“Horrifying!” 1 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$100*
and up
Small-Group Louisiana Plantations Tour from New...
Ranked #1 of 2 Attractions in Darrow
Type: Historic Sites, Gardens, Outdoors
Activities: Dining
New York City, New York
“Horrifying!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

If you want to see a tacky, over-the-top, Disney meets "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" renovation then go see the tragic remodeling of one of Louisiana's most historic homes. I literally cried when I saw what had been done to that previously wonderful home. It is shameful, shocking and horrifying. A Ferris Wheel would be right at home now in the back yard.

Fresno, California
“Don' miss this beautiful piece of history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I Have traveled all over the world and have seen many historical homes. This is the first place that I have been allowed to sit on and touch the pieces in the home. The Owner actually still lives in the home. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. Orchids everywhere. So peaceful. If you are visiting New Orleans, this place is worth the drive!

Saint Gabriel, Louisiana
10 attraction reviews
“Taking Time for Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We visited Houmas House simply to have lunch on a Saturday on our way to Bocage Plantation for the night. My friend started out with the gumbo and I had the Caesar Salad. Both were very yummy. My entree was the bourbon shrimp served with roasted potatoes and sweet peas. Excellent. Portions were adequate to pricing. My friend had the crab cake which had a bit of mango. She said it was very tasty and the mango was definitely a pleasant add.

We did walk around the gardens a bit. Beautiful and very eclectic. We stopped by the Turtle Bar for an adult beverage. The bartender was friendly and informative. We plan on going back for a tour at a later date.

Visited February 2013
Fairport, NY
14 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Home and Gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My daughter and I visited Houmas House Plantation and Gardens on a recent Sunday morning. We had time before flying out of Baton Rouge and decided to drive the short distance to Houmas House. The house and surrounding gardens are beautiful and well maintained. There is a short video at the gift shop that explains the history of the property with a very interesting reversing timeline that shows the various stages of construction of the home. We went on the house tour and were very fortunate to have a private tour with Judy, a great tour guide. She was fun and informative. Unlike many historic home tours, we were encouraged to look around, touch, and really experience the home. The owner lives in the home (we saw him outside in the garden), and it was reallly different to see his PC and papers strewn around an antique desk in a grand old room. It was very interesting, but did not dwell much on the sugar plantation past of the home. I would love to see more of the area in the future. Houmas House is marketed with three other plantations along the road from Baton Rouge to New Orleans (advertised in the same brochure). These would make a great day of sightseeing. Houmas House also has a fine dining restaurant and a more informal restaurant, neither of which we tried. There is an extensive gift shop with the regular souvenirs, many books, and local artists and their work.

Visited February 2013
california
7 attraction reviews
“Great plantation tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

While planning a trip to NOLA, we knew we wanted to visit a plantation to get a feel of the old south. So once again I went to tripadvisor to see what was recommended. After researching the available plantations to tour we chose the Houmas House.This was based on reviews, pictures, and it's proximity to NOLA. Only 58 miles. I contacted the venue and spoke with a very friendly lady who verified the information on the web site. Upon arriving I went to the gift shop to purchase tickets and was greeted by a lady who called me baby and sugar at least five times during the transaction. Very charming. The tour it self was quite nice and different than most tours we have been on. The home is privately owned by a gentleman who lives on the premises. The tour guide encouraged us to sit in chairs, touch antiques, and take flash photography. This gave a feeling of almost visiting someones home as opposed to touring it. Nice touch. I highly recommend this plantation tour and would have given it an excellent rating if the owner would have charged slightly more for the tour and gave us all mint julip's at the end of the tour to enjoy in the gardens. Now that would have been the perfect touch of southern hospitality.

Visited January 2013