“It's ours..get off!” 5 of 5 stars

Greenhaugh, Northumberland National Park NE48 1PW, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Greenhaugh B&B and Inns
“It's ours..get off!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Like the last reviewer, I didn't want to review this after our last stay as I thought we'd found a true gem of a place and I just wanted to keep the secret to ourselves..

Well, we've just returned from our third stay there in 6 months, but I'm prepared to accept other people are allowed to stay there too. Mary, Frankie and their little "team" really do have an idyllic little delight on their hands and everybody should check this place out. The rooms are beautifully decorated and furnished (no remote for our TV but as we were either out walking or downstairs in the pub it hardly mattered..and it's nothing that a quick dig in the other half's ribs can't fix!) and the food great (I don't remember when I had better bacon..and the steak for the evening meal really was lovely).

The real star here, though, is the pub; just two tables for everybody to sit round, which serves to help - if any were needed - the already great atmosphere. The locals really are friendly, and nobody leaves here a stranger or without having had the mick taken. Great beer (really local, micro-brewed stuff), great service, roaring fire in the old range..this place is magnificent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

No way were we going to review this lovely place after the first time we had been. Purely selfish reasons we didn't want people to discover this little haven. We booked in for 2 nights over New Year (this being the second time we've been here). What a night, roaring fire,well kept beer, several malts (wine for the ladies),good homely food and good company. the pub was chokka by midnight then all pile out into the street for Auld thingy then back inside to be welcomed by free nips and mulled wine. Managed to get up the next day and have a walk around the Bastle Trail skirting the forest and seeing kites,buzzards and other birds not seen by your author before.
The room was warm and cozy with a decent power shower, the bed was really comfortable. breakfast was pleasant and the fresh brewed coffee welcome. Mary the host was amiable and fun.
There is no phone signal within the inn, for us this was fine but may be an off put for the more cyber dependent. ( Free wifi if your desperate for your e fix). The silence at night is lovely and the star gazing with no light pollution is awe inspiring.
So the secret is out, go on you know you want to go!

Room Tip: red room power shower
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
yorkie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

After a great day of golf turned up to the Holly Bush Inn around 6.30 expecting to book in for a nice meal and a good nights sleep. Was greated by a young man behind the bar, gave details that I had booked a double room for that evening. After waiting around 20 mins he came and told me they had no reservation so I gave him details that I had printed off, the booking was made around a week ago and I had confirmation from late rooms. The young man dissapeared again, he returned to inform me that his mum had not put this in the diary and they were full. I was most annoyed. He phoned a couple of other places and these were full. He finally booked us in at the Riverdale hotel about 5 miles away. We did go but most annoyed as I paid £70.00 for the room and I could have stayed at this hotel for £56.00 kgb offer Left my phone nos and email have not received an apology or any notification from the Holly Bush and the Manager did not even make an appearance beware when booking. One upset customer.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheHollyBushInn, Owner at The Holly Bush Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I am truly sorry this happened as I would not like to check in anywhere and find there was no room for me. I often have customers booking on line then phoning to see if I have their booking as it has happened to them at other establishments. This is very rare for us and it happened because our booking agent and Late Rooms actually joined forces that week and there were a few hiccups in the on line booking process and we were not notified in the usual format. I spoke to Late Rooms who were going to make Direct contact with you. I was not on the premises at the time or I would have spoken to you directly. I spoke to the Riverdale about your comment that you could have booked it cheaper with them and they would not confirm this with me. Sincere apologies, if you are ever in this area again please make contact with us.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here for the first time, it is in a beautiful setting, ideal for local walks and also in a 'dark sky' area. The accommodation was high quality, the welcome friendly and the food a notch above what you might expect from 'pub grub'. It was also great to sample the two local real ales available, and then sit in the beer garden and watch the stars appear in the milky way. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: One of the rooms is located above the bar, but this will be made clear when you book and you can req...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We popped in on a Saturday night hoping for a table. It was busy but they got us in!

Lady behind the bar very friendly, the waitress could have smiled a little bit more though.

Food amazing! And very well priced!

Very enjoyable evening!

• Stayed July 2012
Yarm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Perfect stop off on Reivers route cycle ride. Great food, great beer and very friendly (locals and staff). Thinking about returning very soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Co Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

After a hard slog in Kielder Forest during the Easter weekend we tumbled into the warmth of the Hollybush. A double room, I think it was the pink room, and what a comfortable bed. We were made very welcome, the dog too. Lovely food, good beer, great company. A beautiful part of the country. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Holly Bush Inn? Share your experiences!