“Nonexistent service” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Nonexistent service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I went to this place tonight with my mother and grandparents. The service was so slow, it was practically nonexistent. Our dinner took 2.5 hours, and not because we wanted it to.

To start, there was no one in front to greet us and take us to a table, despite the place being nearly empty. We waited around for 5 minutes until giving up and wandering around searching for someone to seat us.

Once seated, we waited another 20 minutes for our waitress to recognize our presence and take our drink orders, then waited again an inordinately long time for her to reappear with our drinks and take our order.

My mother has to ask for water 2 or 3 times before she finally got around to it, we had to ask for bread twice, and then practically beg for our salads after waiting no less than 20 minutes for a handful of lettuce thrown on a plate with a huge blob of dressing dumped on top, garnished with 2 sad tomatoes, 1 cucumber slice, and 1 pickled okra. The salad and dressing weren’t even mixed. How that mess could’ve possibly taken 20 minutes to prepare is beyond my comprehension. By the time we received the salad, we had been there ONE HOUR.

Next up was the marathon 45 minute waiting session after the salad for our entrees, which in total consisted of 2 grilled chicken breasts, fried shrimp and etouffe, and crab-stuffed drum. Half of these items and our sides were pre-prepared. Again, how this could’ve taken nearly 1.5 hours to produce is unfathomable. My 84 year old grandfather, becoming increasingly agitated, asked numerous times what is taking so long and where our food is.

Meanwhile, many tables of people who had come in after us have come and gone.

Once we were finished with our entrees, we asked the man who was bringing us drink refills and bread and clearing our plates if he could tell the waitress what we wanted for dessert. Amazingly, the dessert came out right away. Clearly the problem here was our waitress, since this man was on top of things all night, and once he was in charge of the order it came out very promptly. We would have been much happier if he was our waiter. Take note management.

So, 2.5 hours after our arrival, we finally finished our meal. When delivering the bill, my grandmother mentions that we’d been there a really long time. The waitress responds, “Oh really?!”. How out of touch with reality are you that you didn’t notice that?! On the way out, my mom mentions to the manager how we’d been there 2.5 hours. The manager responds with, “You must’ve been having a good time!” The front door of this restaurant must be the secret portal to the Land of Delusion.

Overall, the food was acceptable (after waiting that long anything would start to look good), but no means worth dealing with the abysmal service and absurd wait times. If you have no other option, eat before you go so you won’t starve to death before your meal is served.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Unique little place waaaay off the beaten path with excellent food.

Visited June 2012
Clayton, NC
“Worth the Drive!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was in the area as my son attended the Manning Passing Academy down in Thibodaux and had some open time so I made the drive up for lunch on 7/14.

Donaldsonville is a great little town and the decor of the Grapevine was perfect. I had the stuffed catfish, sitting on crawfish cornbread and it was amazing. I try not to eat big lunches and often feel guilty afterwards. I can tell you that I ate the lunch, it was amazing, and absolutely zero guilt afterwards. It was one of the best meals that I have had in a long time.

Prices are reasonable and the service was excellent.

If you are in the Baton Rouge / New Orleas area I can tell you it is well worth an hour drive (or so) for a dinner. Very nice, worth the trip.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Florence, Mississippi
“As described by Trip Advisor reviewers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Delicious, isn't that what we want to hear when checking out a restaraunt? Trust me, the gumbo, crab cakes, and crawfish pie is as good as you can expect, anywhere.

Visited July 2012
Houston
“Great cajun food -- and upscale.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Great menu --good cajun classics -- and the kitchen delivered high quality...

Visited June 2012