“Very Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tchefuncte Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Folsom
Tchefuncte Campground
You added Tchefuncte Campground to your Saves list
54492 Campground Road, P.O. Box 982, Folsom, LA 70437   |
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Campground was very old and run down.Pool was small and allowing non camping guest swim.Camp sites very close and most in sun.The river was small with lots of trees and grass in it.The so call recreation hall was a very run down building with old screen doors.The play ground was a swing set that most have in their back yard already.The kids 4 & 5 we had with us were already bored the first day there.We asked if we could use our foam (bubble)machine so the kids could have something to do and the management was so rude and wouldn't allow it.We were so unhappy with this place we stayed one night.We paid for four nights and management would not refund our money back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The pro: the location isn't horrible. The river was nice. Cons: There is no "playground". It's an extremely cheap metal swing set. The pool is ok but the bottom of it is rough and hurt our feet. The bath house and outhouses were dirty and covered in bees. The rec room was hot and some of the games were broken. The store and the rates for the campground are overpriced for what is offered. Was charged extra for arriving "early", even though it was only an hour early and the campground was empty. The spots were on top of each other but luckily there were very few guests so we had enough room. We won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013
Houma, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The staff is poorly organized not knowing correct pricing charges. The grounds are poorly kept up.
The cabin was not properly cleaned nor prepared when we arrived. The cabin had a strange odor when we first enter the cabin. The very small play ground was not clean nor kept up. My grandson could have gotten stung by hornets if not for his awareness of the hornets flying near him we quickly got away from the playground and went to the cabin. The pond to fish in has snakes and grass poorly cut allowing snakes to approach without being noticed. Very dangerous for kids fishing and not watching for snakes. The creek doesn't have easy access to fish. The game room is very poor and you have to ask to have anything plugged in to play any games. Not a friendly feeling from staff. They don't compensate you for having problems while there for your discomfort. While trying to sleep the very noisy air conditioner unit kept waking me up during the night. Not planning a return visit nor refer anyone to visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Houma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We decided to book a weekend at this campground. We had never been here before so we decided to make reservations and stay in the cypress loft cabin. The website pictures were nice and they advertised satellite TV and Wifi service. When we arrived we were told that these services were not available due to the weather and they would try to fix it themselves the next day. This would be three days after the service initially went out. Why wasn't there an attempt to fix it before we arrived? We never had this service because we ended up leaving the day after we got there. The cabin had an odd odor and we were told it was possibly a dead bug causing it. I never found a dead bug anywhere. The cabin was not clean when we got there. The floors were dirty and the shower was still dirty from the previous campers.Then the stove wouldn't light because the pilot light was turned off. When I called the office, the owner came right away and lit it for us and told us it wasn't lit because they were not expecting our early arrival however we called a couple of days prior to arriving and was told we could come early and we gave them the time we would be there (3 hrs. early). The staff was very unorganized and no one seemed to know what was going on and how much things were. The playground left a lot to be desired. The slide had a huge hornets nest underneath it and luckily my son was not stung as it was very noticable when approached. There is an obvious lack of communication between management and the staff. I would not recommend this campground to anyone and I will not return. The amount of money they charge to rent their cabin is far beyond the quality it provides.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Florence, Mississippi, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

My husband, myself and our 12 year old daughter stayed here the week of Thansgiving. The campground is set at the end of a 2 mile gravel road, so needless to say it was extremely secluded and quiet. Even though some of the sites are oddly positioned, once we settled in it was fine. The river is small, but very beautiful and the owners keep a very clean walking trail along it. My family and I had no plans for Thanksgiving Dinner, was just gonna eat a sandwich but the owners, Cappie and Cora, invited us to eat with them and it was wonderful. We really enjoyed sharing a meal and a fun time sitting around the fire afterwards. Bath house facilities were adequate and clean. The staff, Karen, Cappie and Cora were helpful and friendly. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the sites next to the river and it was very peaceful.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I've read the other reviews,and here's my take. The people were friendly,the grounds were clean,the sites were ON TOP of each other, there was LOTS for kids to do! The bathroom/shower is disgusting and full of mold! I wouldn't return because there are too many places nearby that are nicer. Bit it WAS quiet..oh, the fire lady is a wood nazi. dont touch her wood - let the fire die ! or she yells at you. And for those of you looking for the river, look closely, its small but pretty.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Houma, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

This was our very first experience at Tchefunte campground, myself, my husband, and our four children. Although our immediate perceptions were not very encouraging, this turned out to be one of our best experiences yet. We had the best camper spot on the grounds, right next to the Tchefuncte River. I do not think I would ever park anywhere else in the park. The other spots do seem rather close and do not have much of a view. Additionally, the cabins were not all that much to look at; however, some of the "cabins" were almost new. The owners spoke with us and explained that they are attempting to renovate and improve the park. Even though, we are already sold!

The kids swam in the river and my teenage daughter got some sun on the levee; while my husband and I sat back next to our campfire and watched the kids play. It was extremely quiet and peaceful. We really enjoyed watching the squirrels and listening to the birds in the mornings over coffee. I find the other campgrounds in the area are overly loud and not at all relaxing. This was true camping!

The staff was more than welcoming and very friendly. Anything we needed, they were there to assist us. There was a band on Saturday night at the front of the park. They were very good- country. Everywhere we go, we hear the swamp pop or oldies. We haven't heard a band this good for a long time. Finally, the costs were completely reasonable. As a matter of fact, the camper spaces were very cheap in comparison to other local campgrounds. I stayed for three nights. I would have paid the same amount for one night at other local parks. Very good prices!

Overall, I was very impressed and cannot wait to visit this park again! Hopefully we will make reservations again soon!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Tchefuncte Campground? Share your experiences!