needed washed. Some rooms have a flat screen TV (at least the rooms off the lobby did), but mine had the older, bulky tube type. Worked well though. Room amenities included shampoo, but no soap. Maybe housekeeping forgot?

The hot breakfast was great. Scambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy among other items. Very well done. Large breakfast area with a TV at each end. Lots of seating for everyone.

Disappointed in the hours of the indoor pool/jacuzzi. I was hoping to go for a swim and relax in the jacuzzi before checking out in the morning but those facilities didn't open until 9am and I was leaving before then. Looked nice thru the window from the lobby but that was as close as I could get. The outdoor pool looked nice too (outside temp was a liitle cool for me), but it too didn't open until 9am.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I was in Hammond visiting the Southeastern College with my daughter trying to get her in. I had to stay some where for the night and I didn't know where to go. I noticed this hotel because my daughter mentioned to lets go there. When I entered the lobby I had an aww look cause the lobby had the feel of the French Quarter. It was beautiful. I was greeted with a warm and polite smile. I can not remember the young lady's name but she surely helped me cause I didn't have any where else to stay. The first room we stayed in was suppose to be nonsmoking but for some reason it smelled musty and like someone had smoked in it. Also we found a ashtray in the room. I informed the front desk that my daughter and I had asthma and it bothered our throat and they were happy to change our room to another one. The other room was cleaner and smelled fresher. The beds were very comfortable cause I have problems with lumpy or hard springy mattresses but their beds were excellent. One thing I would like to say is that they could dust their rooms more and better and make sure in the corners of the rooms in the ceiling are dusted also for spider webs, and to make sure the rooms have refrigerators and microwaves cause one room did and the other didnt and I couldn't keep my refrigerated items cold. But I also would like for the bar to be open so residents can go and relax and the resturant open so you do not have to leave your room and drive to go get something to eat. That would make this hotel a spectacular one. Also put the indoor jacuzzi on cause the water was cold and it wasn't on for us to use. The breakfast that morning was more than enough. They do a wonderful job in feeding their guest in the morning. We left full. I will tell all my friends when they visit louisiana and hammond to sleep at this hotel. One thing I also believe is that they should expand the bathrooms a little more for more room because it is tight moving around in there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed here for a soccer tournament that was held on the fields directly behind the hotel. It was not our first choice of where to stay but you can't beat the convenience of walking to the games and having your room close by. This is of course an older style hotel (probably a Holiday Inn at its inception). A semi "Holidome" if there is such a thing. Most rooms faced outside. There were very few rooms that faced an interior setting. We were able to check in early without any problems. The room was clean. It was your standard "70's Holiday Inn Motel" set up. Floor A/C, bed, tv, etc. To the rear of the room was the sink area which opened into the room and the room with toilet and tub off to the side. King-size bed was comfy.

Don't waste your money on a roll-away bed. It was old, uncomfortable and not worth the $10 it will cost you. Sleeping bags on the floor would be better.

They advertised free wi-fi internet, but I could never connect to the internet.

Indoor pool and hot tub great for the girls to relax after games. But, be warned...the bar in this hotel is closed. Per the gal at the front desk. they only open it for special occasions and when the hotel is at a certain occupancy level. She will send you across the street to Don's seafood for the bar. Also the restaurant is closed and only serves the free breakfast in the morning. The breakfast wasn't bad. Was a lot more than expected.

In summary, it was nothing fancy, but it was clean. Would recommend if you are playing on the soccer fields nearby, otherwise, I think you can find better accommodations elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

I recently had to go to Hammond for a business meeting and was told to make my reservations here. While I usually only stay at Holiday Inn properties, I decided to give it a try. I had looked on there website and the hotel looked very nice for an older hotel. When I got there I was greeted by a young lady named Alyssa who was very polite and was very helpful getting me checked in. What first caught my eye when I arrived was the beautiful open lobby area, it reminded me of old style New Orleans French Quarter. My room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. I woke up the next morning and went to the restaurant for breakfast. It was more than just an ordinary continental breakfast. They had eggs,biscuits & gravy, grits and all the other usual things you would find on a continental breakfast. I was quite pleased and left there full. The breakfast lady was very pleasant and chatted a few minutes with me and made sure I was taken care of. A young lady named Tamara was at the front desk when I checked out and asked how I enjoyed my stay and what could they have done to improve it. I travel quite a bit and am usually only at a place one night but if i'm ever back in the area I will be sure to stay here. The staff was very courteous and the price was just right right. I highly recommend this place if you're traveling in the area and are looking for Quality and great service for the price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Recently, I was privledged to stay in the Quality Inn in Hammond, Louisiana and was thrilled with the place. The staff, Glenda, Cindy, Calvin, Stephanie and Amanda were very professional. The cleanliness of the Hotel and the grounds was most impressing. The mananagment was very helpful in every way possible. I loved my stay there. Thank you, RLR

LHR

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond? Share your experiences!