“couldn't have asked for anything more!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Last Minute 20% off!
victoria
“couldn't have asked for anything more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed 7 nights in an overwater villa for our honeymoon. We were so grateful and surprised when presented with champagne, strawberries and chocolate and a voucher for a complimentary candlelit honeymoon dinner to help us celebrate our marriage.

The room was huge and opened onto the large balcony. The bathroom was lovely, modern and the bath looks out over the water. The only issue we had was the bed was lumpy so after the first night sleep I advised the staff and the service was fantastic. They went and got a new mattress overlay from another island for us which was very much appreciated.

I can't rate highly enough the food on the island. I have a fructose intolerance which is quite hard to deal with but the exec chef ensured that all restaurants were aware and could cater for me. For every single meal the chef came out to go through my options with me and the exec chef came a number of times also to check up on me. The food was exceptional!

The islands are so beautiful and you have everything you need there. I didn't visit the spa so can't comment on that.

Maldives seemed like a once in a lifetime for us but I'm happy to keep saving now and hope we can go back to Anantara one day in the future, best holiday I have had.

Big thank you to all the amazing staff who made our honeymoon so special!

Room Tip: We absolutely loved being in an overwater bungalow but the only comment I can make is that unfortuna...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mfryar, Manager at Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear lozz13,

We are delighted to see that your 'once in a lifetime' trip has been a truly memorable one! Our team has been positive in providing you with your needs and we have shared your appreciation with them all. Thank you for sharing with us your recommendation on how we may improve our beach experience for guests staying in our overwater villas and we will review this with the team.
We look forward in welcoming you back in the near future so you can again experience the wonderful Maldives.

Warmest regards
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Me and my husband just came back from our 10th year wedding anniversary trip at Maldives and of course jetlag is upon us so writing a review is just perfect timing. Everyone should have this country in their bucket list.

First of all, Maldives is probably the best place for rest and relaxation. it is definitely the most romantic place to be (Travel channel is sooo right!). It's prestine beach is absolutely amazing. The sky was dark and it was a bit windy when we arrived the country but that didnt ruin our stay.
ARRIVAL:
Since our flight arrived at 10pm, we decided to get a local hotel in Male(which would be my other TA review) coz we didnt want to spend $$$ if we already lost half the day. Our local hotel and Anantara coordinate our transfer before our arrival to the country which I think was a plus. We left our local hotel at 11:45 am since the transfer to Anantara is scheduled at noon. We were greeted by an Anantara representative at the port closes to the hotel so it wasnt a long walk. We were the only guests picked up so it felt really private. We were given a cold towel with some aromatic oil in it (which i loved) and were handed a cold bottled water. it was abt a 30 min speedboat ride. The boat ride was nice since we got to see some of the atolls and how nice the water is. Upon arrival to the jetty, we were greeted with 3-4 resort representative and a local drummer! wow this arrival was sooo grand! They took an arrival pic and showed us to the reception area where we were given a ginger ice cold tea! although our room wasnt ready since we arrived the resort at 12:30. We waited at Aqua bar by the pool area for about 2 hrs but we cant complain. since we got busy taking pics and just enjoying the view. We are already mesmerized by that time.
OVERWATER SUNRISE VILLA
One word to describe our villa: AMAZING!!!!
The room layout was perfect, the bed was sooo comfortable, the view: SPECTACULAR, the bathroom: SPEECHLESS. The entry way was a lil dining area with coffee, fridge and mini bar. it opens up to the bedroom with a sitting area. the bed is facing the french door leading to the private deck overlooking the lagoon. the bathroom has a his and hers sink. a separate toilet area with the a glass bottom 12x12 that you can see the lagoon. an open shower area facing the ocean as well.... and the best part: bathtub - it overlooks the lagoon and it fits 2 people comfortably. I made sure that I used the tub almost everyday while looking out the window with a glass of wine.

RESORT and STAFF
The resort is clean and well maintaned. The staff are all so nice and very friendly. Yes sometimes due to the language barrier its a lil hard to communicate with SOME of them but they try their best to communicate with us. Our safe wasnt working when we got there and the quick response fr engineering/maintenance was INSTANT. Our housecleaning guy "Issu" was sooo friendly and nice. Me and my husband loved him! On our last night, the resort surprised us with rose petals on our bed, bathtub ready with bubbles and rose petals and decorated 2 swans out of bath towels. they also prepared our dining area with desert!!! choco mouse with 2 fresh coconuts! We were ecstatic!!! This was a great Anniversary surprise from the resort. It made us feel very special and they really made it extra memorable for us.
Another plus is our check out. Our flight was at 11pm so they were very accomodating of our late ck out request. we got to spend an extra half a day at the resort!

WATER ACTIVITIES
All the Aquafanatics staff are all so helpful and very knowledgable. unfortunately, it was a bit rainy and the winds were strong on some days so water sports were not popular. It was bit pricey as well if you ask me. There is a free 2-hr kayak rentals each day so we used it to go to the small private island where snorkeling was awesome!

RESTAURANTS
Since we didnt do the half or full board, our reservation only includes breakfast. There are 5 restaurants available in the resort since the other resort (Veli) was closed for renovations. Dining here is really expensive. you can easily spend more than $150 per meal. This is the only negative point I have. Although the food presentation really matches the 5-star rating. Baan Hura (Thai restaurant at Veli) is a MUST!!! Request outside seating so you can see the lagoon filled with tons of fishes, reef sharks and sting rays.

SPA
The spa was over the water as well. Me and hubby did the Maldivian Romance which is a 3-hr treatment. We were greeted with cold towels and a hot ginger tea as well. We were then sent to one of the spa villas where we stayed the whole time of the treatments. We had a foot scrub, body salt scrub, a honey/milk bath and an hr massage after. The therapists were awesome, the bath was sooo romantic that they even gave us green tea and dates. the tub has oils and some local flowers. the tub was also overlooking the lagoon. I even did a yoga on our last morning in Maldives. It was a beginners class but who am i to complain. yoga overlooking the gorgeous waters and spectacular view... unbelievable!

All in all the experience was soooo memorable that we definitely have to return and will recommend this resort to everyone. But make sure to prepare to spend money when going to Maldives (not just Anantara) Everything in here is imported so everything is expensive. I read a review before to make sure to buy bottled water fr the airport since water is exp in the resort. Yes it is expensive but only at the restaurants. They give you lots of bottled water in your room so you really dont need to buy some at the airport. One thing you have to buy is SNACKS, waterproof camera and sunscreen.

hope this helps! We really enjoyed our trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mfryar, Manager at Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear pilotswifey,

Warm greetings from the Maldives.

Thank you for sharing your detailed review with us. We are delighted to see that your 10th Wedding anniversary has been a truly memorable experience and your words of appreciation for our team are warmly welcomed.

We look forward in welcoming you back to Anantara for your next anniversary!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Anantara Dhigu, Maldives is the best place we have EVER stayed! A word of caution: There are actually 4 Anantara resorts all on the same Maldivian atoll: Dhigu, Kihavah, Veli and Naladhu, each with their own price structure and reservations system and management. But, they all share common restaurants - so be careful which one you book.

The Dhigu has an option of over-water bungalows or beachfront. We selected beachfront and were not dissappointed! Walk a few meters out your private courtyard and you are in some of the most pristine ocean water in the world. the gentle slope of the sand permits one to walk or swim 50-100 meters (depending on tides) without getting in over your head.

Oh - and the room! A gorgeous private bedroom and in some (small upgrade in price, but go for it!) - a private outdoor bathroom with a private plunge pool where you can - well, let your imagination run....

There are several restaurants. he best one is Thai, with totally authentic Thai food - the best we've ever had outside Thailand (and better than many IN Thailand!). When booking your reservation or at hotel check-in, select the 'meals included' upgrade. It's worth it and you will spend less than dining ala cart.

This place is truly awesome, and the staff is superb! We had bungalow 89.

Room Tip: ask for a beachfront bungalow near an end of the path - they are more secluded.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mfryar, Manager at Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear WhereUg0,

Warm greetings from the Maldives!

Thank you for sharing your review of Anantara Dhigu with us. We are delighted to see that you feel so positively about not only the Maldives but our resort as well and we look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

As suggested from the header, I was more impressed with Maldives over Anantara Dhigu.

Landing onto Male airport was surreal. Clear water surrounding the island was simply spectacular. Yes, like all the comments from my friends, what you see is actually 10 times better then any photo you find online.

Having made contact with the staffs from/at the Anantara resort counter, we were asked to roam around for approx 30 minutes as there were some other guest who has yet to arrive.

The 30-40mins speedboat ride is definitely recommended for someone like me who hasn't experience it before. Though 'normal', it was like a water-roller coaster ride for me! Then again, I am still deeply mesmerized by what I was seeing.

Upon arrival, we were provided with personalized check in but the profile on the registration card was wrong - one point down!

The view from the room was better than what we thought so that's a plus. However, sleep quality was at expense as both the floor and bed frame squeaks when someone walks pass on the outside.

Tips was given for extra service (when we ordered ice bucket to try the minibar's pre-mixed cocktails). Ever since then, staffs members started flocking and knocking now and then to provide 'any assistance' possible.

On the last day, photo took during arrival was framed and given to us on a complimentary basis. However, the salutation on the envelope was wrong! Awkward!

Apart from these, experiences at the poolside bar, Italian restaurant (both bistro and dinner upstairs) were mediocre at best. Like many other reviewers, Maldives, or at least Anantara Dhigu, is not the place if you are in search for gourmet food. Breakfast area is full of babies and kids. When I read that this hotel is kids-friendly, I wasn't expecting a kindergarten. Be warned.

The only blessing in disguise was definitely the Baan Hurra restaurant on Anantara Veli. Equipped with professional staffs from Thailand, the food itself were on another league, though as pricey as any others. On top of that, the famous Mango with Sticky (Glutinous) Rice was served with Thai Mango instead of the regular (extremely sour ones you get at breakfast) ones. We were actually disappointed for not visiting Baan Hurra again on the last night.

Water activities are recommended as the centre's staffs are extremely professional and helpful which you need them to be. LOL!

All in all, I had a wonderful time and Maldives (just being there with your partner is enough to negate any negative experience) is a great place to be. However, if you are looking for hotel that provides value, I am not sure if this is the resort for you as I need to have tried elsewhere to compare and conclude. Having read my experience, you be the judge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mfryar, Manager at Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear LuxJw,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent stay.

Our endeavor is to have all our guests leave having had a memorable experience and it is unfortunate that your experience has been less then memorable.

We have discussed the issues you have highlighted with our team and have taken steps to ensure these are not repeated.

As you have mentioned there were some very positive experiences during your stay as well as a desire to return to the Maldives. I would welcome the opportunity to offer my personal assistance on your return.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The view on the "Sunset" over water bungalows is amazing. The pool and amenities are also good. The downside of the hotel is the staff, they lack politeness and waiters are never near. One morning, a housecleaning guy knocked but I didn't hear him, he opened the door and entered my room, which made me feel uncomfortable since I only had a towel and he wouldn't leave. Huge language barriers with most of them. Food is good but a bit generic, specially in the pool area.

I would not return, but I don't regret staying there. Nights are overpriced, and there is nothing to do on the island except spend on overpriced food and limited water activities.

• Stayed April 2013
Mfryar, Manager at Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Adrian M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback about your recent stay.

I have reviewed your comments in detail with our team and offer our sincerest apologies for not being able to meet your expectations. We are committed as always to improve our guest experiences and hope that in the future we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you may see these first hand.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Five days of tropical bliss and luxury. Everything is expensive, from the airfare, airport transfer ($206 roundtrip incl taxes PER person), rooms, food...but you do get what you pay for. The villas were wonderfully spacious. Outdoor bathroom (with tub and 2 showers). Your own patio and loungechair. Infinity pool. A dreamy white hammock in the middle of the lagoon. Gym. We were lucky to catch the free cocktails every Wednesday from 5:30-6:30pm. It gives the staff/managers a chance to meet the guests. Room service food was actually better than in the restaurants (go figure). But if you do have to eat out of your room, do try the Baan Huraa (thai restaurant) at Anantara Veli (the sister-resort across the way). Fantastic Thai cuisine. A bit expensive but it IS good, and they have a set menu for 2 that can actually feed 3 people that makes it a good deal. The spa is super relaxing. Facedown on the massage table, you see a window into the lagoon below. Though you have to pay extra, I highly recommend the sunset cruise (it comes with champagne and hors d'oeuvres). Wonderful wonderful wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mfryar, Manager at Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear dissolvedgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us.

We are delighted to see that we have met your expectations during your stay and in the case of your dining experience at Baan Huraa & your sunset cruise your expectations have been exceeded.

We all look forward in welcoming you back to Anantara Dhigu in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Just checking out today from anantara. we've spent the past 4 nights here as part of the 1st leg of our honeymoon and the experience has been one I'll never forget. beautiful resort, beautiful sunset water villa, amazing food and hospitality.

I would 1st like to extend my gratitude to matthew and manesh, the hotel managers who went to great lengths to make amends and make our stay a wonderful, unforgettable experience (we had dirty water coming through the taps when we arrived which wasn't very convenient after a long hot journey, the problem was fixed within a few hours).

I would also like to thank issu, our room boy who kept our room prim and proper and was wonderful to talk to. Anything we needed he would go and provide.

I would also like to thank adam at the fudan restaurant who provided us with an excellent service.

and finally max at aquamania who took us snorkelling around nearby reefs which will undoubtably be the highlight of our stay here in paradise.

few pointers which they could improve on:

all inclusive option: drinks are very expensive here, although we were provided with complimentary dine around option after the dirty water incident, it would be nice if they allowed visitors the option of an all inclusive, even if it is just water and soft drinks.

complimentary late c/o: out flight isn't till 22:00 and the boat doesn't come to collect till 19:45. so we've had to spend 6 hours in the hotel lobby which i dont mind as u get wonderful views and wifi to kill the time. but it would have been nice if management could offer this especially for honeymooners so they can leave on a good note.

other than that can't think of anyfing else. the resort is expensive. but then so is everything in the maldives. But the experience has been well worth the money. amazing country.

anyway 4 more hours to go...

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!