We spent 5 nights in the Maldives, and can say it was an amazingly relaxing and luxurious experience, the perfect end to our Sri Lanka trip.
We landed in Male and were met by an Anantara employee straight away which was nice, who led us to the speedboat. The ride was smooth, and we were greeted at the resort by a welcome team. The check in process did take a little longer than we thought, however a really cute touch is that they took a photo of us, to give us as our parting gift when we checked out. We had chosen to stay in an over water villa, if you do go this is the only option, its the whole point of going to the Maldives!
The villa itself was great - clean, with a very comfortable bed that had a view of the sea and a lovely bathroom. Taking a shower while looking down and watching the fish in the reef is an unusual experience. As others have said the villas are starting to show signs of age, but even so they still looked fine and had everything you needed. The deck had a lovely large sun bed, on which we lazed and read. We did snorkel near our villa as well as there were some great reefs just under and near the villa. The water is lovely and warm and clear.
Veli is an adults resort, however guests from Dhigu can come across to use the facilities. This did annoy us a little, as we expected a little privacy from our villa, and to have parents with their kids snorkel right up to our villa and shout to each other ruined the tranquil atmosphere.
The pool at Veli is OK, it isn't that big and the view is the same as we got from our villa, and as you have the indian ocean to enjoy it wasn't that much of an issue, we spent most of our time on our deck, in the sea, sometimes on the beach (which is tiny but empty) or got the speedboat across to Dhigu as the pool there is much better. The spa at Dhigu looked amazing, you can get a massage overlooking the sea, but it seemed way too expensive for us so we skipped it.
Breakfasts at Veli are amazing, its such a friendly and lovely service, the staff are just great - the atmosphere is so nice it was perfect lingering over breakfast and enjoying the view, a great start to the day! The choice of food at breakfast is enormous, from the egg station, noodles, bread, salads, cold meat and cheeses, yoghurts and fruit. The quality of food is great, I loved the fresh fruit counter and the fresh juices the most. I only wish they had not run out of coconut water after the first day.
As others have said, the meals are expensive, but you don;t really have a choice as the resort has a monopoly over you, we chose al a carte over buffet. We ate at a few of the restaurants - Geckos, Baan Hura, Fudan and Arruzzo. In terms of experience, Baan Hura wins - the thai food was OK, but to be honest we find better in London, however what makes it is the service and the view - dining overlooking the Indian Ocean is priceless, we saw octopus, loads of fish and crabs and a couple of baby sharks during out meal. We chose the Indian food at Fudan and found it to be OK, it wasn't spicy enough, and the portions were far too large, I felt guilty leaving half my mains. The meal we most enjoyed was at the Italian, the food was delicious, the view was great and the service was friendly. If you go there don't miss the chocolate dessert, it is worth the wait.
After three nights, we got upgraded to an amazing villa, but on Dhigu side. This was the perfect end to our holiday - the villa was that great we barely left it. We were in villa 130 - which is right at the end of the stretch - so we had unbroken views out to the Indian Ocean. We only left the villa for breakfast and dinner, otherwise spent the rest of the day sunning ourselves on the deck, swimming in our private pool or dipping into the sea. As we were quite a walk along, we were given bikes which was a fun way to get back to the heart of the resort.
Overall we had a fantastic time here, it was a few days of pure luxury and indulgence!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat hand-in-hand to one of the most naturally stunning destinations on earth, a romantic paradise enveloped in soft white sands and turquoise waters. Just 20 km by speedboat from the airport in Male, delight in the private luxury of your own over-water bungalow, with all the comforts of home and then some. Unwind in your room, either over water in the crystal lagoon, or from your Ocean Pool Bungalow, with private pool and ocean views offering beach and lagoon access a few minutes stroll from your room, or admire the kaleidoscope of exotic fish and corals just steps from your over water and deluxe over water bungalow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Minor Hotel Group Limited, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Anantara Veli Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Veli Hotel South Male Atoll
- Anantara Veli Resort And Spa